Did I Simply Just Recieve a Faulty Set of Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pavementprincess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L Magnum
I got new tires in March 2018. I went with the Nitto NT421Q's for my 02 Ram 1500 Reg Cab (Short Bed) 2WD on my 20 inch rims (275/55/20's). Well, here we are now and the tread is almost completely gone. Wearing is even among the tires (standard rotations every 6k miles), and I kept them filled at what Nitto recommended for my make/model/tire combo (which is 37 PSI), in addition to proper allignment.

After only 1 year and 10 months, and 18k miles in SoFlo city/highway driving, is this abnormal for Nitto NT421Qs? I was under the impression that these are high quality tires which should have lasted longer, especially when properly cared for.

Do you think I just received that 1/1,000,000 bad set?

Thanks.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I got new tires in March 2018. I went with the Nitto NT421Q's for my 02 Ram 1500 Reg Cab (Short Bed) 2WD on my 20 inch rims (275/55/20's). Well, here we are now and the tread is almost completely gone. Wearing is even among the tires (standard rotations every 6k miles), and I kept them filled at what Nitto recommended for my make/model/tire combo (which is 37 PSI), in addition to proper allignment.

After only 1 year and 10 months, and 18k miles in SoFlo city/highway driving, is this abnormal for Nitto NT421Qs? I was under the impression that these are high quality tires which should have lasted longer, especially when properly cared for.

Do you think I just received that 1/1,000,000 bad set?

Thanks.
It would be hard to imagine that all 4 tires were manufactured with a defect and that they were sold by the same retailer and installed on your truck. As long as I have been turning wrenches for Chrysler I have seen a new vehicle with only 5,000 miles on the clock and all 4 tires are worn into the steel and nylon. I have also seen the exact opposite with a 275/55/20 Eagle LS go to 131,000 miles on a 2002 Ram 1500 RC just like yours. With the way tires are manufactured today it would make sense to most that there is an issue with your alignment that caused the accelerated treadwear. I dont know what your maintenance or mechanical situation is with your truck so all I can do is speculate.

Did you buy the tires from a large retailer that will prorate the remaining tread?

OP
OP
pavementprincess

pavementprincess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L Magnum
It would be hard to imagine that all 4 tires were manufactured with a defect and that they were sold by the same retailer and installed on your truck. As long as I have been turning wrenches for Chrysler I have seen a new vehicle with only 5,000 miles on the clock and all 4 tires are worn into the steel and nylon. I have also seen the exact opposite with a 275/55/20 Eagle LS go to 131,000 miles on a 2002 Ram 1500 RC just like yours. With the way tires are manufactured today it would make sense to most that there is an issue with your alignment that caused the accelerated treadwear. I dont know what your maintenance or mechanical situation is with your truck so all I can do is speculate.

Did you buy the tires from a large retailer that will prorate the remaining tread?

Yes, fortunately. And yes, what you do say makes sense. However, nothing has been faulty on my suspension over the last few years. I even had the shop check my suspension when i got the tires installed. Plus it would be weird to get the even wear on the tires if my allignment was that off.

Im wondering if the shop had sold me a used set of Nitto's without me knowing. Nevertheless, I guess part of the reason for this post is for me to determine whether i get the same set of tires again, or try something new - like Michelins

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, fortunately. And yes, what you do say makes sense. However, nothing has been faulty on my suspension over the last few years. I even had the shop check my suspension when i got the tires installed. Plus it would be weird to get the even wear on the tires if my allignment was that off.

Im wondering if the shop had sold me a used set of Nitto's without me knowing. Nevertheless, I guess part of the reason for this post is for me to determine whether i get the same set of tires again, or try something new - like Michelins
I would definitely go to a different brand. I have my own preference for my vehicles but I have a ton of my customers who I have installed Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's on their trucks and they love them. I actually am running a set on my 2004 Ram 1500 QCSB. They handle good and they ride great. No noise. I have 37,000 miles on this set not with 6/32" of tread remaining.

I have also had really good results from the Hankook Dynapro HP2 in our tire size (275/55/20).

The Toyo Proxes ST-III's handle really well on dry pavement. They are decent in the rain. I have had several customers with 40,000+ miles on these tires.

OP
OP
pavementprincess

pavementprincess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L Magnum
Pavement princess or not, those are crossover and light SUV rated tires and shouldn’t last long on a 4500-5K pound truck.
What would you recommend? I've previously had Goodyear Eagle LS2's, and drove on them for about 6-9 months (they were a used set of tires which a guy on craigslist had on the set of rims he sold me). I had no issues with them, i just didnt own them for long since they were already low on tread when i got them.

OP
OP
pavementprincess

pavementprincess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L Magnum
I would definitely go to a different brand. I have my own preference for my vehicles but I have a ton of my customers who I have installed Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's on their trucks and they love them. I actually am running a set on my 2004 Ram 1500 QCSB. They handle good and they ride great. No noise. I have 37,000 miles on this set not with 6/32" of tread remaining.

I have also had really good results from the Hankook Dynapro HP2 in our tire size (275/55/20).

The Toyo Proxes ST-III's handle really well on dry pavement. They are decent in the rain. I have had several customers with 40,000+ miles on these tires.
Any thoughts on Goodyear Eagle LS2's?

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Goodyear Eagle LS2 is a mediocre tire. They are cheap enough and are quiet. But again don't expect to get a ton of miles from them. They'll get ya by for awhile. All depends how you drive and how much :)

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any thoughts on Goodyear Eagle LS2's?
The Goodyear Eagle LS's are a decent tire when they are new. They are okay for typical wet and dry weather. They tend to get slippery in the rain once they get close to being halfway worn.

They are not the greatest for dry weather traction for a spirited driver. They do spin really easy in a regular cab truck. Most of my customers only see a solid 25,000 miles before needing a replacement set.

Toyo Proxes III's are a ton better in dry weather and miles ahead in the dry weather traction department. I have run several sets of Proxes in my Rams and see about 45,000 miles from a set with hard driving.

Funny enough, a tire that I have had great results from is an off-brand tire called the Fullrun HS299 UHP in the 275/55/20. They have a pretty unique tread pattern and drive really well. They also do quite well in the rain. I started carrying them as a cheaper alternative to the big names for my customers and they seem to love them.

OP
OP
pavementprincess

pavementprincess

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L Magnum
The Goodyear Eagle LS's are a decent tire when they are new. They are okay for typical wet and dry weather. They tend to get slippery in the rain once they get close to being halfway worn.

They are not the greatest for dry weather traction for a spirited driver. They do spin really easy in a regular cab truck. Most of my customers only see a solid 25,000 miles before needing a replacement set.

Toyo Proxes III's are a ton better in dry weather and miles ahead in the dry weather traction department. I have run several sets of Proxes in my Rams and see about 45,000 miles from a set with hard driving.

Funny enough, a tire that I have had great results from is an off-brand tire called the Fullrun HS299 UHP in the 275/55/20. They have a pretty unique tread pattern and drive really well. They also do quite well in the rain. I started carrying them as a cheaper alternative to the big names for my customers and they seem to love them.
I definitely noticed that on the LS2's. I had them with low tread when i got them, and I hydroplaned on a city road while going a smooth 30-40 mph. I guess that is something I like about the NT421Q now is that they are great in the wet weather, even at the low tread theyre at now.

But thanks for the input!

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any tire claiming a high speed corning ability and wet traction is constructed of a soft rubber compound. Traction comes at a cost, and that cost is wear. It's also a passenger car/light SUV tire. Soft equals heat. Lighter duty equals heat. Warm weather equals hot roads and heat. What are the roads made of there and how fast are you cornering?