Disappointed 2022 2500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAINCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would not consider the above descriptions of a CTD a general assessment, as the majority do not have problems (to the point I think you are making). The general majority of CTD or 6.4 do not have problems, of course.

It’s a possibility - and one that is (despite being relatively uncommon), seems more common now than ever it seems. And, if you end up with a problem unit, the odds really no longer matter. It’s you that has to deal with it and it’s you that has to eat it.

When you’re buying you don’t know if you’re going to get one that is a problem; so you have to think through the logic of getting unlucky - specifically whether or not you can justify the economics of such a scenario - and be pleasantly surprised if you’re wrong.

Good scenarios take care of themselves. It’s the bad draws you have to be prepared to absorb - unless of course daddy can bail you out.

A $10,000 motor upgrade, higher maintenance costs, $1500/trip emissions fixes, and limp mode while on vacation (not to mention as early as OP referenced) equals a scenario that I’m simply not interested in if I have even a remotely viable alternative - regardless of the odds.

But my truck is largely preference, not for daily work. If you have to have the CTD for a paycheck, the answer is easier - not to mention that kind of application minimizes the emissions issues. I don’t use mine that way.

If you’re not using it that intensely, I think the 6.4 is more compelling than ever - esp w/ the 8sp trans. I get 13-18 w/ my 4.10. No way a diesel beats that enough to cover the delta without deletes. Plus deletes bring about their own additional headaches and additional cost.

Not hating on the CTD.
But, if I paid the current price tags of any trim level over about a tradesmen with a CTD and I was dealing with the emissions issues mentioned, I would be absolutely sick.

Who wants to spend that kind of money “hoping it’s not a bad one.”

If that happens with a 6.4, I can replace the whole thing it and still cheaper than CTD. That worst case scenario is a far better than a $70K-$95K CTD that is less than reliable.

If you have have a CTD with recurring emission problems you will absolutely never dig out of that financial hole, not to mention the hair-pulling runaround you will experience - esp when out of warranty.

NOTE: My previous truck was a 2021 GMC 1500 AT4. In the shop four times because of lifters with 15,000 miles. Words cannot describe the frustration.

The difference (other than make):
That was on a $48K truck…
I cannot begin to imagine that same feeling with $70-$95K invested.

Not even close to worth it w/ the current emissions variables unless you absolutely have to have torque for gross towing above what a 6.4 can do.

Also note 1000 pounds lesser payload on CTD, and less capable off-road due to extra engine weight.

NOTE2: I post all of this with a respectful tone. I anguished over this decision more than any I can remember. As I mentioned I literally tried and tried to find a way to justify the diesel. It has a cool element that is without comparison. I just could not get there mentally when it comes to financial feasibility.

(notice I’m still reading these chat boards…. perhaps unconsciously trying to discover a reason to trade my 6.4 for a CTD! - have not found one)

$.02

Trick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We all take a leap of faith when we buy anything new. Large issues can happen to anybody, at any time, with any manufacturer. I just pretty much weigh what I need out of a truck, get the truck that closely reflects those needs and pray every second it doesn't end up blowing up... . I still have a 2005 Ford f150 that had a cam phaser issue that arrived at about the 100,000 mark. I dropped over 7,000 into that truck to keep it going and I still have it. I hope I don't end up with the same issue with my 2021 Ram 6.4. If it happens I'll deal with it like I did last time. It's only money.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
It makes me wonder if the Big Three do long term 100K mile tests?
Just last week I saw a 2022 Laramie 3500 6.7 that had been "lightened up." The guy was a serious hotshotter and couldn't rely on the emissions systems.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
NEVER BUY A RAM AGAIN!! Make a statement!! And when you get a Chevy/Ford and it screws up, do the same thing...Eventually, you run out of brands and options. I buy a new truck every two years. One thing I noticed is that no matter the brand, each has a service department because THEIR STUFF BREAKS, TOO. They all do. You drew the short straw...I've drawn a few.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
4th time to the dealership with "Service DEF System See Dealer". @RamCares you put a block heater on the truck for coolant that is good to -20F. Time to upgrade the DEF tank heater. My dealer does a great job of getting me in and reprogramming the PCM.
Hi,
As the social engagement team, we rely on the knowledge of our dealer network in order to address any technical concerns or questions. We recommend reaching out to your local dealer for additional assistance.

Rob
Ram Cares

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Even one is have problems right
Now ( thank Uncle Joe),
Especially the diesel world,
Have any anything that runs
W/O problem is pretty cool
Right now,

OP
OP
N

Np2mr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTF
Update:

Thanks for the encouraging words.

After the CEI self cleared I spoke with the dealership and we elected to wait and see what happened. Though that maybe there was residual frozen DEF in the lines.

Hauled about 1400 miles to pick up the new travel trailer and on the outbound trip was amazing. Used about 1/3 tank of DEF hauling my trade in camper. Mileage was about what I expected.

Got to my destination and again pulled a P208C code. I could not clear it with my code reader and had to find a local dealer to reset the system so I could get home

Shout out to Terry Hendricks CDJR for being so accommodating. They couldn’t clear the code but were able to reset the failure message and delay the limp mode so I could get home. Again hauled great, but this time the DEF needle barely moved.

Got it to my dealership and they put a new pump in the truck. They still had the one they ordered for me on the shelf. That didn’t clear the fault code.

I have had a loaner for a week. They have involved the “Regional Tech Support” who in turn has reached out to “ the design engineers”. I am told that they have tried three different pumps to rule a bad replacement as a possible cause.

My dealership has been very responsive and supportive, so not a knock against them. I believe they are doing the best they can.

The saga continues…..

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't forget that there are Lemon Law's in most states. I had to go that route on a Ford diesel truck some years ago. Thing was constantly in the shop. Owned it a year and got every penny back, including taxes and plates.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It makes me wonder if the Big Three do long term 100K mile tests?
Just last week I saw a 2022 Laramie 3500 6.7 that had been "lightened up." The guy was a serious hotshotter and couldn't rely on the emissions systems.
They do. If you live around the Detroit metro you may receive a letter inviting your vehicle to be tested. They typically offer a loaner vehicle, $500, and a full tank when your vehicle is returned. Emission testing takes a week or so. I've been invited a few times but never took them up because the loaner isn't a vehicle that can tow, it is a car that can't pull anything.

This whole emissions CO2 stuff is mostly political, someone is making money. I remember back in the 70s we were told extinction will happen in 12 or whatever years. Guess what, we are still here and still listening to the same rhetoric.

Among other interests, I'm an amateur meteorologist and have taken several courses put on by local NWS offices over the years. You hear all this talk about greenhouse gases from the media and politicians telling us in 12 years we will be extinct or whatever word salad is being served that day.

About 95% of the greenhouse gas is made up of water vapor, yep, humidity is the culprit and we can't control that. CO2 comes in at about 3.6% and most of the CO2 is natural with only us creating 1/3 of 1% (0.3%). Are you surprised?

Don't think I'm making this up, I'm just an amateur that can read. My source for these numbers is from the book ‘The Physics of Atmospheres, 3rd edition,’ Cambridge University Press, 2002. by John Houghton. This is by no means the only source but you have to wade through the misinformation to find the truths. For the layman, it is difficult to separate the two.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I havent figured why the DEF and fuel tank heaters aren't on some kind of circuit like the block heater.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm awaiting what will probably be my last diesel truck. Ordered it in early Nov, it just arrived in the local rail yard. I wanted to re-order a 6.4 w/ 4.10s, but I don't want to wait another 6-7 months for it. I'll see what 2023 has to offer besides new mirrors.

OP
OP
N

Np2mr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTF
The dealership has had my truck for over two weeks. Three DEF pumps, one new DEF module and a wiring harness they allegedly pulled from a truck on the lot and they still can’t get the code to clear.

I am half way to the 30 days that can trigger the Lemon Law in my state….that will be a hassle no doubt.

I cannot express how frustrating and disappointing this is. I am making payments on a vehicle I can’t drive. My confidence in Ram is deeply shaken.

I just want my old truck back……except it won’t tow the new camper that sits in my driveway unable to go anywhere because I don’t have a truck big enough to haul it…..( the loaner is only a 1500).

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
The dealership has had my truck for over two weeks. Three DEF pumps, one new DEF module and a wiring harness they allegedly pulled from a truck on the lot and they still can’t get the code to clear.

I am half way to the 30 days that can trigger the Lemon Law in my state….that will be a hassle no doubt.

I cannot express how frustrating and disappointing this is. I am making payments on a vehicle I can’t drive. My confidence in Ram is deeply shaken.

I just want my old truck back……except it won’t tow the new camper that sits in my driveway unable to go anywhere because I don’t have a truck big enough to haul it…..( the loaner is only a 1500).
Man what a nightmare. Sorry to hear this. The stories I read and hear similar to this is why I went gas on my latest 3/4 ton. We're looking at campers. If we get a camper my current Ram doesn't pull very well I may switch to a bigger gas engine but I won't go back to diesel.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Very frustrating! I had to Lemon Law a Ford power stroke. It took a little time, but it was not really that bad of a process. I got every penny I paid back, plus tags and tax. Sometimes you do get a lemon, unfortunately.

OP
OP
N

Np2mr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTF
Never ending saga…..

I got a call on 4/14 that the truck was fixed. Apparently they put yet another new DEF pump in ( 3rd or 4th) and suddenly the codes were cleared. I picked the truck up the following afternoon and didn’t make it home before the CEI light was back on. Again a 208C, Reductant Pump Control Circuit Low.

The dealership sent a driver with a loaner vehicle the following day. Only partially helpful because the loaner is not capable of safely towing my camper. Additionally I was told that I am not allowed to use the loaner for any type of towing.

I spoke to the dealership this morning. I was told that they are requesting the Regional Service Technician come to the dealership and assess the vehicle. This will take several days for approval and travel time.

The vehicle has been continuously out of service for 21 days thus far……

Dealership states “known issue” but they have not been able to fix it with the “usual” repairs.

This should stand as a caution to anyone considering the CTD in a 2500/ 3500….