Diff fluids update page 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After much research before my first oil change I came to the conclusion to use redline in my 17 PowerWagon. Wonderful advice from the forum.

Now I am looking into doing the diffs and I am having a difficult time finding the capacities for the front and rear. Also what weight is common to run here ? I most likely will go with redline again. Also what size gasket fits the diff as well?

OP
OP
Mule19

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sweet, I have been looking for this info, how much in the front and how much in the rear to equal 7? If I may ask.

From what I have discovered 3 quarts front, 4 quarts rear. Front is 9.25 aam and rear is 11.25 aam, that should help with hunting down gaskets on the amazon.

mdowning

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman Powerwagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The factory installed gaskets are reusable. I didn't change mine this time, but may get new for the next change. And yes, about 3 in the front diff, and 4 in the rear.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The factory installed gaskets are reusable. I didn't change mine this time, but may get new for the next change. And yes, about 3 in the front diff, and 4 in the rear.

From what I have discovered 3 quarts front, 4 quarts rear. Front is 9.25 aam and rear is 11.25 aam, that should help with hunting down gaskets on the amazon.

Thank you both, just ordered mine off of redline website.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I used Amsoil 75w 90 severe gear. When I did mine My rear took a little less than 3.5 quarts. I filled till I got to the fill line on the cover which is roughly 3/4"- 5/8" below the drain hole. My front took about 2.5 quarts.

Gaskets are reusable

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I used Amsoil 75w 90 severe gear. When I did mine My rear took a little less than 3.5 quarts. I filled till I got to the fill line on the cover which is roughly 3/4"- 5/8" below the drain hole. My front took about 2.5 quarts.

Gaskets are reusable

How do you know when you hit the fill line

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
How do you know when you hit the fill line
I made a little "dipstick". Just took a piece of wire and bent a 90° angle and cut it so it was approx 5/8" long and used that.

If you go to 16:43 of this video I used his dipstick idea

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
After much research before my first oil change I came to the conclusion to use redline in my 17 PowerWagon. Wonderful advice from the forum.

Now I am looking into doing the diffs and I am having a difficult time finding the capacities for the front and rear. Also what weight is common to run here ? I most likely will go with redline again. Also what size gasket fits the diff as well?
How many miles are on the truck? Are the miles city or highway? So you tow a large trailer?

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do what Maligator said and only fill to the line on the rear diff cover. If it runs out the hole on the rear your overfilled and may end up with your axle seals leaking. Front axle is filled until it runs out the fill hole.

OP
OP
Mule19

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are on the truck? Are the miles city or highway? So you tow a large trailer?

Well I bought the truck used pretty sure most of the miles are highway, now it will be used for my daily 30 mile round trip to work, and any other adventures I get into with the wife. Rarely ever towing.

OP
OP
Mule19

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I did the diffs with amsoil 75w 90, might have overfilled the rear a tad bit, and then the front was slightly contaminated with water. Next goal is to hunt down zip ties and some 3/8 hose to relocate the breathers.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I did the diffs with amsoil 75w 90, might have overfilled the rear a tad bit, and then the front was slightly contaminated with water. Next goal is to hunt down zip ties and some 3/8 hose to relocate the breathers.

Hey Mule19,

Thanks for the post, got the needed info!
Just did my rear diff with amzoil too.
Did you add friction modifier?

Cheers

Dirty
IMG_20200728_145844.jpg

Clean
IMG_20200728_151734.jpg

Bahn112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L

So 6 quarts was enough to do the front and rear.
I'm planning on doing mine pretty soon. Just gotta figure out what diff protection so I can do it all at one time.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do what Maligator said and only fill to the line on the rear diff cover. If it runs out the hole on the rear your overfilled and may end up with your axle seals leaking. Front axle is filled until it runs out the fill hole.
Now the real question is why couldn't they just be the same, line or spill...

OP
OP
Mule19

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So 6 quarts was enough to do the front and rear.
I'm planning on doing mine pretty soon. Just gotta figure out what diff protection so I can do it all at one time.

I would recommend having 7 on hand, in case of accidents or mishaps.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah man just good ole amsoil is all we need in a PW.
Yeah anti spin has an additive. If you ever have tire spin, add it. Cause the antispasmodic gear set is like 600 alone, clutches labor, terror when that first spider gear slips or breaks. Its a few dollars to keep your pants from becoming discolored.
IMHO amsoil is off my list forever. 50 miles of it and I was changing the oil again. All faith is gone.