Disabling MDS - Greta Thunberg is tracking me now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
After reading about devices, tunes and whatnot about how to disable MDS, I stumbled upon the trick of manually setting 8th gear as the max gear - genius.

I set 8th as max gear on a run this morning and whoa... what a difference. Having all 8 cylinders on tap and not having to put up with the MDS was amazing. ZERO lag when taking off from a light, no weed whacker sound or jittering when cruising. Mmmmm....

Now I'm on the lookout for Greta...

6301d347b4ab8a13c19a4770e45170a9.png

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How dare you!!

I don’t mind MDS for most of my driving. On the highway it’s not even noticeable other than it does help with fuel mileage. In the city or cruising in the forest it’s annoying. There must be something different with the system in the 6.4 as it’s a lot more noticeable than the 5.7 in the Charger I drive daily. Or maybe it’s just the Ram is so much quieter and smoother than the Charger.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Politics aside. I just dislike how easy it is to "dog" the truck. I love driving this thing but you can't cruise with mds on. Otherwise you're doing 30 in 7th gear with it just grunting.

Happiest I've been is dragging 8k around. Mds off. Tow haul on. I like getting the 2.5 mpg more but I do force this truck to downshift just so it doesn't sound so much like it's struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So that's been a solution for many years with many vehicles. I've never experienced any signficant fuel mileage improvements with MDS On vs. MDF Off.

Is your solution Genius? Maybe not. Effective? Yup.

Don't worry about Greta...her 15 minutes of fame and relevancy passed a long time ago.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Not my solution... I just found it and thought it was genius as I was set to spend $200...

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
When I read some of the posts on this topic it makes me wonder of there are different PCM calibrations for the 6.4 in use, or perhaps I’m just lucky. I don’t experience any of the negative aspects of MDS that are frequently reported, and I’m VERY particular about performance and NVH issues. If not for the indications in the dash, I couldn’t say whether it’s active or not.

I have considered disabling the OBD connector if I ever take it in for warranty repairs (assuming it’s not a repair that required use of it of course). I’ve had perfectly running vehicles degraded by firmware upgrades, and there’s no reversal process; or at least none they’ll admit to.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’ve got no issues with the MDS but wanted to experience it without it enabled.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, my 2014 is the same way... just cap it at 6th gear (that's all I have!) and no more MDS.

Don't worry about Greta...her 15 minutes of fame and relevancy passed a long time ago.

Don't count on it.... just this week it was in the news that they put her on some Covid-19 panel or something (not sure what qualified her for that?). Also, I was just FORCED to suffer through her "famous" speech as my 6th grader was working through the Climate Change section of her science class. The education system props her up like some hero! How Dare You suggest she's going away :) :)

R

Rogues Gambit

Don't count on it.... just this week it was in the news that they put her on some Covid-19 panel or something (not sure what qualified her for that?). Also, I was just FORCED to suffer through her "famous" speech as my 6th grader was working through the Climate Change section of her science class. The education system props her up like some hero! How Dare You suggest she's going away :) :)

She's in 6th grade? I thought she was a midget 20something yo crisis actor who they portray as a teen, learn new **** every day.

Besides that though, they're just trying to revive her 15 minutes, and of course
85d24ezao2441.jpg
s-l300.jpg1150763921.jpg

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
She's in 6th grade? I thought she was a midget 20something yo crisis actor who they portray as a teen, learn new **** every day.

No... my daughter is in 6th grade. I think Gretta is a teen-ish something.

It's funny, at the start of this section of science the teacher sends out a huge disclaimer stating that she has no control over the subject matter. Basically, don't complain to me type of thing. I'm sure that is the result of catching major hell in the past. Although in my ultra-liberal state of Oregon the curriculum is over the top. It's going to take all I have to get my kids "un-programmed" after suffering through all the BS.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I turn the MDS off all the time when in town on my 2017 Rebel. Couple clicks and it's done. When I'm on the highway with the cruise on I usually keep it on.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I frickin HATE MDS. I don't know if it's worse on my configuration or what. It's the biggest thing I dislike on my truck. 2019 crew cab long bed 4x4 2500 6.4. At 1900 rpm under a light load it vibrates annoyingly.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I frickin HATE MDS. I don't know if it's worse on my configuration or what. It's the biggest thing I dislike on my truck. 2019 crew cab long bed 4x4 2500 6.4. At 1900 rpm under a light load it vibrates annoyingly.
I’m with you there, driving around town when light on the peddle it just stumbles all over itself.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I HATE the MDS as well.
EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I get in my truck, I shut it off. :rocking: :drink_nl:

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading about devices, tunes and whatnot about how to disable MDS, I stumbled upon the trick of manually setting 8th gear as the max gear - genius.

I set 8th as max gear on a run this morning and whoa... what a difference. Having all 8 cylinders on tap and not having to put up with the MDS was amazing. ZERO lag when taking off from a light, no weed whacker sound or jittering when cruising. Mmmmm....

Now I'm on the lookout for Greta...

View attachment 207476
greta or no I select my gears every single time I am in Drive. I love the eight speed but I hate four cylinders. I will never run my truck on just the four. All I can think of is the Cadillac 864 debacle. I know times have changed and I know the technology is better but I see uneven wear as an issue and just don’t like the idea. I know everything still rotates and I know everything still good oil but it doesn’t get the spark or the firing. It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Mark Wolverton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I turn the MDS off all the time when in town on my 2017 Rebel. Couple clicks and it's done. When I'm on the highway with the cruise on I usually keep it on.
And how do you turn it off again?

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And how do you turn it off again?

Just click the gear selector (arrow) to the right when you're in top gear.

I find that if I'm in town...in say 4th gear...and I click left to engage gear picking...then right/right/right/right to get it to stay (or top out) in 8th (top gear) occasionally I click too fast and after it hits 8, the next right click...it goes OFF. Then I have to reclick left and right/right/right/right again.

Hope that makes sense. Try it out!