Disappointed with Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Rodriguez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Purchased a new 2019 Laramie quad cab and I have to say the truck feels like a gen 4 in a new suit. Mds is still the worst!!!. I read so many reviews about the truck being so smooth and the mds being less noticeable and that's just not the case. When i test drove my truck it was smooth i said to my self finally a smooth ram, but after a couple hundred miles I could start to feel the vibrations just like in my gen 4. The vibrations are more in the steering wheel now unlike my last ram which was more in the pedal.

Honestly I'm so disappointed in my purchase. The truck in my opinion is visually great inside and out, but the powertrain is not smooth which takes away from the smooth ride of the truck. I hate fords but everyone I've ever driven v8 wise has had a smooth powertrain.

Also the radio causes vibrations in the steering wheel I have a 16 Silverado 2500 and I can blast the radio and no crazy vibrations like the ram.
The vibrations are not from having the base all the way up actually the audio settings are still the default settings from factory turn the base up an it's way worse!

Its 2019 and I feel that this is way to much money to spend to have a vehicle that does not feel good to drive.

I'm going to give it an attempt to take it to the dealer and see if they can remedy these issues among others I have not described. I highly doubt the will do anything other than come back and say it operating as designed. So more than likely I'll be getting a new truck soon. Soooooooo disappointed!!!

OP
OP
S

Samuel Rodriguez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad your happy with your truck!
I don't know what to say other that what's maybe smooth to you is not smooth to me I don't know. I've driven a lot of rams and mds seems to be prevalent in 90% of them and the dealers are well aware of it. That being said there does seem to be people that don't have issue with the mds. Maybe I'm just unlucky in picking out trucks lol!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was another post earlier today about MDS that I think says a lot - if you are mostly in city driving conditions, with lots of slow acceleration, small uphill climbs at lower speeds (20-30mph), etc, you will really feel MDS a lot more than if you were on the highway or long stretches doing 50+mph

I can attest to this....the engine seems to "lug" a lot in my case, since most of my driving is putting around on side streets. When Im on the highway and want to give it some throttle, I barely notice the MDS engage or disengage. So, I really think different experiences with it are because of different driving styles and/or conditions.

If you are still unhappy with your truck, Id be happy to trade you my 2017 straight up :)

Nickels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My Laramie is very smooth also, I cant compare it to a 4th gen because I never had one. My last truck was a 12valve cummins, but the previous vehicle was a new ford fusion and this truck feels similar to the sedan. Yeah I still feel the hops in the rear when I go over bumps but its a truck and its not bad at all.

OP
OP
S

Samuel Rodriguez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm very familiar with the character of mds I was hoping they actually made it at least a little better, unfortunately for me not so much. What's interesting is that I did not feel the mds at all during the test drive and I took it on a nice long drive to really feel it out.
I don't have a lead foot and I do a lot of around town driving that's at slower speed so its definitely an issue because that when it's mostly felt. Appreciate the heads up offer but I'm good lol!

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm very familiar with the character of mds I was hoping they actually made it at least a little better, unfortunately for me not so much. What's interesting is that I did not feel the mds at all during the test drive and I took it on a nice long drive to really feel it out.
I don't have a lead foot and I do a lot of around town driving that's at slower speed so its definitely an issue because that when it's mostly felt. Appreciate the heads up offer but I'm good lol!

You can always turn MDS off on your steering wheel, +- button

JDLonghorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
For the life of me I have no idea what people are saying when they say the MDS is so noticeable. I have 2018 Laramie Longhorn 5.7 with 3.92's. It shifts as smooth as butter. I can never tell when the MDS is active or not. The wheel is PERFECT. The ride is insanely smooth. My only complaint would be it doesn't idle as smooth as a Chevy but hey.....nothing does. Maybe the 2019 is different?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There's a thread around here somewhere for disconnection the 2019 anti vibration control module (under driver's seat) that resonates out of phase with the natural vibrations of the truck to even things out.

Maybe it's malfunctioning & worth a trip to the dealer.

M² Mods.

PCord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what you are talking about. I had a 2017 Ford F150 Lariat prior to owning my 2019 RAM Laramie. I thought I loved the F150. My RAM is amazing. The RAM is so smooth and comfortable. Glad I made the switch!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That would make me sick to pay that much for a higher trim level Ram, only to have it feel or ride like crap.

My poor man special 2017 QC 4x4, pentastar rides like old rear wheel drive Buick and idles so smooth and quiet I have to glance at the tach sometimes to make sure it's still running. Way less wind noise than the previous cars and CUVs I drove as well.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s a drag on a brand new truck. MDS is something I think we get used to but it is noticeable around town. I shut mine off from time to time. Also, check into that noise cancellation system. I’ve read that some owners are happier with it disconnected.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can honestly say I’ve never noticed MDS on my 14 or 19. I know the Eco light comes on often but I don’t think that is indicating MDS, just eco type driving practices. I had / have 3.92’s in both trucks with larger tires so maybe MDS never comes on for me?

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I barely notice the MDS other than the slight vibration in the steering wheel once in a while but it's not anywhere near the level of regretting my purchase.

I watched a review a while back and the reviewer of that video quoted another major reviewer (motortrend?) comparing the ride quality of the 2019 ram 1500 to that of the Cadillac ct6.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
if MDS is the same as AFM on my last truck then I feel it sometimes lugging the motor for a few seconds at lower speeds like 30-35 when it needs to kick back into 8 cyl. mode. my '19 laramie is still pretty new so I just figure it will smooth out. I didnt know you could turn it off.