Discreet protection from deer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have deer whistles on my Harley. Does anyone have hope/faith on something like that.??
Lots of deer in north jersey, at one time everyone had deer whistles on there bikes and autos. I asked a bobdyvshop guy if they worked, he told every car he works on from deer strikes have had deer whistles.

Last edited:

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If they can't hear me coming over the sound of my Harley( or my truck for that matter) they won't hear the whistles either.
I did put them on my wife's Grand Cherokee though. I figure for $6 what's the harm if there's even a chance it helps.

4Fingers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L Ecodiesel
This is what I use. Cheaper than a full-frontal collision with a deer. Might still ge some damage but it sure helps.luverne-311033-321332.jpg

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
You could always do like a lady I knew years back and just blow your horn every 10 seconds or so. She actually drove with the horn blaring the entire time she was driving after dark. She still hit deer though. Maybe we should all learn to quit driving in those areas of deer crossing signs, don't they have the right of way in those areas?? :oops::rolleyes:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I haven't had it off to see if it's possible, but has anyone ever tried to strengthen the original bumper? Can you add reinforcing from behind? That way I could add a simple grill guard similar to what the police use.

Push bumpers are just that, a way to gently push something off the road. PIT bumpers are more robust, but still not built for ramming anything. Trucks are just harder to protect. Sitting up higher means you hit the deer in the body instead of taking it's legs out from under it and the brick shape of the front end means it absorbs the crash instead of throwing the deer.

A grill guard may be helpful in a very low speed strike, or a clip, but I think you'd need a for real armored bumper for damage free deer strikes at speed.

Also keep in mind airbag compatability.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Your space limit of 6 inches may be an issue on anything that protects the front end. I had a Westin HDX on my previous 1500 but went with a RanchHand on my current 1500. Anything that provides some protection from deer will need to be sturdy and cover as much of the front as possible. I didn't go with a full bumper/guard combo as I thought it just wouldn't look right on my truck; prefer them on 2500's.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
deer whistles don't work. Also, you would need a bumper guard as big as the semi's use to totally protect your truck.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about a Setina push bar like the law enforcement vehicles have?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Honestly, the truck is doing it's job by absorbing the impact of the deer. For the record I would be so annoyed if it happened to me, and once did but I was lucky, not too much damage. If you put things attached to the bumper, frame, etc. you change the design if the vehicle and all that force will now behave in unexpected ways. You could end up damaging your frame or safety features that gets you in a worse way down the road. And quoting previously stated item, the odds are in your favor that it won't happen.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Push bumpers are just that, a way to gently push something off the road. PIT bumpers are more robust, but still not built for ramming anything. Trucks are just harder to protect. Sitting up higher means you hit the deer in the body instead of taking it's legs out from under it and the brick shape of the front end means it absorbs the crash instead of throwing the deer.

A grill guard may be helpful in a very low speed strike, or a clip, but I think you'd need a for real armored bumper for damage free deer strikes at speed.

Also keep in mind airbag compatability.
But in lower vehicles the animal is often lifted and launched into the windshield or over the top of the vehicle.

Timmerduder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hit three deer since moving to the woods almost 20 years ago.. I installed two deer whistles 8 years ago and have not hit anything since. I've heard pros and cons but for me it works!

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
We can't drive around dusk here in NE Texas without a 50-50 chance of hitting a deer. After hitting a couple at low speed this year I broke down and bought a Ranch Hand. It weighs 125 pounds. It adds about 8 inches to the front of the already long truck but we feel safer if we have to drive in the dark. I was doing 35 in a 65 zone when I hit the last one. I have hit several over the years and I am always driving under the speed limit. Once near Ft Davis I was driving a Riviera about 15 mph when a doe suicided on the right headlight. I've had them run into the passenger side door. You just do what you can do.

BuggyMasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got one last weekend. Actually got it dead center. (No pun intended) Took out the front bumper and the little grill that sits in the center of the bumper. I was doing about 40 and was already on the brakes because I saw another jump out a few seconds beforehand. Still managed to take out that bumper!

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Following.

I've been looking for the same thing for my truck. A couple years ago a deer ran out in front of me from the side of the road. Thankfully I saw it coming out of the woods and slammed my brakes on and just barely nudged it. It got up and ran to the other side of the road. 0 damage on the front of my truck but it got me thinking about getting some front end protection.

Like you I don't want anything bulky or in your face but I haven't been able to find anything that fits what I'm looking for....
Around here, it could be a dear or elk. A very robust bumper like a ranch hand legend series, that covers the whole front works for low end hits, but worthless when ya hit one jumping. It will either sit down on the front seat or go farther back while slapping the heck out of ya.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure I believe deer whistles work either. But, my dad hit 2 deer by his house in his small Saturn. Put them on and didn't hit a deer ever again.