Diesel fuel jugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Since I now have a diesel I'm wondering if there would be any negative effect of using my red gas containers (3 of them) for diesel? They come in handy when we are hunting out in the boonies.
Can I just allow them to air dry or will they contaminate the diesel fuel?
I figured I would just use a stencil and yellow spray paint the word "diesel" on the side of the jugs.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Other than someone confusing them for containing gasoline, the container will not have any issues with diesel. You might have an issue filling them if there is an overzealous gas station attendant around.
If you let them dry completely, I doubt there would be any residual "gasoline" to contaminate the diesel.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What year truck do you have? Be careful if it's a new gen, not because of contamination but because they have a "trap door" design fuel filler and if you try to pour it in from a container you will end up with the fuel all over the ground.

Other then that as long as the containers are clean and dry you should be okay. Biggest risk is someone confusing them. They are cheap enough in my book to not take the risk. Just buy some yellow diesel containers.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
There is absolutely no difference between the red or yellow containers other than the color. Paint a big yellow "D" on both sides and get a funnel that slips into your filler. I had a dozen or so red containers and it wasn't worth replacing them.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks guys, my containers are just old enough that they don't have those idiotic "safety" ******** spouts.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I started using the EX-pour replacement spots when I had the Jeep and could not use the jerry can's spout. I havent modded the cans yet with the vent cap. Something that I didn't get to last spring/summer. With a long funner works great. I get them at the local tractor/feed store.

https://ezpourspout.com/product/hi-flo-replacement-spout-vent-kit/