Differential fluids?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Guys

I have a 2015 RAM 1500 big horn with the 5.7L engine. I want to change the differential fluid. I searched for other posts and I’m still not sure what is the correct fluid for my truck should be? I’m looking at the owners manual and they do have a section for the limited slip differential. Did they make them all with the same limited slip differential? I ran the Vin number and it has a 3.21 rear axle ratio.

But there is no mention of the correct fluid in the index. Are there any definite answers on this for the correct fluid? Do I have to add an additive? I’ve watched videos and it looks like an easy maintenance item.

Thanks for any clarification or helpful advice on this.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The rear axle uses a 75W140 gear lube and you only need the friction modifier if your truck has a limited slip (not all trucks have that option). A lot of the full synthetic gear lubes already have the friction modifier in them, no extra is needed and you can use it even if you don't have a LSD. I used the Red Line 75W140 in my '15 (has LSD), many on this forum have used the same. https://www.redlineoil.com/75w140-gl-5-gear-oil

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks! I will order that . How about the front differential or transfer case Fluids?

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Front diff most likely calls for 75w85. For the TC, it depends on what model you have. If you get under your truck and look at it, there should be a sticker on it that tells you what model of the Borg-Warner transfer case you have. Does your truck have 4x4 auto?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thanks! I will order that . How about the front differential or transfer case Fluids?
If you use you truck mostly as a daily driver and what you haul or haul is light you can probably get away with using 75W-90 gear lube front and rear.
Goto the Amsoil website, you can search your truck model and it will list all of their recommended fluids which are also very popular amongst the forum members.
If you get under your truck and look at it, there should be a sticker on it that tells you what model of the Borg-Warner transfer case you have.
Don't even have to crawl under the truck, if there is an Auto 4X4 button then it's the BW44-44 transfer case. He also stated a '15 1500 BigHorn which I know has the BW44-44.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Front diff most likely calls for 75w85. For the TC, it depends on what model you have. If you get under your truck and look at it, there should be a sticker on it that tells you what model of the Borg-Warner transfer case you have. Does your truck have 4x4 auto?
Yes. It has 4x4 auto. I didn’t get under the truck yet to look. If need be I’ll do it tomorrow. I missed one of the other posts above. Yes ‘15 bighorn. Do you guys normally use Amsoil in both differentials and transfer case?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only use Redline for both differentials.
TC is mostly the expensive Mopar Unicorn tears oil for your transfer case.

I have had Redline survive where Amsoil didn't - in Marine stuff though, not on a Ram.

Many use the 75-90 for the front differential, but I use the lighter Redline weight oil. The 75-90 will work fine and might work better if using 4WD a good bit - which I do not.

One nice thing, it is easier to change the rear gear oil than the engine oil if just doing a drain and fill - which I do every 2 years or less.

I use the 75-110 Redline in my 2016 1500 truck.

Last edited:

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
Guys

I have a 2015 RAM 1500 big horn with the 5.7L engine. I want to change the differential fluid. I searched for other posts and I’m still not sure what is the correct fluid for my truck should be? I’m looking at the owners manual and they do have a section for the limited slip differential. Did they make them all with the same limited slip differential? I ran the Vin number and it has a 3.21 rear axle ratio.

But there is no mention of the correct fluid in the index. Are there any definite answers on this for the correct fluid? Do I have to add an additive? I’ve watched videos and it looks like an easy maintenance item.

Thanks for any clarification or helpful advice on this.
Where did you "run the VIN#?"

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Make sure not to order the redline with the NS in the title, you only add additive if you get shudder and then small amount til it goes away, you wont need it with this oil though. 85 or 90 weight in the front diff, 75w90. Transfer case is the b44-44, but he have guys that opt for redline c+ in those because prior to other years the oem called for it. PM Hemi395 if you have a question about t case fluid, he has used the top ones, no need to get oem on that it costs bookoo money.

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks, works great. Bookmarked it!

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did some searching online for the Mopar transfer case fluid for my vehicle. A couple of the websites already have my Vin number saved. But apparently when I search for this Mopar fluid they say it doesn’t fit my vehicle

I just contacted a local Dodge dealer and he wanted the last eight numbers of my VIN. That is FS781805. He confirmed that I have the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case. Can anyone tell me what the correct Mopar transfer case fluid part number is for this?

I did send hemi 395 a private message. But I’m trying to cover all bases.

Thanks!

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Why is it that whenever I try to search for this part I get messages like this? This one just happened to be Amazon. But I had the same thing happened from a couple of online Mopar parts sources

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is why we call it unicorn fluid, hard to find like unicorns. Read the label, it says pre 2016 44 on it?