Disappointed with Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Leonard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anything physically vibrate when this is happening? Like steering wheel shaking back and forth, empty seats showing vibration, etc?
Yes it absolutely does. It’s almost like driving over rumble strips. To me it reminds me of a u joint that is going bad. Mine starts right around 55 and will clear up by 70.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From us 80% to the 20% ... please accept our apologies. We love our coil springs![emoji106][emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Lol load that thing up with mulch or gravel will ya!!!!

Stack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have found all the newer vehicles will shift to the highest gear and/or activate mds for fuel mileage. When I'm town driving I turn off the mds. No worries then.

How do you turn off the MDS? I have to switch into TOW mode every time I get in the truck or use the manual shift to limit the gear. Honestly, I am so frustrated with the 8 speed transmission in my 2019 Limited 5.7 Hemi. It is such a chore to drive and it is always 2 or 3 gears higher than it should be. I'm literally driving 25 miles an hour down a side street and the damn tranny is in 7th gear! It lugs and lags and sputters. Then when you put the pedal down just a little it jerks as it searches for the right gear.

My 2009 RAM is a joy to drive with its 6 speed transmission. What a shame, that I find myself driving the 2009 more than the 2019.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you turn off the MDS? I have to switch into TOW mode every time I get in the truck or use the manual shift to limit the gear. Honestly, I am so frustrated with the 8 speed transmission in my 2019 Limited 5.7 Hemi. It is such a chore to drive and it is always 2 or 3 gears higher than it should be. I'm literally driving 25 miles an hour down a side street and the damn tranny is in 7th gear! It lugs and lags and sputters. Then when you put the pedal down just a little it jerks as it searches for the right gear.

My 2009 RAM is a joy to drive with its 6 speed transmission. What a shame, that I find myself driving the 2009 more than the 2019.

How many miles are on it? I'm on my second 8 speed and haven't had issues like that, one I had a performance tune on and it did the opposite (held lower gears much longer before shifting up a gear, like going down a hill screaming in 3rd rather than coasting in 5th or 6th, but again that was with a performance tune). My second one I have now is all stock and hasn't been touched, and it locates gears well for what I'm doing. Granted those were on 4th gen trucks (13/17), but I haven't heard of many people having issues with the 8 speeds in the 5th gens, other than sometimes they haven't "learned" the owners driving style yet and under those circumstances can be less than ideal.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seldom have it engaged but when it is I haven't noticed any bogging at all. It's actually impressive.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
View attachment 146346 The posting at the top of this forum indicating Dissappointment is absurd.

Once again I am reminded why social media sucks.

When it comes down to it, People are nothing more than soft, pleasure seekers without any discipline. Once again this discussion was started by one of those, who apparently was not hugged enough or they have some agenda to sway opinion away from Ram. Thanks Ford and Chevy, etc. Either way it sickens me.

How about you start being Thankful for the ability to get a 2019 Ram? Your disappointment sickens me.

By the way, to the person who is so disappointed in his 2019 Ram at the top of this discussion, I love my 2018 Ram and I am thankful I’ve lived long enough to have one. If I live long enough, I’ll get another.

Semper Fi.

This just made my day.. Hilarious!..

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
contrary to what some posters are saying, my laramie is a blast to drive. compared to the '17 gmc sierra 4x4 ccsb SLT I had before , it is sports car like. not as quiet but handles great and is very responsive. yes, putting down a neighborhood street I can tell when it is in eco mode but never noticeable on the highway and the 8 speed tranny is much better than the 6 spd. on the gmc and light years ahead of the one on my 4x4 avalanche.

Stack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles are on it? I'm on my second 8 speed and haven't had issues like that, one I had a performance tune on and it did the opposite (held lower gears much longer before shifting up a gear, like going down a hill screaming in 3rd rather than coasting in 5th or 6th, but again that was with a performance tune). My second one I have now is all stock and hasn't been touched, and it locates gears well for what I'm doing. Granted those were on 4th gen trucks (13/17), but I haven't heard of many people having issues with the 8 speeds in the 5th gens, other than sometimes they haven't "learned" the owners driving style yet and under those circumstances can be less than ideal.

I have 17,000 miles on it now. I bought it in late April 2018. The dealer just did a "software" transmission update and the shift points are marginally better for me...it rides in 5th gear now at 25-30 Mph instead of 7th. I can live with it now. The only other problem is to fix the downshift issue where it clunks into 2nd or 1st gear and also the lag issue where it will not shift into 1st gear for 2 seconds or so after I come to a complete stop.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 17,000 miles on it now. I bought it in late April 2018. The dealer just did a "software" transmission update and the shift points are marginally better for me...it rides in 5th gear now at 25-30 Mph instead of 7th. I can live with it now. The only other problem is to fix the downshift issue where it clunks into 2nd or 1st gear and also the lag issue where it will not shift into 1st gear for 2 seconds or so after I come to a complete stop.

Sorry to hear it was/is having so many issues, it is definitely not how it should be. Hopefully you can get it all resolved, it's a pretty good transmission when it's working properly.