DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Message sent

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put in an 8.4 and steering wheel with radio controls and kept the 5.0 bezel a while back. I just recently picked up an 8.4 manual temp control bezel on FB marketplace, got a good deal on a module from 18Harvest and got the conversion harness from Mpgrimm2 and completed the conversion. Great harness and support. Everything works great and I now have volume and tuning controls in the dash again!

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
PSA for everyone considering the 8.4 upgrade based on requests I have had lately...

DO NOT SWAP COMPLETE DASH HARNESSES BETWEEN TRUCKS FOR AN 8.4/HVAC or AUDIO CONVERSION !!!

Just because the plugs match up, you will find that signals are often moved to different pins of the connectors between different years, models (1500 vs 2500) and trims. It's an exercise in futility to try and trace every signal at every connector/terminal between the different trucks schematics to untangle what needs to happen.

If you have done this and have issues (most likely will), my suggestion, put the truck back to stock (you can swap over the dash cover) and start over with correct "conversion/add-on" harnesses etc.

(I'm not saying it can't be done, but the amount of work to do it correctly is extensive to say the least & not something I can spend the time to untangle)

Houndy95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mpgrimm2 hooked me up with a like new UAS 8.4 and a very good condition Dual Zone bezel. As well as the harnesses and modules for the 4 to 7 speed conversion. With everything being plug and play, it was a super easy and painless install. Really straightforward and came out perfect. Great communication and helped with all my questions. Thanks again for everything!

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

mattram83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Ok so i want to make sure that i will have everything i need.

I currently have a 2014 Ram SLT 3.6 with the tiny 5inch screen and single zone manual climate controls.

I have purchase a 8.4" bezel with single zone climate controls from a scrapper here for only 30$ (yes a steal of a price)

I'm planning to add a 68331635AH UAS 8.4" radio.

Other than that i think this is all i will need:

68283703AA 2017 Chrysler 200 - dual USB with AUX inputs
MEDIA HUB CONVERSION HARNESS from @[B][B]Mpgrimm2[/B][/B]

I don't think i will need to make any changes to the HVAC as i already have a 7 speed fan model (pretty sure) but please correct me if im wrong

I also read a comment that states that i would loose my uconnect? is that correct ? if so why would i loose uconnect ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You will need the 8.4 conversion harness, correct HVAC module, hub adapter harness and a few other things. Message me for details/get things started before I close up for the holidays.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I thought the 13&14 units couldn't support more than 1 camera, am I wrong about that?
All the 2013-17 Harmon 8.4 radios have the hardware/pinouts for 3 video inputs and aux/CdPlayer Audio inputs. See my notes here.

Stellantis/Ram decided to allow only one input on the 13-15 Ram 8.4s when SW update 17.x came out. Which messed up some folks with BuCam and Cargo Cam on the 13-15 trucks/radios.

I had the Original Customtronix Jailbreaker working on a 14 Ra4 several years ago ... See here and video in action. I liked it a lot. You can also do the same thing with their Enzo/Enigma modules on the newer 4c radios. (I'd rather see a SW solution if the inputs are actually there vs have an extra camera interface module added switching video in on the 1 BuCam input ... But it just comes down to preference)

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All the 2013-17 Harmon 8.4 radios have the hardware/pinouts for 3 video inputs and aux/CdPlayer Audio inputs. See my notes here.

Stellantis/Ram decided to allow only one input on the 13-15 Ram 8.4s when SW update 17.x came out. Which messed up some folks with BuCam and Cargo Cam on the 13-15 trucks/radios.

I had the Original Customtronix Jailbreaker working on a 14 Ra4 several years ago ... See here and video in action. I liked it a lot. You can also do the same thing with their Enzo/Enigma modules on the newer 4c radios. (I'd rather see a SW solution if the inputs are actually there vs have an extra camera interface module added switching video in on the 1 BuCam input ... But it just comes down to preference)
Ok cool, thank you!!

rideorange

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my ATC Conversion harness kit complete with Bezel from Mpgrimm2 at M2 Mods, (Mike G) and couldn't be happier with the quality of the workmanship and the detailed instructions provided. Even the shipping was prompt and the packaging was professional and neat.

The 5" to 8.4" Radio upgrade was pretty simple to install and the parts and wiring was intuitive once I thoroughly reviewed the instructions.

Where you really get the value from Mike is with the customer service. If you run into any issues related to the parts or the installation procedure, he will be relentless in helping you to resolve. The TIMING and ORDER matter when it comes to the single zone MTC to ATC conversion. You have to pay attention when using the alpha obd tool.

While completing my upgrade I had a particularly annoying issue with the UAQ not recognizing my 2015 Ram (I will be installing radio #3 soon) but Mike has been available and ready to help me, and that's impressive. I also owe a big thanks to other contributions by members of this forum.

Here are some photos of my before and after, and I expect all my issues to be resolved once I swap out the current Jeep Gladiator UAQ for the correct current MY18 Ram 683 part number.

Thanks again Mike,

Attachments

• 20231223_083232.jpg
    20231223_083232.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231223_160417.jpg
    20231223_160417.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 8

Style61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Mpgrimm2 I need the parts needed to make my Ram 8.4 dual zone and auto temp work. Only one side works. Do you have the parts?

Style61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
... And any word from the folks you bought the harness from? (I have dealt with them before, and I won't again)

Is this a 2019 4th gen classic 5 lug truck or newer 5th Gen with 6 lug
Yes this is a 4t gen classic with 5 lug truck. I called them but they were not willing to help with any info. I would like to enable the auto and duel temp control on my Uconnect.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I hope you can help. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 classic Tradesman that came with the 5" blue tooth radio and I installed a RA4 #68270661AF with Nav. I also installed a harness from CarplayNav with control module P68105017AE
My original 7 speed fan now only goes up to 6 but some times goes up to 7 with no difference between 6 and 7 speed. Im also getting the 911 error even though I installed the 911 service disabler, Also my bezel is a dual zone with auto and I would like to enable the auto function.

Yes, I spoke to them but they were not much help. Yes its a 2019 4th Gen 5 lug

Yes this is a 4t gen classic with 5 lug truck. I called them but they were not willing to help with any info. I would like to enable the auto and duel temp control on my Uconnect.

CarPlayNav.com/Parts Panel Automotive are awful to deal with and this is a perfect example of why they don't understand what they are selling and why I won't deal with them anymore.

@Style61 , I'll message you some info to get started, but if you want Auto Temp Climate to work, you're probably going to have to replace some of their stuff. (They sold you wrong things)

Or you can use the quote form on my website... www.M2Mods4Ram.com

Last edited:

Sisco1315

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017/2019
Engine
3.6/5.7
A HUGE Thank you and Shout Out to Mpgrimm2 for helping me set up the 8.4 update on my wife's 2017 Express. The quality of the harness was by far better than any factory wiring iv seen, and he was able to walk me through every step and make it as plug-and-play painless as possible. If you want or need to upgrade then please check out www.M2Mods4Ram.com Shipping was fast and very well packaged. 10/10

SithVader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the way to go Mpgrimm2 knows what's up helped me out with what I needed and had me up and going in no time you are the man brother thanks

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
good day all I am need of a little help. I have everything installed the radio 8.4 bezel harness and module.
The harness came from 4wheelElectronics ... it has a blue wire with black connector can not find where to install it and they are no help so far.

does anyone know where it goes or if I have correct harness. the problem I have now is the 7th speed does not work on blower motor but worked on original head unit AC controls and the AC does not go to full cold it blows warm air again it worked with original head unit AC controls.

With the 8.4 radio and original AC controls everything worked but when I put the module harness and bezel with controls I have that problem. I have measured data from head unit and all commands are seen I have no codes Witech sees no problem. yes I am a Tech with Chrysler. what am I missing?
thanks to all for any help
Sith

This is the way to go Mpgrimm2 knows what's up helped me out with what I needed and had me up and going in no time you are the man brother thanks
All I can say is M2MODS is the one stop shop for this. Wish I found him first and saved the headache for other stuff.

It's a shame to see folks still having issues/support problems with 4wE & others on these 4th Gen 8.4 upgrades after all this time.

Glad I could help you get everything squared away with the correct parts & working harnesses!

Last edited:

johhnboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 HD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mike at M2Mods is THE MAN! if there is anyone out there thinking of doing this upgrade DO NOT use anyone's harness except for Mike's! its is absolutely plug and play, simple to do and very good quality. Mike was awesome answering my questions and gave me a lot of good tips and suggestions before I started anything. Cannot thank him enough. I can't stomach the price of a new truck so being able to do upgrades like this with help from folks like Mike make me very happy to keep my old girl going! Thanks again Mike

rrusch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I completed my 8.4 conversion today using Mpgrimm2 harness and Bezel. I suggest speaking with hime before purchasing anything. He is very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to explain everything to you. He even directed me to the best deal on the 8.4 radio. As others have said all plug and play and great customer service!!!
Thanks for your help.