Digital rear view mirror tow mode option snafu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snackchaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
So I ordered a 2022 Limited 2500 with the digital rear view mirror in September. However, the dealer said that the Wired Tow Mode option (XH7) was not available. This option provides a trailer mounted camera that plugs into the bumper so you can see behind the trailer in the digital rear view mirror while driving. Pretty cool.

I ordered the truck anyway with assurance that they could dealer-add the tow mode option later. After several weeks into the build, I discovered (in this forum) that the option was available. It took confirmation with another dealer before my dealer admitted that it was available. And when pushed, they also admitted that it probably could not be added at a reasonable cost without changing out the mirror, etc.. But they had confidence that the factory would add it to the build. Today they finally informed me that the truck is built, and the option was not added by the factory.

So my question is whether anyone knows if this option can be added at a reasonable cost and if parts are available?

Otherwise if I accept the truck as-built, it will always bother me that I didn't get what I really wanted. If I re-order a truck (from another dealer of course) it will set me back another 3 months.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Geez, i have not walked around a newer Ram in 6 years
This stuff almost scares me

Snackchaser, if you are not in a rush, order another one
unless your dealership puts it in writing that his dealership can install everything that you ordered & that it would work as designed

Good Luck

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I ordered a 2022 Limited 2500 with the digital rear view mirror in September. However, the dealer said that the Wired Tow Mode option (XH7) was not available. This option provides a trailer mounted camera that plugs into the bumper so you can see behind the trailer in the digital rear view mirror while driving. Pretty cool.

I ordered the truck anyway with assurance that they could dealer-add the tow mode option later. After several weeks into the build, I discovered (in this forum) that the option was available. It took confirmation with another dealer before my dealer admitted that it was available. And when pushed, they also admitted that it probably could not be added at a reasonable cost without changing out the mirror, etc.. But they had confidence that the factory would add it to the build. Today they finally informed me that the truck is built, and the option was not added by the factory.

So my question is whether anyone knows if this option can be added at a reasonable cost and if parts are available?

Otherwise if I accept the truck as-built, it will always bother me that I didn't get what I really wanted. If I re-order a truck (from another dealer of course) it will set me back another 3 months.
If you ordered a truck that is optioned with the digital rear view mirror, the you will already have the correct mirror, and the truck will be wired for the tow mode camera with the port on the the bumper already there. All you would need after the fact is the tow mode camera kit- part number 68527599AA. That part number is probably not available to buy just yet, but it will be once they get the 2022 parts catalog fully populated.
5644838B-93AE-449A-B275-8CCC95190229.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Snackchaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks Jimmy, that's great news! This is the first time I’ve heard that the digital rear view mirror option includes a receptacle for a separately ordered trailer rear view camera. Thanks for the part number too, it will also useful for anyone who needs another camera for a second trailer.

Honestly, I was so frustrated with the dealer that I was looking at a Super Duty with those nice massaging seats. But the 4-6 month estimated build time killed that deal. Our new travel trailer will be ready for pick-up in February. All is good though, because I still like the RAM better, and my dealer agreed to discount the price due to this issue.

Throughout this ordeal, I was unimpressed with various dealers lack of knowledge and understanding of the trailer camera options, or how to include them with the various build configurations. I pretty much had to figure it out by myself and walk them through it. Although the RAM website is slowly improving, the trailer camera options are still somewhat unclear and inconsistently described. I’m no expert on them, but this what I think I know so far:

1. Trailer camera wiring (no camera) option. This option prewires the truck for a separately ordered camera that could be mounted anywhere and viewed on the 12” display. For example: It could be used to watch what happening inside a trailer similar to the cargo view camera looking inside the truck bed. I don’t know how or where it's connected.

2. Wired tow mode camera. This camera mounts on the back of the trailer and is viewed in the digital rear view mirror to see behind the trailer during normal driving. It has some kind of coaxial connection on the bumper. I personally like this option because after years of towing I still habitually glance at the rearview mirror only to see the front of my trailer. It is primarily for daylight driving only.

3. Trailer surround view camera system. This involves several cameras mounted on the sides and back of trailer and viewed on the 12” display. These cameras have to be calibrated, or setup, to give a 360 degree view around the trailer. I believe they can only be used at slow speed or reverse. This $995 option may not be for everyone because the cameras have to be separately ordered at additional expense According to my trailer guy, when the side cameras are mounted at the optimum mirror hight they can become obstructions. The surround view camera option includes a normal 7 pin receptacle for trailer wiring and separate 12 pin receptacle for the cameras.

I hope this helps folks to understand these options, and please correct me if I’ve made any errors in this explanation.
Snackchaser

Vapors56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO Diesel
Thanks for your post - I just took delivery of a 2022 3500 with the Tow Mode Digital Rear view wired camera. The truck came with the parts necessary for the trailer: Camera, coaxial cable, and docking station for the trailer tongue. Problem is, there is NO cable to connect the docking station to the port on the rear of the truck. Is this the part that Jimmy07 was referring to (# 68527599AA) that may not be available yet or is that part the trailer portion of the kit? The dealer is clueless when it comes to this stuff. Seems to me that the truck to trailer connector should be part of the package. Any thoughts or knowledge about this? Thanks.

Elvira

Reaction score
Re-order your truck else where, get what you want...the money they ask for trucks is well worth having exactly what you want. Life is too short to settle, especially with a dealer giving you the run around. Three months is an easy wait, will be worth it in the end.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for your post - I just took delivery of a 2022 3500 with the Tow Mode Digital Rear view wired camera. The truck came with the parts necessary for the trailer: Camera, coaxial cable, and docking station for the trailer tongue. Problem is, there is NO cable to connect the docking station to the port on the rear of the truck. Is this the part that Jimmy07 was referring to (# 68527599AA) that may not be available yet or is that part the trailer portion of the kit? The dealer is clueless when it comes to this stuff. Seems to me that the truck to trailer connector should be part of the package. Any thoughts or knowledge about this? Thanks.
The docking station is just a dummy plug that you plug the main coax connector into when the trailer is not in use. When you want to use the tow mode camera, plug that main coax connector into the port that is on the driver side of the license plate.

Main coax connector-
BC9B224B-E8D8-4E2A-B75E-ED416B2C3BA6.jpeg

Docking station that you fix to the trailer tongue-
0C96CE94-FE2E-4F3E-AC9A-93A63472519D.jpeg

Bumper port that the main coax connector plugs into-
DE2D6B19-B750-4B25-B73E-8B0C93DF2005.jpeg

Attachments

• 5D0B1D53-2D9C-4A80-9CCE-2DB2A077EE76.jpeg
    5D0B1D53-2D9C-4A80-9CCE-2DB2A077EE76.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 27

Vapors56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO Diesel
Well, I'm officially an idiot. On closer inspection of the wiring system I found that the docking station for the trailer tongue is not a connector but simply a place to "dock" the end of the coaxial cable when it's not in use. Just protects the end of the cable from the elements. It gets removed from the dock and plugged into the back of the bumper to the left of the license plate. Pardon my confusion.

Vapors56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO Diesel
Guess it would have helped me if I had read Jimmy07's post from earlier yesterday evening too. How do you know all the stuff you do??? And thank you for your knowledge and willingness to share it, Jimmy07

OP
OP
S

Snackchaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My 2022 2500 Limited RAM truck arrived today, and Jimmy was right. Not only was there an outlet on the bumper for a (separately ordered) digital rear view trailer camera, there was also another outlet for the (separately ordered) trailer surround view cameras. Also, the digital mirror has a switch for the trailer camera, and the 12 inch screen has provisions for the trailer surround view.

Still the dealer did not recognize this, and I was given discount on the final price. All is well, love the truck.
Snackchaser

traynoral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The docking station is just a dummy plug that you plug the main coax connector into when the trailer is not in use. When you want to use the tow mode camera, plug that main coax connector into the port that is on the driver side of the license plate.

Main coax connector-
View attachment 479003

Docking station that you fix to the trailer tongue-
View attachment 479005

Bumper port that the main coax connector plugs into-
View attachment 479002
Thank you for these pictures. Finally some answers which are like to pull teeth from the dealer or from Ram directly. I am ordering a 2022 Ram 4500 Chassis Cab to pull my fifth wheel and this is an option I can add to my up fit. Do you know how long the cable is for the trailer? Are there extensions available?

justjumpit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
So your truck came with the actual camera to put on your trailer and feed to the rear view mirror? Have you hooked it up and used it when towing? If so will you share your opinion on how it well it works?

I ordered my truck with the safety package that includes the digital rear view mirror as well as XH7 tow mode camera wired but there was no camera in my truck at delivery and my dealer said the option was just for the wiring. I have the plug on the plug on the bumper but can’t find a camera that is compatible??? Ram chat, local parts and the dealer I ordered through have no clue. What a frustrating process!

dovgopol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Pickup 4D
Everything is so interesting. This forum is a gem!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ordered my truck with the safety package that includes the digital rear view mirror as well as XH7 tow mode camera wired but there was no camera in my truck at delivery
Did you order the actual wired tow mode camera option? XH7 is NOT included with the safety package. You have to order it as a stand alone item, which is only available if you choose the safety package.
There will also be a separate line item under options on the window sticker that says “tow mode camera (wired)- $450”. Do you have that on your sticker?
1C18795A-F55A-4C90-B501-7B7BCA22A5FB.jpeg
5D4A6FB1-E227-4CE2-B4A7-8755C8893BCE.jpeg

justjumpit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Did you order the actual wired tow mode camera option? XH7 is NOT included with the safety package. You have to order it as a stand alone item, which is only available if you choose the safety package.
There will also be a separate line item under options on the window sticker that says “tow mode camera (wired)- $450”. Do you have that on your sticker?
View attachment 483300
View attachment 483301
I do, I’m attaching my build sheet. I asked about the camera when I picked up the truck and the dealer said it is just wires and everything that should be in the vehicle was there. I’ve spent the past few weeks trying to figure out how to find the camera that goes with this system and came across your posts. I questioned the dealer again but he said he can’t help me and everything was in the vehicle that came with it. Any suggestions on what I can do? I’m guessing since I signed off on the truck that I may be out of luck but I can’t even find this camera/wiring to purchase???

Attachments

• B48B4D5D-AC67-47D4-8BAD-AB0324444F23.jpeg
    B48B4D5D-AC67-47D4-8BAD-AB0324444F23.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 10

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do, I’m attaching my build sheet. I asked about the camera when I picked up the truck and the dealer said it is just wires and everything that should be in the vehicle was there. I’ve spent the past few weeks trying to figure out how to find the camera that goes with this system and came across your posts. I questioned the dealer again but he said he can’t help me and everything was in the vehicle that came with it. Any suggestions on what I can do? I’m guessing since I signed off on the truck that I may be out of luck but I can’t even find this camera/wiring to purchase???
That’s your POC, so that just shows what you ordered, not what the truck is actually equipped with. The final say on whether or not your truck should be equipped with it is the vehicle equipment listing, which is the build sheet that is populated as soon as the truck is built. If it’s not listed under the options there, then they screwed up your build, and in their eyes, you don’t get it. If it’s on there, then you are supposed to receive the kit. It definitely makes it harder since you took delivery of it, but I would check your equipment listing (link to enter your VIN below), and if it’s on there, contact RamCares and see if you have any recourse. The part number for the XH7 kit is 68527599AA, but I don’t think it’s available for purchase yet.

Driven1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram BigHorn Night Edition
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Wow. Lots of knowledge in this thread BUT I’m new to the Ram world and bought my truck to pull my travel trailer. My trailer is pre wired for a rear camera. My truck has on the bumper the attachment plug for the camera coax cable. After reading these posts I’m confused what I need to make my trailer camera work through my digital rear view mirror? Here is my window sticker with my options. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1EB127AB-686E-4F3A-969D-5A5EB5201D7F.jpeg
    1EB127AB-686E-4F3A-969D-5A5EB5201D7F.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 11

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow. Lots of knowledge in this thread BUT I’m new to the Ram world and bought my truck to pull my travel trailer. My trailer is pre wired for a rear camera. My truck has on the bumper the attachment plug for the camera coax cable. After reading these posts I’m confused what I need to make my trailer camera work through my digital rear view mirror? Here is my window sticker with my options. Any advice is appreciated.
You would need to somehow buy the XH7 tow mode camera that we’ve been talking about.

justjumpit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
That’s your POC, so that just shows what you ordered, not what the truck is actually equipped with. The final say on whether or not your truck should be equipped with it is the vehicle equipment listing, which is the build sheet that is populated as soon as the truck is built. If it’s not listed under the options there, then they screwed up your build, and in their eyes, you don’t get it. If it’s on there, then you are supposed to receive the kit. It definitely makes it harder since you took delivery of it, but I would check your equipment listing (link to enter your VIN below), and if it’s on there, contact RamCares and see if you have any recourse. The part number for the XH7 kit is 68527599AA, but I don’t think it’s available for purchase yet.
It’s on the window sticker. Thanks so much for the info!

Attachments

• E51AFF00-C236-46C2-BCB8-E2A4EE1731AB.jpeg
    E51AFF00-C236-46C2-BCB8-E2A4EE1731AB.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 13