Disabling EGR 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TGabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I read somewhere that the EGR has 2 butterfly valves set 90° off of one another. So that even when disabled, one of the valves is still always open. Is this true?

How does emissions intact tuning truly disable it if this is the case?

20190404_065755.jpg

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That does not look like a Cummins EGR valve. The two valves on the 6.7L are on one shaft that is either open or close. It also utilizes a throttle valve location between the EGR valve and intercooler to create a vacuum and pull gas through the EGR valve when open.

Here is a video that shows the operation of the Cummins 6.7L EGR valve.

Cummins 6.7L EGR Cleaning

OP
OP
TGabe

TGabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The pictured item IS a 13-17 6.7 cummins EGR bypass valve.

OP
OP
TGabe

TGabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The valve I attached is on the passenger side attached to the exhaust manifold. I guess the valve on the actual intake can be closed all the way, but then that entire crossover tube and valve on driver side would eventually be 100% clogged.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My EGR system was on my truck after I deleted the DPF/SCR for tens of thousands of miles before I finally removed it. It didn't look clogged or have any signs that it was eventually going to be clogged. If that is your concern then they do sell block off easily slip in between the EGR cooler and exhaust manifold.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just a fair warning though. if you do delete the EGR system along with the rest of it, buy a resonator. I had zero drone with the DPF/SCR off, but when I finally removed the EGR system, the drone was unbearable.

OP
OP
TGabe

TGabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just a fair warning though. if you do delete the EGR system along with the rest of it, buy a resonator. I had zero drone with the DPF/SCR off, but when I finally removed the EGR system, the drone was unbearable.

This isn't my first 6.7, this is just the first one I'm wanting to hold off on deleting. My last one was fully deleted.

Raymillsus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have the EZlynk tuner and it shuts it all off. I have everything plugged in. The tuner takes like 20 min to install permanently with the unlock cable all the time in there. The EGR Delete to say the least is a huge PIMFA. It can take hours and it is not necessary. The guy I got mine through got me

EZlynk
Downpipe back with Muffler
SOTF switch
EGT relocate relocate
HPP Tun package

And the price was not that bad. But I Did not remove any EGR. The only thing that gets replaced is the Exhaust. It runs great and chosing the tune you want to run is the only real tough part. But with the EZlynk you connect an App to the tuner and it installs over wifi directly into the Tuner. Is this the best Tuner. I have no idea. Do I like how this tuner operates. Yes I Do. Makes things easy. I wanted a tune that was a bit different. So i asked for something and days later I had it. Really great customer Service at HPP. Now that they are HPP/CTT I think it will just get better. Both HPP and CTT are well known for their tunes.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It keeps exhaust and carbon build up from entering into the EGR cooler which is known to crack and leak coolant if it gets too bad. When/if that will happen is unknown so many add them for insurance or they just remove the whole system like I did.

Timothy Schuman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
So then what happens to the exhaust and carbon?. Does it improve anything like power or mph. Is it easy to put in?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It goaes out the exhaust instead of accumulating in the small spaces of the cooler. The EGR cooler looks like a radiator internally so you can probably see how the carbon get accumulate.

It does not improve anything power or mpg. Yes, it is very easy to install. You just loosen the bolts on the EGR cooler to the manifold and slide right in.

I don't believe you can do this without turning the EGR off with a tuner. Not 100% on thatm but if I am right then the truck will go into limp mode without it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you remove the EGR you have an open hole in the tube that would normally feed the gas to the EGR. You have to block it off or the truck won't run very well at all.