Did Redline Oil work against your Hemi Tick?

Did redline kill your hemi tick?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flatblack79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had good luck running Castrol Edge with a bottle of Lucas ZDDP zinc additive. Quieted down the valvetrain, now to quiet the exhaust leaks :eek:

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Greg thanks for updating us, we want everyone who has tried it to vote, so please vote unless you are waiting to see the tick subsides. I encourage you to look at bolts again, but if your hemi is still warm idle ticking please vote as well, gives the forum accurate info.

side note every uoa of redline is heavy the first time, it could be to leaching ions or increased wear from anti wear additives. Anti wear additives create more wear at first, then lower, it is a fact, that is why we have zinc break in oils.

I am reading through this thread and have seen this mentioned a few times. What is meant by "uoa of redline"?

Sorry if this has been mentioned. I am just trying to figure out if this is the best course of action for me.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am reading through this thread and have seen this mentioned a few times. What is meant by "uoa of redline"?

Sorry if this has been mentioned. I am just trying to figure out if this is the best course of action for me.

Read this thread, uoa = used oil analysis. It will tell you how bad the wear us, many guys like me with hemi tick have pretty crappy wear numbers. Multiple ones show you if your strategy is working or not. If you want one this place is great. If you do get one, let me know I'll walk you through a couple things.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Read this thread, uoa = used oil analysis. It will tell you how bad the wear us, many guys like me with hemi tick have pretty crappy wear numbers. Multiple ones show you if your strategy is working or not. If you want one this place is great. If you do get one, let me know I'll walk you through a couple things.

I should have known that. We use Polaris Labs for our trucks in the shop.

I requested a free sample kit from Blackstone. I'm close to an oil change and I want to get ready. I have been changing my oil at 7500 miles and have been using PUP 5W-20 for the last three oil changes. I put a Fumoto valve on there the first time I changed it myself. That will make getting the sample easier.

I used to have Firestone change it and they used Pennzoil Platinum. I changed to PUP when I started doing it myself. I am thinking about using the Red Line 5W-30 when I do my next oil change, but as far as I can tell, I don't have the tick. I do have a tick at startup, but it sounds like the manifold bolts. If I go to Red Line and it stops, then I know it isn't the manifold bolts. I have about 56,000 miles on my truck.

I have been using the Mopar oil filter, but I am contemplating using the Royal Purple oil filter. I plan on keeping this truck for a while. The last truck I had (1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport) had 209,000 miles on it when I sold it. That truck got Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it for as long as I had it. It had the 5.9L Magnum engine.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are changing oils, I would wait til you found an oil you were going to use long term, so you can set your oci, oil change interval. If you send the uoa off anyhow, make sure you take sample a little warm and fill the container full. Usually you need tbn, but like I'm saying that is pretty much useless until you use a single oil long term. Two main reason for uoa's, set oci and see wear, and some other smaller things that they will let you know about.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you are changing oils, I would wait til you found an oil you were going to use long term, so you can set your oci, oil change interval. If you send the uoa off anyhow, make sure you take sample a little warm and fill the container full. Usually you need tbn, but like I'm saying that is pretty much useless until you use a single oil long term. Two main reason for uoa's, set oci and see wear, and some other smaller things that they will let you know about.

I have my Red Line 5w-30 coming. It should be here Monday, so I'll probably do the oil change next weekend. I have the free oil sample from Blackstone, but I'll do like you said and wait to do the sample. Do you think I should do it on the next oil change after this one?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
sorry, remind me, it is a new truck? how many miles? what oil did you just run?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So yeah 56k miles would be a great time to do a uoa. The second and third uoa's of redline seam to be the best at revealing your wear patterns if you will do one with redline. Universally it seams the first redline run shows heavy numbers, there are some theories to why, leaching ion's or the fact redline has so many ep/aw that is knocks down some metal other oils don't, but if you see the uoa thread this trend doesn't continue, 2 and 3rd uoa's clean up nicely. At 7500 miles if you are staying with that as an interval, you may just opt for tbn once to verify, but generally speaking that is a pretty safe interval with freeway mileage.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So yeah 56k miles would be a great time to do a uoa. The second and third uoa's of redline seam to be the best at revealing your wear patterns if you will do one with redline. Universally it seams the first redline run shows heavy numbers, there are some theories to why, leaching ion's or the fact redline has so many ep/aw that is knocks down some metal other oils don't, but if you see the uoa thread this trend doesn't continue, 2 and 3rd uoa's clean up nicely. At 7500 miles if you are staying with that as an interval, you may just opt for tbn once to verify, but generally speaking that is a pretty safe interval with freeway mileage.

Sorry for all the questions, but what does the text in red mean?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry for all the questions, but what does the text in red mean?

No worries brother, ask whatever questions you like, if fact I like when people do.

So TBN is total base number of a liquid, TAN is total acid number of a liquid, in our case oil. As you use oil, the TBN goes down, and the TAN goes up. So you decide what level is a good level to change your oil at, I prefer 3tbn, the labs say it is ok to go down to one tbn, I disagree. When you run out of tbn, acid eats your metal. TBN level is the best thing to use to set an interval, so at 7500 miles you send in your sample, and pay ten bucks for tbn, and blackstone will give you tbn level and they will suggest an interval for ya. cool?

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No worries brother, ask whatever questions you like, if fact I like when people do.

So TBN is total base number of a liquid, TAN is total acid number of a liquid, in our case oil. As you use oil, the TBN goes down, and the TAN goes up. So you decide what level is a good level to change your oil at, I prefer 3tbn, the labs say it is ok to go down to one tbn, I disagree. When you run out of tbn, acid eats your metal. TBN level is the best thing to use to set an interval, so at 7500 miles you send in your sample, and pay ten bucks for tbn, and blackstone will give you tbn level and they will suggest an interval for ya. cool?

Thanks for the information. So do you think I should wait until the third oil change with the Red Line to do the oil sample or would it be after the third run through?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok, most guys would say more uoa's the better, but I am budget oriented and I like to get value from my money. So saying all that, I'd skip this one since you committed to changing oils, brand doesn't matter, you are simply using a new oil. And we know the first run of redline would not be an accurate level to how your engine will be wearing. heres the thing, if redline didn't kill your tick because it's mani bolts are you still gonna run it? if so, I would do my first uoa on the second redline run. But, if you still have tick and decide on another brand, then once you settle on whatever brand you will settle with, do a uoa as soon as possible, perfect timing for a uoa with your truck. Only wait til second run if it's redline. Just my 2 pennies.

The one argument for doing a uoa is if you are worried this hemi tick is eating your cam, then maybe you should consider a uoa. Kinda weird situation because we don't know the source of your tick.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok, most guys would say more uoa's the better, but I am budget oriented and I like to get value from my money. So saying all that, I'd skip this one since you committed to changing oils, brand doesn't matter, you are simply using a new oil. And we know the first run of redline would not be an accurate level to how your engine will be wearing. heres the thing, if redline didn't kill your tick because it's mani bolts are you still gonna run it? if so, I would do my first uoa on the second redline run. But, if you still have tick and decide on another brand, then once you settle on whatever brand you will settle with, do a uoa as soon as possible, perfect timing for a uoa with your truck. Only wait til second run if it's redline. Just my 2 pennies.

I've been reading the threads about the Red Line and I like what I'm reading. I want to keep this truck for a while and I want to give it the best oil I can. It has had synthetic in it since its first oil change, but it has been PUP or Pennzoil Platinum (that's what Firestone used) and it was the factory recommended 5w-20.

I actually only heard that ticking once when I started it up after work one night. I haven't heard it since and I have actually been listening for it. At this point, I'm switching to Red Line as a preventative in my case.

I'll skip this oil change and do the sample on the next one. Is that when I should request the TBN?

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I finally got around to changing the oil today. I put the Red Line 5w-30 with a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter. I also checked my catch can and it was about half full. It had a lot of sludge on the bottom as well. I took it apart this time, but last time I just drained it with the valve on the bottom. This is what was left after pouring the oil out. I'm glad I put this on a while ago.

20200524_131511.jpg

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
@Devildog8791 not sure if you have read this or if it has been mentioned to you...do not panic if your truck gets a little noisy after switching to redline. Give it a good 1400 or so miles, then come back and let us know how your truck is doing. Sometimes they get a little noisy doing it's thing. Then it gets nice and quiet. When I switched my truck over from stock oil, 1400 was the number. It got quieter earlier, but around 1400 was the biggest change. I ran 7500 miles on that oil change with Blackstone saying I can go to 8500. I just sent in my last oil change. I'll see how this one compares. I'm running 5w30 RL and 20820 RP filter.