Diesel-hybrid Ram in the near future?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlyDLG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 class EcoDiesel
Anyone know if Ram might be introducing a diesel hybrid, esp. in the 1500, in the "near future." (Yes, I know both command independent price premiums that conventional wisdom says makes combining them in one vehicle an economic non-starter; but as fuel prices climb back up, and more of the market cares about climate change, perhaps Ram is beginning to see things a little more progressively?)

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have wanted a diesel/electric hybrid for quite some time.
I would like to see one with just 50 mile or so straight electric range, then sufficient diesel power generation to recharge and maintain the batteries for as long as you wish to drive. The diesel could also be your primary heat and AC power source, automatically throttle down when the batteries are fully charged and just providing heating or cooling and lighting. Then ramping up to provide power for accelerating and hills.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I’m not the only one. If it wasn’t for a lot of peoples hate for diesel I think it would have happened already. A lot of people think diesel is the worst thing possible when in fact diesel is actually cleaner and more efficient than gas. A diesel generator would be extremely efficient at powering an electric engine in small cars. As a matter of fact that’s how a lot of diesel trains are.

OP
OP
O

OlyDLG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 class EcoDiesel
Glad I’m not the only one. If it wasn’t for a lot of peoples hate for diesel I think it would have happened already. A lot of people think diesel is the worst thing possible when in fact diesel is actually cleaner and more efficient than gas. A diesel generator would be extremely efficient at powering an electric engine in small cars. As a matter of fact that’s how a lot of diesel trains are.

Nope, not the only one.

The other semi-obvious practical objection is: where would one put the batteries, which makes me wonder how thick it a "plate" of cells, along w/ adequate armor, would have to be to put it under the bed.

Anyway, for a long time a diesel 1500 seemed like an impossible dream, and then it happened, so there's cause for hope.

OP
OP
O

OlyDLG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 class EcoDiesel
BTW: apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but what is Ram's current stated policy re: using high-mix biodiesel?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great idea, but I doubt the new RAM (Stellantis) gonna go that way with the push on EV, but who knows. SO many tree huggers out there complaining ref diesel, the un-edumacated. I had a 15 ED, 2nd Gen, which I moved up to Hemi due to all the friggin DEF, and EGR issues. But who knows.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hybrids make a lot of sense, But lighter batteries are needed for towing because of the obvious.
But, thinking ahead it needs to be a multi fuel engine, enter the turbine---

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW: apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but what is Ram's current stated policy re: using high-mix biodiesel?
Not sure how many people are actually aware of this. I may try to find a used wrangler eco diesel when it’s time for my next vehicle if they still exist and aren’t worth more than they were new.

69173B29-1099-4D59-A677-2DB343F0F272.png

OP
OP
O

OlyDLG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 class EcoDiesel
Thanks! I was hoping for better, i.e., higher, but oh well.