- Mar 30, 2014
- Reaction score
- Ram Year
- 2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.
Yes I can build an add-on harness set or I'd recommend you plan on replacing it with my 8.4 conversion setup with ATC. It's about $30 more to go with the full conversion harness atc setup vs universal add-on setSo I just finished installing a UAQ and 7” cluster with 4thgenmods harness and added the HVAC module. I have the 7 speed fan.
Do you offer an add on harness so I could add the temp and humidity sensor to get ATC or would I have to completely replace the harness I just installed?
Just wanted to give a huge thank you to the guys who helped get my 8.4 conversion working! Everything went smoothly and everything made sense. I highly recommend this product if you plan on updating to the 8.4 radio. Wire harnesses were very high quality along with the modules i was sent. I will be purchasing the seat harness from these guys as well. 10/10Converting a 2013+ (thru 2016) RA1/RA2 MTC bezel
with 4 speed blower
to a RA3/RA4 MTC bezel and Radio.
** POST 17 : Important note/Caution about using cheap cloned blower resistors **
It’s been quite a journey developing this harness along with Getupkid, Duneflyer, Mondo myself and several others. We now have a complete DIY solution for upgrading to the RA4 or RA3 from the RA1 and RA2 radios. The basic Radio is PNP now that we can use the 8.4 bezel and HVAC controls.
There are currently two factory setups for the hvac blower: the 7 speed and the 4 speed.
This is how I understand how the trucks were built, if they were equipped with the RA1 or RA2 radios.
2013 1500's have the 4 speed blower setup. (Fixed Displacement Compressor)
2013-2018 2500/3500's have the 4 speed blower set up. (Fixed Displacement Compressor)
2014-2018 1500's have the 7 speed blower set up (Var. Displacement Compressor)
The conversion for the 7 speed factory fan set up while similar is different and involves not only a different HVAC module but the pinouts for the conversion harness are also slightly different, see Post 2.
Parts Required For MOD:
01. 8.4 Uconnect Radio (VP3/RA3 - Non-Nav) or (VP4/RA4 - Nav)
** For Compatible RA4 Radios see here. **Check car-part.com, Schram, ebay, etc.
02. SINGLE ZONE OEM 8.4" (MTC) BEZEL: 1UJ96DX9AF (AC, AD, AE, etc)
** Optional: DUAL ZONE 8.4" (ATC) BEZEL, while not preferred, will work. See POST 15
03. Base to 8.4 Radio Conversion Harness (4 speed Fan specific):
. . See below to make your own in standard or extended length
. . (or get an extended one from: M² Mods )
04. HVAC CONTROL MODULE: 68105017Ax (AA, AB, etc) (4 to 7 speed Fan specific)
. . ** If you use the wrong module (ie xxxx8186Ax = no A/C, or xxxx8187Ax = No A/C & 6 vs 7 fan speeds)
< 10/4/19 edit > 2018 2500/3500's w/UAx = 68366553AA HVAC module. See post 89.
** UAx Radio Upgrade has very high likelyhood of HVAC Blend door issues that are fixed by adding the ATC wiring mod with conversion. See links in UAQ/UAS Upgrade thread. **
05. Fan Motor Power/Resistor Harness: 68048906AA (Req's Modification)
. . (or see DeereGuy's write-up of 00R/T's notes to make your own at roll-up posts 1765-1766 or get the plug-n-play version at M² Mods ... watch out for poorly made ones elsewhere)
06. 7spd Blower Resistor: 68048901AA (same as Denso PN 499300-2121) See ebay ad and Post 51 )
07. 911 Error Fix/Cell Bypass Plug: (or SharkFin Antenna mod)
. . See note 1 (below) to make your own or get one from M² Mods.
View attachment 417864
Mpg2's Instruction Sheet References:
- 2013-2017 8.4 Conv for 4 Speed Fan Trucks 7-6-17.pdf v1 <----- RECOMMENDED READING
- 2013-2016 Ram Radio Removal 6-27-16.pdf
- 2013-2016 Ram RearView Mirror (w/mics) Upgrade & Harness install 7-8-16.pdf
- PLEASE SEE POST 2
You can omit the Antenna body cable, Antenna jumper cable, and shark fin antenna if you get the Bypass Plug from M² Mods
Or you can make your own using the following parts (search ebay and amazon for these)
Farka D connector/Pigtail with 2 to 6 inch lead
10k Ohm Resistor with 5% tolerance, 1/2 watt.
Just solder one end of the resistor to the center wire and the other end to the wire shielding. Tape it up with electrical tape or heat shrink it.
Connectors & Pins to Make Conversion Harness
08. 24 Pin Connector 1: 1318917-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser
09. 24 Pin Connector 1 - (F) Sockets: 1123343-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
10. 24 Pin Connector 2: 1376103-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser
11. 24 Pin Connector 2 - (M) Pins: 1376109-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
12. 08 Pin Female - Connector: 30700-1081 Molex | Mouser
13. 08 Pin Female - (F) Sockets: 1393366-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser
- 8 Pin Center Stack HVAC Conn 0307001081 AS-30700-000 Series Instruction Sheet.pdf
- 24 Pin HVAC TEconn 025series Instruction Sheet 411-5928_G4.pdf
- Cptwing's harness making notes at Post 9
- Mpgrimm2 Harness Soldering Notes at Post 13
14. Wire 22 gauge 50.0 inches long QTY of 20
15. Wire 22 gauge 18.0 inches long QTY of 5
16. Electrical tape one roll should be enough
17. Wire ties
18. Heat Shrink
19. Solder/Soldering Iron
20. Split Wire loom or Nylon Braided Sleeving
Along with this you will need the following:
21. Wire strippers..
22. Crimpers double roll type recommend ratchet type
.... See post 12 for some notes on possible crimpers.
23. Heat gun
24. Small awl or similar tool to de pin connector
Here is a shot of everything needed except that some tools are not shown.
dscn0418 - 4spd parts layout.jpg
View attachment 417865
The diagram shown below details the conversion harness and pinouts of the various connectors, what is not shown and will be addressed later is how part 1 above ties into it, at pin 17 on the module side.
CptWing RA4 Conversion Harness layout - 4spd w/Mpg2 Edits 4-16-17.jpg
And after a bit of work and eye strain your harness should look something like this...
dscn0425 - Complete Extended 4spd Conversion harness.jpg
View attachment 417866