Difference Between LOC & DSP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wubbachicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I've been doing a lot of research and reading on the forum about installing aftermarket audio system. I am still unclear on one thing. Why do some use a DSP like RF or the Axxess and others use an LOC like the AC LC7Ci? Does one have an advantage over the other? The only thing I've read is BT volume cannot be controlled with a DSP, but a DSP will allow you to adjust chime volumes etc. I stream music from my phone so would an LOC be better for me? Thoughts? Thank you in advance for your inputs

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Whitd5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dsp has all kinds of features. Just read the description. LOC just gives you an audio signal to feed the amps. It doesn’t really “process” anything like the dsp. Now some do have additional features but nothing like the flexibility a dsp will give you. Of course you pay for it like anything else.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A LOC (Line Output Converter) just takes the high level signal that normally goes to the factory speakers and converts it to a low level signal. Usually with RCA output jacks. From there you can send the signal to a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) or directly to an amp.

Some factory systems split the signals to the high frequency and low frequency speakers. In that case you would need a LOC with the ability to take those separate signals and combine them into a single full-range signal. This is called Summing.

Some amps can take the high level signal directly, eliminating the need for a LOC. The majority of DSPs do not accept high level inputs so you would definitely need a LOC in front of one.

Now, there are amps that combine all of these functions within a single box (JL and Helix make great ones). Personally, I like to use separate items so that I can swap out individual pieces if something goes bad.

OP
OP
W

wubbachicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Ok. I think I got it. I was confused because I have read a lot of different intakes and some use an LOC and some used a DSP, but I haven't noticed one to use both

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whenever you read about someone using the PAC AmpPRO, that’s acting as a LOC. I use that to feed my Mosconi DSP which feeds everything else.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I would like to add to Tom's posts that audison bit ten and bit one can take high level inputs, sum channels and output more channels than given. The bit ten d unfortunately puts out 3.8v before clipping. The bit one hd claims 5v i believe. Helix gets up towards 8v. The bit ten used for $200 is hard to beat at that price. Adjustable eq on all channels, time alignment, levels on each channel, fairly elaborate crossover adjustments. Downside is the volt out and only 5 channel out.

OP
OP
W

wubbachicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I appreciate all the help. It's a bit much to wrap the head around at first. I've been putting together a system in my head and I was stuck at the LOC and DSP because I couldn't get a clear picture of what each was.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
LOC basically lets you take output from speaker wires and covert to RCA - mostly used when adding amps to OEM Head Units like ours which do not have RCA outputs. There may also be some additional features on some units like bass boost or subwoofer control or minor EQ options. There are also options to take signal from OEM amped systems like the RAM Alpine setup where you have to pull the signal back from the oem AMP to get the full range/signal.

DSP is a Signal Processor, that typically be default also includes LOC functions as well as the signal processing, high/low pass, equalization, chime control, delay, tuning, input/output flexibility, etc. They also usually have custom harnesses available for most popular vehicles which make installing simpler as your not hacking up your oem harness.

PAC is the LOC you need if you have an RAM OEM Alpine Powered setup. If you just have the basic non-amped setup then any of the LOC's or similar would work to add a Sub or amps, etc - however an active/powered LOC is better than a passive, always.

DSP is a step up in control and flexibility - two most popular are the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 and Axxess AX-DSP, which basically do the same functions with a few minor differences. Comes down to personal preference, but in general the simplest comparions is that the DSR1 is geared more toward the professional/competition user while the AX-DSP is geared more for the enthusiast/audio shop installer usage.

I chose the AX-DSP, but you can't go wrong with either if you need a DSP. There are a few members here who have the DSR1 as well you prob find some reviews/info on those.

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a number of higher end DSPs as well. Helix and Mosconi are tried and true. There is a new one from Zapco that is getting rave reviews. Brax has one but it costs a ton. The Audison DSPs have a reputation for being finicky. I had a Bit One and it definitely qualified as finicky.

On the other end there is Mini DSP and the Dayton DSP. Both are good, basic units.

Audiofrog has been working on one for a couple years now. It should be great when it’s finally done.