Differential swap from open to LSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find an off road shop, someone with experience will give you the best results. This probably should not be a learning experience, your rear could lock up if not installed and adjusted correctly,not saying you can’t do it ,my first time would be with someone who’s been there done that.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I get real nervous about having someone work on my dad's truck...I may just learn how to do this myself.

On the shims that go under the bearing, I don't see anyone calculating how many or what size to use...is that normal? Do you just put them all under there and roll with it?
No shims on diff carriers that use adjustment collars. Adjust collars for zero lash and preload, tighten collar that is opposite from the ring gear 4 to 6 flats. Check back lash. If back lash matches what you measured before disassemble you're good.

Slightly different on zf from corporate and aam but here is good video.
Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In the video, the guy measured the original backlash & it was 9
When everything was back in it was at 8 1/2

When you back off the collars, back them off just a tad bit, do one then the other
As soon as anything can be wiggled, Stop

This was more of a drag car than a driver
I also think that he only pulled the ring & pinion to closely examine the teeth & pattern where the Ring gear & pinion gear mesh & to check & replace the Pinion seal
Which could have been done by cleaning the teeth with rags & then using chalk to determine the pattern

OP
OP
P

patriot07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotcha - thanks guys.

I called the local ram dealer and they said there is no mopar LSD available for 2019+...that can't be true...I know they deliver new trucks with it. I think they just got confused?

Leaning towards true trac now

homegaragebuild

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Hey guys I have installed the Eaton Detroit Truetrac on my Ram recently and am loving it. I have some pictures of the new unit and the old unit posted on my Instagram: homegaragebuild. I would definitely recommend you take it to an axle shop to do this work as they will have years of experience setting backlash and shimming a diff. The "anti-spin" differential (as it states on the window sticker) does use clutch packs like a POSI unit however, as stated earlier in the thread, it does not have a preload spring pack in it. The Truetrac is going to give the most consistent highest levels of grip of any LSD (limited slip differential). I am going to do an unboxing YouTube video soon so you can search that shortly. The unit is around $610 online and labor will run around $320 to get it installed.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called the local ram dealer and they said there is no mopar LSD available for 2019+..

1st mistake was calling a Stealer****,
2nd mistake is wanting a MOPAR LSD... lol...

Detroit TrueTrac is where its at.

Ckyuv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bringing up an old thread here as a long time lurker who just steals yalls ideas. Im a little less clear on making sure I order the right part. Is this the one yall are suggesting? Seems like Jegs may have the best price if that is the right one. Wana make sure before I order. Thanks!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup that the one for our ZF axles