Differential Breather Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hey folks -

Don’t have a chance to get under the truck and look right now and getting down to the wire on time, but does anyone know how high the front and rear differential breather tubes go into the body? I have a 2015 1500 crew cab 4x4.

I’m heading out this weekend and will be doing a river crossing and several creek crossings through our trip. Curious if I should hook up an ARB differential breather relocation kit on it or if it should be good to go. Water could be as high as doors but likely a few inches below. Don’t have a snorkel yet either so won’t tempt anything higher!

Appreciate the insight!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I know the rear axle breather is a couple inches below the body. The transfer case one might be lower.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
On my old '78 Bronco and on my swamp buggy I ran an extra steel fuel line down the frame next to the original fuel line... Then used rubber fuel hose on each end to route the axle, transfer case, and transmission vents up into the air cleaner. Front axle takes a more direct route... Not enough vacuum to suck water into the axles (I never found any) but keeps the end of the vent line in clean air. And if you are sucking water into your air cleaner, you have bigger problems than your axles!

On my '12 RAM, I just replaced the rear axle vent hose with longer hose and put the little vent line do-hickey up as far as I could behind the brake lights. Front axle same thing except up on the firewall. Transfer case vent is next on the to-do list, will probably put it up high on the firewall next to the front axle vent.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
Thanks boss. I'll be installing the breather kit :)

Hey Exdeus, I know it's been three years, but how did that vent relocation go? I'm looking to do one to my truck eventually, for both axles as well as for the transfer case. Do you have any advice from what you learned?

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hey Exdeus, I know it's been three years, but how did that vent relocation go? I'm looking to do one to my truck eventually, for both axles as well as for the transfer case. Do you have any advice from what you learned?

Hey boss. Never ended up doing it. Have never hit deep enough water with it. Traded in the 1500 and run a 2500 now and haven't done it on that yet either.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rear axle is not in a bad spot. It sits just under the bed. I extended mine up to the fuel fill door. Transfer case only goes up 2” from the tcase. I ram my tcase breather up to the top of the firewall following the factory transmission breather line. The front diff only goes up 2” as well. I extended mine up to above the driver side headlight using the radiator support as my attachment point. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
From my cursory look, the breathers look to have one way valves on them allowing pressure out but nothing in.

I too plan to extend and relocate the valves higher.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
From my cursory look, the breathers look to have one way valves on them allowing pressure out but nothing in.

I too plan to extend and relocate the valves higher.

They allow air back in to. You can't have a 1 way check valve on anything that gets hot,and then cools off,seals wouldn't last. I think it's just a cap on the end of the breather hoses,not a check valve

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't needed to worry about deep water crossings so far and I drive around mud whenever possible, but has anyone looked into adding these? Seems like a clean and clever solution that should fit anything that uses a hose breather to handle heat expansion

41DDRQIKvHL._AC_.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I haven't needed to worry about deep water crossings so far and I drive around mud whenever possible, but has anyone looked into adding these? Seems like a clean and clever solution that should fit anything that uses a hose breather to handle heat expansion

View attachment 234202

If you read the reviews on it,it looks like it might not be as good as it looks on paper

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The old school way i've done diff breathers is just use fuel line hose to extend the hose up farther ,a small worm gear clamp to lock it onto the breather tube,and stick a cheap steal or plastic 5/16" fuel filter on the end of the hose.The filter allows the diff or t-case to breath but keeps dirt /dust etc. from being sucked into the diff,plus it'll keep alot of the water out of the diff on a short water crossing,it won't keep all the water out if you bury it though,lol.
Similiar to this idea on my stand alone fuel cells roll over vent.

IMG_3946.JPG

Last edited:

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
The old school way i've done diff breathers is just use fuel line hose to extend the hose up farther ,a small worm gear clamp to lock it onto the breather tube,and stick a cheap steal or plastic 5/16" fuel filter on the end of the hose.The filter allows the diff or t-case to breath but keeps dirt /dust etc. from being sucked into the diff,plus it'll keep alot of the water out of the diff on a short water crossing,it won't keep all the water out if you bury it though,lol.
Similiar to this idea on my stand alone fuel cells roll over vent.

That is what I've seen others do, and what I'll probably do myself. Cheap and simple, except for the freaking fuel cell, which powered the Space Shuttle! :shocked: That's a heck of a power source you've got there!

That is a nifty looking device, but I agree with Wild One, it probably doesn't seal or breathe as good as a simple hose up to a dry place.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That is what I've seen others do, and what I'll probably do myself. Cheap and simple, except for the freaking fuel cell, which powered the Space Shuttle! :shocked: That's a heck of a power source you've got there!

That is a nifty looking device, but I agree with Wild One, it probably doesn't seal or breathe as good as a simple hose up to a dry place.

The trucks more toy then truck,the battery is also back there to,lol.Fuel cells up in the front corner ,battery sits in the back corner,lol

IMG_3950.JPG

Truck is NHRA legal with a master disconnect switch in the bumper,and driveshaft loop

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I would sat this truck has made it to the drags........LoL