disc brakes, semi- metalic vs ceramic pads !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
09 1500 4x4
Engine
4.7 lit.
my truck has 100,000 mi. on it. Time to replace pads. Looking for input on whichis better semi- metalic or ceramic ?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On an 09, stay with OEM, ceramic well, U gotta have real good rotors and heat sink them in. But this is IMHO only.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Usually the higher quality ceramics you don’t have to worry about having cold braking issues like people talk about. Put ceramics on my wife’s car and they’re great. Middle of the road set from advance auto parts. Ran EBT ceramics on my last vehicle too with great results hot or cold and even wet. I usually go back with oem if they were good though and I like my brakes on my ram so far with 40,000 miles on them and I’m lifted with 35s. The cheap ceramics some of them have cold braking issues until they warm up.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Two popular on the board, power stop or wagner oex. I love my wagner oex which I believe is ceramic, grabs great despite what they say about ceramic and zero dusting, as in goose egg. They are slotted pads as well, dissipates heat, maybe that is why they grab so good. Wagner oex...

best.png

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Semi-metallic - yuck.

Ceramic is the best, all-around performing pads you can buy for any truck or car. I remember as a younger man making the decision to go with semi-metallic on one of my first cars - wow. It was a disaster. They sounded like metal grinding as if I let the pads wear down to the bare metal.

@indept is spot on as well. I generally purchase new rotors vs. turning them but you can get good performance with a turn vs. new. But, if you don’t have a Pugh meat left, you will need to replace them regardless.

Last, make sure they are slotted. If not, the dust will build up and sound like metal on metal, squeal etc. Try not to go on the cheap with your brakes. It can mean the difference of an accident or not. Good luck.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've seen some say to go with OEM. I'm actually happy with my original brakes. I have 40 k miles and no vibration, noise, and no dust either. And they still have half the pad left.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If a guy were to go with youtube test results derived from a manufacturer's computerized brake pad test machine (pads tested the exact same way), the results show OEM pads beat aftermarket in stopping and longevity. OEM pads are pretty expensive actually. But maybe ya get what ya pay for (??). There are some aftermarket pads which were pretty close too.

My early ceramic pad experience (many yrs ago) was terrible. But I guess they've gotten a lot better. I put Ceramics on vehicles which came with them, and semi-metallic pads on vehicles designed or them (classics mostly). Problem with pads is there are so many options out there. That's what I like about those brake tests (do a search)

Hellcatsrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As said....the older ceramics were terrible. I just put powerstop full ceramic on my 15 Ram last year with new rotors. Wow....the pedal turned to rock hard. I love it. I have had no problems and have zero dust. However, I have not pulled a heavy trailer since putting them on to judge them.
I also put the same pads on my 21 Hellcat the day it came home from the dealer because the factory brembo pads make so much dust. They are fine and many owners are doing it, but after about 3 hard stops from 120+ range they start feeling a little bit squirrely compared to the OEM Brembo pads.

uncledon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I installed these. [Front + Rear] Max Brakes Elite XDS Rotors with Carbon Ceramic Pads KT031783 https://a.co/d/bbOONdq

Could not be happier. I've had them on now for 3 months. Super smooth, it takes no effect at all to apply the brakes. And the drilled and slotted rooters look awesome!