Different kind of battery issue....I think...plus some Air Suspension fun thrown in.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
Hey all, new to the forum and stuck on an issue. I'v read lots of threads but can't seem to find an answer on this one. A long story, but here goes. I've got a 2015 Eco-Diesel with 130k on it. I've owned the truck since it was new. Over the last 8 year sI've intermittingly gotten the "Service Air Suspension Immediately" warning but it would go away prettyy quick. When I went to the dealer for recalls or such they would tell me they didn;t see any active codes and the test worked out fine...and the truck raised and lowered like it should. I just got back into town froma trip and the truck had been sitting for a week and I got into it and immediately got the error upon starting and it wasn't going away. The truck says its at "normal" ride eight but it almost feels like the springs are super full and the right side has a slight lean. Scanner gives me a C159F-13 Air Suspension Reverse Valve 1 Control: Circuit Open. I can't find a wiring diagram to figure out where that valve is but onto my battery issue....

The 8 year old battery was at 12.2v every morning and so I deceided I would go and get a new battery soon. I left my scanner tool plugged in and on (not intentionally) and the next day the truck was dead as a door nail. I thought ok, new battery time. I picked up an Interstate at Costco H8 900CCA and brought it home and put it on an AGM charger for the night. Put it into the truck the next morning and nothing, Not even dash lights. Just a faint glow from the light under the hood. Voltmeter says 13.45v on the battery with no cables attached. Attach the positive cable and terminal to terminal it still reads 13.45. Attach the ground and termianl to termail it reads 3.1v. I can jump the truck with my NOCO G70 lithium charger but I'm at a loss because the battery will not start it and I can't move onto the air suspension issue without the battery working.

Any ideas? Thansk a ton in advance!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey all, new to the forum and stuck on an issue. I'v read lots of threads but can't seem to find an answer on this one. A long story, but here goes. I've got a 2015 Eco-Diesel with 130k on it. I've owned the truck since it was new. Over the last 8 year sI've intermittingly gotten the "Service Air Suspension Immediately" warning but it would go away prettyy quick. When I went to the dealer for recalls or such they would tell me they didn;t see any active codes and the test worked out fine...and the truck raised and lowered like it should. I just got back into town froma trip and the truck had been sitting for a week and I got into it and immediately got the error upon starting and it wasn't going away. The truck says its at "normal" ride eight but it almost feels like the springs are super full and the right side has a slight lean. Scanner gives me a C159F-13 Air Suspension Reverse Valve 1 Control: Circuit Open. I can't find a wiring diagram to figure out where that valve is but onto my battery issue....

The 8 year old battery was at 12.2v every morning and so I deceided I would go and get a new battery soon. I left my scanner tool plugged in and on (not intentionally) and the next day the truck was dead as a door nail. I thought ok, new battery time. I picked up an Interstate at Costco H8 900CCA and brought it home and put it on an AGM charger for the night. Put it into the truck the next morning and nothing, Not even dash lights. Just a faint glow from the light under the hood. Voltmeter says 13.45v on the battery with no cables attached. Attach the positive cable and terminal to terminal it still reads 13.45. Attach the ground and termianl to termail it reads 3.1v. I can jump the truck with my NOCO G70 lithium charger but I'm at a loss because the battery will not start it and I can't move onto the air suspension issue without the battery working.

Any ideas? Thansk a ton in advance!
Get yourself one of these old school "toaster" style battery testors,and check the battery.Just because it's new,doesn't mean it's good these days.

OP
OP
W

Winfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
I'm headed to HF in the morning to grab one of thise circuit open finder thingys and will grab one of these too! Thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check the Z-Case fuses on the positive battery terminal, see green arrows in picture
Screenshot_20230411_201847.jpg
One is 100A, another is 125A and the third is 225A, some have reported the 100A is also 125A. The smaller fuses feed the cooling fan and power steering, the 225A is for most of the vehicle and alternator.

OP
OP
W

Winfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
Possible but I think my smart charger would have told me I was hooked up backwards if it was. At least I think so. In teh ram the cables are only long enough to reach their intended post when the battery is installed in the correct orientation. But the positive cable has three 250amp fuses on it (one for power steering...I know for sure) but teh pther two I'm not completly sure of and when I blew the pwer steering one I didn't get an error code just lost my power steering. I'll pull off the other two and continuity test them if the load tester shows the battery good. I'm fairly confident the charging system is functioning. When I junoed the truck and drove it around for a few minutes the dash disply was showing the voltage changing with speed.

OP
OP
W

Winfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
Thanks crash68! I'll check for sure. I had just repled about having a past issue with one of them.

OP
OP
W

Winfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
Also, found a wiring diagram for my ASCM to compressor error on the site. I know right where that bugger is now. Love this site!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm headed to HF in the morning to grab one of thise circuit open finder thingys and will grab one of these too! Thanks.
Avoid the newer digital testors,get the old school toaster style testor

OP
OP
W

Winfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
Absolutely a bad battery. 20 dollar load tester proved it. Already swapped and now onto the air suspension. Buy the way Costco cannot load tezt teh battery but I brought mine along and tested the new one they swapped for. It was 4 months old and tested like a champ. Thanks for all the help!