Diesel Additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Here is the other test that uses opti lube xdp. Compare this link with the hot shot LX4 link, both are phinominal, but not shot lx4 wins out with a lower wear scar rating of 270-280 Compared to xdp 315ish
If your comparing the two test's, make note the second one using OptiLube XPD is using a fuel that is actually drier with a higher initial wear scar of 636 vs the HotShot test of 590. Both should be the wear scar using the HFRR standard 60°C - ASTM D6079

Probably splitting hairs and can't go wrong with using either XPD or HotShot

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
If your comparing the two test's, make note the second one using OptiLube XPD is using a fuel that is actually drier with a higher initial wear scar of 636 vs the HotShot test of 590. Both should be the wear scar using the HFRR standard 60°C - ASTM D6079

Probably splitting hairs and can't go wrong with using either XPD or HotShot
I didn't catch that , ty, probably both are equal and the factors are being skewed hoping folks like you won't notice the difference in there base fuel to make it appear thers an edge over the other. Ahhhhhhh marketing

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I hadn't heard of Hot Shot, but certainly have OptiLube. Been using their stuff for years. Already posted documented combustion completeness improvement.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
FYI- There is a cp4 tread in the gen 5 heavy duty section discussing the issues with the cp4.

A partial excerpt from a class action lawsuit explaining the problem with the cp4 pump:"The primary reason the cp4 pump is said to fail is because the pump was not designed for diesel fuel in the USA.

Bosh is a euro co and uses euro diesel fuel with more sulfur than the us diesel fuel. The cleaner ultra-low sulfur diesel used in the us does not lubricate the cp4 as well as the euro diesel, makes it difficult on the cp4`s hydraulic pistons to continue working, according to experts at Diesel Army.

The cp4 is said to struggle to supply adequate fuel to the engine under lower pressure of these more efficient engines. The result is the formation of air bubbles inside the cp4 . Air in the pump means that metal rubs against metal, causing accelerated wear.

This will eventually cause the cp4 to fail, often around 100k mi. Before it fails, metal shavings are produced which travel into the fuel injectors and fuel lines with catastrophic results."

Unquote: Some owners have resorted to expensive "fixes" to counter the problem, such as, fuel additives, booster pumps and or re-routing lines w/filters back to the fuel tank, or replacing the pump with a cp3 model to name just a few!

So far, not much "long term data" on the success of diesel additives solving the cp4 issues, BUT, the tests that are available are promising!

IMO, If I had a cp4, after a lot of research, I would certainly use a top tier additive in hopes that it would save my cp4 pump!

In the end, there is lots of info out there, it`s up to individual to choose what`s best for them!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Huh. I understood ULSF in U.S. only caught up to the low sulfur fuel in Europe & Japan? I understood the main difference remaining was much higher cetane mandated in those fuels compared to U.S. (40 cetane national minimum, 50 in rest of world).

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Could be HEMIMANN.... I just passed on info from but one of the many sources out there!

Lots more info out there, just time consuming to sort through the bull and get to the "factual" stuff!

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Adding my experience to this post. It's also in a separate post.

2020 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD died while towing (fortunately, in town). CP4 fuel pump failure at 7,800 miles. Covered under warranty. Was at dealership for 4 weeks. I live in California. Almost all fuel purchased in California, 50% Chevron and 50% truck stop grade. The failure followed a 1,000 mile trip to Oregon and back, largely using truck stop fuel. I had never used an additive.

To summarize what I'm getting from this thread so far, cetane boosters are probably not needed in CA due to the higher cetane minimum but a fuel lubricator would be beneficial for the fuel pump (especially the CP4). SouthTexan (who seems reliable) however notes that additives can adversely affect the emissions systems at incorrect concentrations. Power Service products are endorsed by Cummins but mostly due to emissions results and not due to lubricity. Other additives are more lubricating but not endorsed.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Hot shot edt with lx4, 1-oz per 50gal.
hot shot lx4. 5-oz per 50 gal
knock on wood, I'm at 16,000 miles, fingers crossed