Digital Rear View and Glasses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

helmdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So I tried the digital rear view on my new ram 5500, because now that I have a bed the headboard is partially blocking the view. Problem is I wear progressive bifocals and the image isn't clear to me unless I tilt my head way back. Not very comfortable or probably safe.

I usually get my glasses online and they don't offer an upper magnification segment. I understand there are "occupational" safety glasses with this feature, Double-D as they are called. There doesn't seam to be many options.

Anyone have any suggestions?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the same problem with my 2021 1500. I just don't use the digital mirror. But I don't have anything blocking my view out the rear window. I'm not sure of the best solution, but I'm interested in seeing what ideas people might come up with for this.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I don’t use mine either again because of glasses and focus but also, the glare of sunroof cover is open makes it completely useless! Oh well. Like the assisted park, NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. I will never trust that to park me. Been parallel parking since I was 16!

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t use mine either again because of glasses and focus but also, the glare of sunroof cover is open makes it completely useless! Oh well. Like the assisted park, NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. I will never trust that to park me. Been parallel parking since I was 16!
I pretty much use mine all the time. I have gotten used to the glasses thing - guess my eyes aren't quite that bad yet. As for the glare - try tilting the mirror upward a little toward the roof. That removed all the glare from the sunroof for me.

I find it really useful when I have my BakFlip up and covering the back window or if I have items behind the front seat that block the view of the traditional mirror.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
What the heck? Why are we all stuck wearing glasses? Lol... I wear them for distance so the smaller details around me are blurry when I have my driving glasses on, like the time on my radio, for example. The one thing my Laramie doesn't have is the mirror camera and HUD, which now that I'm reading this thread, I'm no longer upset about. I assumed the HUD would be a bit blurry, but I never thought about the camera. I know you're looking for suggestions and I didn't give any, but I'm anxious to see how you resolve this since my next truck will be a Limited.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What the heck? Why are we all stuck wearing glasses? Lol... I wear them for distance so the smaller details around me are blurry when I have my driving glasses on, like the time on my radio, for example. The one thing my Laramie doesn't have is the mirror camera and HUD, which now that I'm reading this thread, I'm no longer upset about. I assumed the HUD would be a bit blurry, but I never thought about the camera. I know you're looking for suggestions and I didn't give any, but I'm anxious to see how you resolve this since my next truck will be a Limited.
The HUD is not blurry. And like I mentioned earlier, even if the mirror is somewhat blurry, it's still better than nothing if the back window is obscured by something. I could live without the mirror, but love the HUD!

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Well actually the previous idea to tilt the mirror works for glare because ( why didn’t I think!) the CAMERA shows the view! Doesn’t matter where the mirror points! BNeal is a star, though probably like us/me and older more mature, wise star! Lol

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
And yes, I like my HUD. Can you move the position it shines on screen up/down? Can’t seem to do that myself. I would like to move it up just a tad.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I may not use my digital mirror, but I love the HUD. It's not blurry at all, and you can adjust its position and brightness level. I can even see it fine when I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses (prescription of course).

And yes, I like my HUD. Can you move the position it shines on screen up/down? Can’t seem to do that myself. I would like to move it up just a tad.
You can adjust the position using the settings in the gauge cluster (left steering wheel buttons). It's one of the menu items in there.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
The HUD is not blurry. And like I mentioned earlier, even if the mirror is somewhat blurry, it's still better than nothing if the back window is obscured by something. I could live without the mirror, but love the HUD!

Yeah for sure. Mine has everything a loaded out Laramie has besides the HUD, cam mirror, and sunroof, but I'll get all of that with my next purchase.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
To the OP, can you get a different set for driving? A 2nd pair of glasses?

As for the rest, the mirror cam is stupid (but in this case it works well, the HUD is a novelty that I easily live without. It is cool "at first" but I have had HUD in my cars since 1998 - no biggie to me.

TonyWhats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just picked up a PW with the digital rear view. For those that use it, do you have it digital all the time or is it something you switch on at times? I tried driving with it and I guess I have to get used to the fact that the vehicles are moving quicker then they appear from the camera feed.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I googled the Ram HUD & the issues ppl are having
Many said that they had to twist their head a certain way when wearing a certain type of glasses

I pictured in my head, the gal in the exorcist movies

Last edited: