DIY: 2013-2014 8.4 Radio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here is a write up for my latest mod, an upgrade of the 5.0 uConnect radio to an 8.4 RA3 uConnect Radio. I will include photos where appropriate. Please ask any questions in the thread.

The 8.4 uses external knobs on the factory 8.4 bezel to control the volume and tuning/menu. If you don't have factory Steering Wheel Audio Controls I recommend doing the upgrade to install them to your truck first.

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_2013-2014_oem_steering_wheel_audio_control_install-54449/

You might need to get an anti-theft code from the parts department at your local dealership. It will depend on where you source your 8.4 head unit. The man at my dealership needed the serial number from the radio and my VIN in order to get me code. It took him all of 2 minutes to get and he didn't charge me for it.

Part needed:
uConnect 8.4 radio

Tools needed:
T20 Torx screwdriver
7mm socket or wrench
10mm socket or wrench

Step 1
Disconnect the negative terminal of your battery using your 10mm socket.

Step 2
Remove the liner of the tray on the top of your center dash panel.
BezelTray_zpsa1124769.jpg

Step 3
Use the T20 to remove the two screws holding the dash panel to the dash.
BezelScrews_zpsefd84d41.jpg

Step 4
Pull the dash panel straight out from the dash. There are a bunch of clips holding it on but if you pull straight out it will come off with a couple tugs.

Step 5
Remove the 4 screws holding the radio to the supports using the 7mm socket. They are circled in red in the photo.
RadioScrews_zps8988a201.jpg

Step 6
Pull the radio straight out to get to the wiring for it. Disconnect the wiring.
There is a ZIF clip (circled in red) for the main wiring harness and the others are all typical squeeze and pull connectors. The ZIF requires that you lift the lever to remove the harness.
50Wires_zpsc0945e6a.jpg

Step 7
Flip the main harness 180 degrees and hook it back up and then push on all the other connectors. They are color coded and should be easy.

Step 8
Screw the new head unit to the supports using the screws removed in step 5 and your 7mm socket.

Step 9
Push the dash panel back onto the dashboard. It will be a tight fit but it will go on and you can feel the clips catch.

Step 10
Reattach the screws you removed in step 3 using the T20 screwdriver.

Step 11
Reconnect the negative terminal using your 10mm socket.

Step 12
Enter the anti-theft code you got from your dealership.
Anti-Thetf_zpsb38e27a1.jpg

Step 13
Enjoy your new radio.
84w50Bezel_zps862e108a.jpg
PhonePaired_zpseb3e9f31.jpg
BackupCamera_zps976780eb.jpg

Moderator Note: All information on the 8.4 radio upgrade parts, codes and installation can be found here:

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_-_oem_5_0_radio_8_4_radio_upgrade-66196/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Reserved for optional 8.4 bezel addendum.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure but if you look at the main connector and the other connections and they match up with the ones on the 5.0 that I posted you should be okay.
You probably wont have all the connections because your 3.0 wont have any connections for satellite antenna or the microphone for Bluetooth connection. You'd have to add the correct rear mirror and wire it in to get that capability on your 8.4 And you'd need to add the satellite antenna for that as well.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this essentially enables to you gain all the functionality of the 8.4 in plug and play format?

Did you purchase your radio new from the dealer or on eBay?

Awesome writeup, thanks for sharing.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Good stuff! Quick question... is it just the screen u swap? I've seen the screen for like $650. But it looks like u pulled out the amp for the back of the radio in the pic... is the whole 8.4 unit required?

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So this essentially enables to you gain all the functionality of the 8.4 in plug and play format?

Did you purchase your radio new from the dealer or on eBay?

Awesome writeup, thanks for sharing.

Not quite all the functionality, I can't control the AC. I don't have an SD card slot.
I have to use the steering wheel controls for the volume.

I bought the radio from a salvage yard. I found it on car-part.com a few days ago.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good stuff! Quick question... is it just the screen u swap? I've seen the screen for like $650. But it looks like u pulled out the amp for the back of the radio in the pic... is the whole 8.4 unit required?

I swapped the whole unit with another unit.
The 5.0 radio is shaped like a screen attached to the front of a single DIN unit.
The 8.4 is more like a screen with an amp grafted onto the back of it. My truck is a base model without an amp besides the one in the head unit.

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You plannin on wiring it up for the 8.4" bezel?

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You plannin on wiring it up for the 8.4" bezel?

I will give it a shot once it arrives.
I haven't seen how the knobs are wired or anything on the back of one of the 8.4 bezels. Mine should be here soon so I can take a look at what I'm up against.
I'm worried the most about controlling the AC/Heater. There is no way I'm going to use the bezel if I can't use those controls.

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotcha, well keep us updated. Hopefully it's as simple as buying and additional harness or something

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Gotcha, well keep us updated. Hopefully it's as simple as buying and additional harness or something
It's not as simple as I'd hoped.
I did some more research and I've found that it is a new radio wiring harness with the connectors for the bezel's knobs and buttons.
And it also a different wiring harness for the climate controls and a modification to the climate systems plumbing to add an extra blend door and motor that the automatic climate control has and also I'd need to add temperature sensors and other ancillary items.
I'm not going to all that trouble and expense when I can just use my Steering Wheel Audio Controls for the radio and the manual climate control I already have by using the original bezel instead.

scnautique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 ST 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bummer! That's unfortunate, I had my hopes up lol. Still an awesome mod if you don't mind using the steering wheel volume controls

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any one try this with a 3.0 radio yet? So if I don't have steering wheel audio controls I won't be able to change the volume or station?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any one try this with a 3.0 radio yet? So if I don't have steering wheel audio controls I won't be able to change the volume or station?
You can change the station by typing in the numbers on the screen. You cant change the volume without the controls on the steering wheel.

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm but I would be able to with a 5.0 right? Any one want to sell me a 5.0? Lol

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 5.0 has all the controls built right into the unit and it fits your dash opening i believe.

Last edited:

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just plugged in the 8.4AN/RA4 with the NAV. into my truck. I am coming from a Uconnect 3.0. Everything works perfect minus the the heat controls on screen. As confirmed you need the steering wheel controls to adjust the volume and you need to get a mic for the bluetooth to work since the 3.0's didn't come with it. I can hear them they can't hear me. But I'm working on that. If you can get one cheap (i paid 160 for mine) it is well worth the upgrade IMO.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
can anyone confirm which is the xm satellite/ nav antenna. When I try to use xm it says "check antenna see dealer for maintenance" and when I try to activate the uconnect ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415924673.963020.jpg so what's going wrong here ? My xm antenna works fine on my 5.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk