Difference in shocks/springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClassicJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am assuming there is, but what is the difference in the shocks/springs between, say a 2wd 1500, 4wd 1500 and even a Rebel?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2wd and 4wd 1500's have very different front shocks/struts from each other. They are not interchangeable.

Among 4wd 1500's there are two different factory ride heights (not counting air suspension) and the struts can technically be interchanged but that will also interchange the ride height.

There are several different springs for front and rear based on engine (the ecodiesel is around 250 lbs heavier than the hemi) and cab/bed configuration. 2wd and 4wd front springs don't install in the same location and cannot be exchanged.

OP
OP
ClassicJoe

ClassicJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there such thing as "regular" and "off-road" shocks?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there such thing as "regular" and "off-road" shocks?

From the factory? Not really, there was the "raised ride height" option code which was on models originally outfitted with 20" wheels and on Outdoorsman models and those have very slightly different ride height (0.7" lift roughly in front) but the actual shock absorber option codes are only these:
SFBFRONT HEAVY DUTY SHOCK ABSORBERS
SGBREAR HEAVY DUTY SHOCK ABSORBERS
SGDREAR EXTRA HD SHOCK ABSORBERS

There isn't even a "not" Heavy Duty shock absorber option code so I guess they're all heavy duty. No factory, off-road specific shocks.

In the aftermarket yes there are different types of shocks tuned toward highway performance, toward comfort (or an OE-like ride) and toward off-road performance & durability.

OP
OP
ClassicJoe

ClassicJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my 4wd 2019 1500 Big Horn Classic is just as capable "off-road" as a Rebel?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my 4wd 2019 1500 Big Horn Classic is just as capable "off-road" as a Rebel?
Technically? Yes and no. The rebel with air ride can be raised another 2” over stock. But that’s the only difference. Otherwise the drivetrain is the same.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Keep in mind, most of the Baja trucks are 2wd so depending on how much money you put into your truck you can make it as capable if not more capable than a 4x4, there is a reason why so many of the BAJA vehicles are 2wd ...

OP
OP
ClassicJoe

ClassicJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Technically? Yes and no. The rebel with air ride can be raised another 2” over stock. But that’s the only difference. Otherwise the drivetrain is the same.
So, my 2" leveled Big Horn is just as capable "off-road" as my buddy's Rebel?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Haeeeall yeah !!!!

Add the right upgrades and yes .... how much are you willing to spend ? .... Dirt King has 2 long travel kits that I would put on my 18' Big Horn if I had the money lol ...

I would put this one here, just under $6k but I have seen some Rams with it and they tear it up ! you can fit up to 37"s with this kit and it has everything for up front ....

UnionFitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not if you have the transfer case with the “auto” option. The BW 44-45 (no auto 4x4) is a much better off road transfer case as it actually physically locks in 4x4. The BW 44-44 (with the “auto” feature) is a clutch driven transfer case which cuts power to the front wheels any time the front wheels are turned -unless you fully disengage the traction control, and even then you still don’t get full power. Also, unless you have the posi rear end you will be struggling to gain traction even with your 4x4 activated with the 44-44. All this depends on how hard you are really pushing it though.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Short answer is mostly, yes unless your Big Horn is 2wd and your buddy's rebel is 4wd

There are trim options like steel skid plates, anti spin rear axle and 2 different transfer cases that will affect which one might have an advantage in the toughest terrain but those could be equipped to either model & 99% of the places a full-size pickup has any business they're closely matched.

OP
OP
ClassicJoe

ClassicJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, basically, just for driving around the farm (no mud bogging or rock climbing) my 4wd Big Horn (leveled with Cooper Rugged Treks) can go anywhere/do anything a Rebel could do?

The reason I ask is because I was contemplating replacing the shocks, as I was under the impression that the Rebel and the TRX had upgraded shocks.

I am not looking to build an off-road specific vehicle, but I want to make sure that my truck can handle what I may need to do with it...

I guess I have always seen the Big Horn/Laramie/etc... as more of a "comfort" or a daily driver type of a truck, and the Rebel type of trucks as more off-road "capable", if that makes sense.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a 17 express. My truck is 2.5 over stock front and 1” over stock rear on 35s with rear LSD. I’ve taken it through some places that people have looked at and freaked out. Swampy areas with gnarly tree roots and areas that are all soft sugar sand and my truck has done both with no issues. Actually had the truck up to the headlights under water at one point and I think one headlight dipped under water. The big horn with air ride is literally the same suspension as a rebel with air ride. No difference whatsoever in shocks. The trx has off-road shocks (I’m pretty sure it has electronic adjustable shocks) and softer springs for high speed off-roading. The rebel is basically just a fully loaded truck with air ride and they stick off-road tires on it to call it an off-road capable vehicle.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the idea of a lifter 2WD, As long as they're not over done. A big plus is they're cheap to Re-gear!

Crazy, you must know how to drive. I like what you've done to your truck. As far as what you do WITH your truck, lol.....uh..... I wouldn't want to buy it used.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the idea of a lifter 2WD, As long as they're not over done. A big plus is they're cheap to Re-gear!

Crazy, you must know how to drive. I like what you've done to your truck. As far as what you do WITH your truck, lol.....uh..... I wouldn't want to buy it used.
Lol. Most of the driving was in 2wd as well honestly. A lot of it is tires and picking a good line to drive. Also, That’s why I would never buy a lifted truck or lower truck used. You never know how they’ve been treated. I go through and clean everything after off-roading with a pressure sprayer to clean the mud and grime off and clean my engine and radiator off with light water spray. I need to Rewire my e fan controller and move it into the cab so I don’t have to worry about splashing it with water. My first car was a used 2009 VW Jetta 2.5 manual and after maybe 10,000 miles the clutch pressure plate warped and found sheered off bolts holding the clutch together… car was a dealer loaner/rental car before I bought it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

Which is why I went with the 2wd ... regearing was cheaper lol ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye