Differential problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First gear?

He said for Chrysler rear ends they take the carrierout and use a vice. They are the devil.. his words

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
First gear?

He said for Chrysler rear ends they take the carrierout and use a vice. They are the devil.. his words

Yeah, the first one the pin slides through.

Oh’ ****, your kidding me! Really huh! Mine is probably so warn that it just slid in, well I just had to tap up the gear a little. but dam man that sux ass, How are you thinking about doing it?

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I just got it!! Since he said pressure, I took the handle end of a ball joint separator between the axles and pushed on the forked end against my shoulder using the frame as leverage and it moved so I rolled the spider gears in without the thrush washers first. Then I used the ball joint separator and shoulder method to apply outward pressure on the axles and it created a gap between the carrier and the spider gears enough for an oil coated thrush washer to slide right in! Did both and now the carrier pin slides in with no problem. So obviously the thrush washers installed put enough pressure on the side gears for the carrier pin to go in. Interesting. I love learning new things.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Nice dude, saved yourself from having to take the whole thing apart. :peace:

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly what I was thinking. Appreciate you sticking around and helping man. Thank you

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
I was just looking at the photos and it looks like you missing the steel clips that go on the ears of the clutch packs. The clips are there to keep the clutches from eating in to the differential housing. With out the clips the disc ears will continue to eat into the housing and possibly break off and cause severe damage to the ring gear and pinion. See photos

diff clutch.JPG

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I was just looking at the photos and it looks like you missing the steel clips that go on the ears of the clutch packs. The clips are there to keep the clutches from eating in to the differential housing. With out the clips the disc ears will continue to eat into the housing and possibly break off and cause severe damage to the ring gear and pinion. See photos

View attachment 134020
Saw that when I did the wheel bearings, they must have broke off before i bought it cause i didnt pull any metal pieces when I had it open. that n many other reasons is why it’s for sale, I’m done with this truck! 4.7 can kiss my ass!

Last edited: