disable auto park, can it be done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What do you mean auto park?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think they should give the option to shut safety features off if we want. If someone feels the need to back up with their door open, so be it, but the option shouldn't be easy and it should be clear they intended to MAKE the vehicle bypass the safety feature.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you tried doing it with your seatbelt on? My truck will back up with the door open. Not something I normaly do, but I have done it. Mine is a 2017 though. Backed a dump trailer and a mobile service trailer onto a 53'highboy to haul them to a job site. Trailers were as wide as the trailer I had to back up a ramp onto and the truck isn't much narrower. Nice to be able to see the edge of the deck out my door especially with the sun behind me.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My 16 you can back up or what ever with the door open and seat belt off.

I could see that would be a pain in the **** .

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ive never heard of opening the door to back up anything other than an old Lamborghini

You can back a Countach up without opening the door...if you have someone guiding you (think aircraft marshalling) ..LOL

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m just lazy and some times I have to move my truck and move it forward or back wards and not close my door. Most time I don’t look out the door or use my mirrors or the review cam.. just didn’t feel like closing the door to only re open it again in 5 feet.

OP
OP
razor1

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're opening a door to back up.....You're an idiot!
Learn to properly use mirrors and turn your head every now and then.
When your backing a 34 foot boat in a tight spot, I prefer to look at the real picture with my eyes and not a mirror sir. Oh by the way , you know the old saying , " if you don't have something helpful to say, then shut the f**k up".

OP
OP
razor1

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly doubt you can disable the Auto Park feature as it is a safety feature to keep people from leaving the vehicle in gear when they get out while the vehicle is running.
I did find this(read twords the end): https://www.torquenews.com/3768/why-new-2017-ram-1500-safety-feature-confusing-drivers

I really don't see the need to open a door when your backing up a vehicle, If you know how to use the sideview mirrors.

I have to back in a 34 foot boat in a tight spot, was very easy with my 2016 R/T , but with the 2018 I need someone to guide me and sometimes that is not possible . Thanks for the heads up on the article crash68.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When your backing a 34 foot boat in a tight spot, I prefer to look at the real picture with my eyes and not a mirror sir. Oh by the way , you know the old saying , " if you don't have something helpful to say, then shut the f**k up".

I've been backing my 48' flatbed for years only using mirrors, I back my 53' box trailer with only the mirrors as well.

I stand by my statement that anyone that has to open the door to back up a pickup with or without a trailer is an idiot.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone’s intitled to their opinion, and we all have different scenerios we deal with.. No one is perfect
Or deserves that treatment. some ideas are better than others. And we are all here to help each other.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Now, on a Jeep Cherokee, you definately will NOT have any doors open while the vehicle is in motion. it will put on the parking brake. It freaked me out the first time.

but I am not familiar with this being a function of a current gen RAM truck. I just my backup camera to back in my driveway.

JayMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why is everyone being a jerk? There is no need for such hatefulness. We are all a community with a common bond. Let’s us pull together and help each other out. When you belittle someone, you are the person that looks small and weak.

Anyway, auto park gets me all the time in my 2017 1500. I’ve had it for almost 4 months and still haven’t got use to it. For me, it’s not about backing up but going forward. Sometimes, I need to pull the truck up a couple of car lengths because I’m next in line to load something. Normally, I wouldn’t close the door for that or would just hold the door mostly closed with my hand. Now, if I try that or open the door before it’s completely stoped and I’m park the dreaded auto park kicks in. SUCH A PAIN!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very strange, I just put it in reverse, no seatbelt, opened door and rolled it back out of parking stall. Put it in drive, opened door and rolled it foreward about 30 ft.
Only thing I have done is silence the seatbelt chime
I use mirrors but my 17 doesn't autopark!?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963