DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So as usual I went against the grain (for now) I like having the camera in my rear view. So I went with a Brandmotion 5000 microphone rather than switching out my rear view mirror for now. That said if it doesn’t work out , or I don’t like it I’ll let everyone know and actually contribute to this thread.

M2 Mods Mpgrimm2 has been awesome answering all my questions all be it on a Sunday and Mother’s Day at that.

I ordered a gps/xm antenna combo from Infotainment. They had the only kit I could find that can be mounted inside the truck and I won’t have to cut holes in my roof and add a shark fin. I will be totally honest of how that works out as well.

I should have everything in a few weeks and I will post my results.

Be safe Gents, Rye.
Looking forward to your feedback sir! Especially on the microphone ,I've heard of a couple guys using it just haven't heard the feedback .
If you really like the brandmotion microphone and the backup cam in the mirror you can still splice in the M2mods backup cam reroute harness to the radio and the backup cam will display in both the 8.4" radio screen and the rearview mirror at the same time [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360] from my understanding this has been done by at least two people here , maybe someone that has done this will chime in [emoji1360][emoji1360].

Hope this helps [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I have it spliced now and it works in my rear view and my 5.0 radio screen. It’s odd but I look at both, I don’t want to loose a camera to gain a microphone. I’d rather just gain a microphone.

Also I have heard a rumor with 2 cameras one tailgate one 3rd brake light you may be able to look at both ( one in each screen), one tail gate one Third brake light.
This is totally unconfirmed, I may have imagined it.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Ok so I installed the Brandmotion last night, super easy.

Pull the right a pillar (passenger side), 2 10mm bolts.
Pop the cover on the side of the glovebox.
The wiring harness and connector are siting right inside held on with an alignment tab and a Christmas tree style push pin.
Get to the harness. I unplugged the connector and worked on the bottom section. I have my back up camera tied into the top so there was no room.

Brandmotion has 3 wires on one side of the control box and 5 coming out. The 3 wires plug into the microphone, the 5 on the other end are what you use to tap into the truck. Of the 5 you only need 4 for our application.

Let’s go Microphone side. Truck side

Blue- Power/ red
Yellow- Dark green wire Light blue stripe
Black- Light blue wire Dark green stripe
Black- Black

Last edited:

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Ok couple notes.

My power wire was not red, I’m not good with color but it was a Burgundy color wire with a light red or possibly pink stripe.

Good news with a test light it’s easy to check the pins and make sure it’s power.

Next the black wires from the microphone are interchangeable, so it’s not super critical which goes where.

It honestly took me 10 min. There is plenty of wire in the harness to run it anywhere on the windshield.

I only had time to call my wife, she was uninterested. Just said you sound fine, lol.

I’ll do more testing today and see how the sound quality is. As far as install it’s so easy a Caveman could do it.

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
4DA855CF-2D62-43AE-9F42-A0D413339ACA.jpeg

Full disclosure this is my temporary set up till I know I’m happy. You can see the top is where I tied in my camera. Same type deal I used T’s until I was happy then I pulled them, soldered connections and electrical taped it.

Bottom with the taps is my temporary set up for the Brandmotion. Now you can kind of see what I’m talking about.

Also I don’t not take credit for this, I found an old thread here by member @TMyers that had the instructions. So thank you sir.

Last edited:

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Got my 8.4 installed this weekend. The harness from M2, customer service, instructions and delivery time were all exceptional. I will be ordering more products from them, they are very easy to work with and build great components at a more than fair price point.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my 8.4 installed this weekend. The harness from M2, customer service, instructions and delivery time were all exceptional. I will be ordering more products from them, they are very easy to work with and build great components at a more than fair price point.
Very true [emoji1303][emoji1303]

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
No worries, I know it’s well worth the short wait.

robjohns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So $263 to unlock it for my 17 1500 correct?
That's what it looks like for the unlock AND latest map update.

I am in no way affiliated with them just sharing the info as posted by other forum members that have used them and reported success.

M² Mods.

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
361F07EB-D520-430E-AAD7-B862B2F5CF66.jpeg

Didn’t like my wiring after seeing M2Mods quality so I ordered a camera harness for my 8.4 (my truck had it in the rear view stock).
Another great product, and even with my old eyes I can hit my trailer 1st shot, lol.

For the record I’m parking in this shot, not trying to hook my dump trailer. I’m not even that bad, haha.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just finished my upgrade from and RA2 to an RA3 with ATC in my 2016 2500 SLT. Parts and harnesses from M2 MODS made it a very painless install. Took about 2 hours from start to finish and it was a plug and play install. Mike's craftsmanship on the harnesses is superb. His service was unbelievable, 7 business days from the time I ordered until the kit was in my hands.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mpgrimm2 is a rockstar [emoji1303][emoji16]

Kannox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, I am a new member and being reading these excellent posts and could not wait trying myself on my 17 Ram 1500 V8 Trademan with RA2 & 7 speed manual.

I currently just finished 8.4 RA4 radio & rear-view cam upgrades accordingly to Mpgrimm2's superb instructions and other folks leads.

I am sharing this because I have some issues and need guidance here.

My radio (from Ebay):68258671AB(on Label yet shows -AH on info screen).
AC Module (from Ebay):68183973AC.
Single MTC bazel (from Ebay):1UJ96DX9AJ.
Harnesses: All done DYI following instructions from here.

What works:
* Radio turn on
* 10k ohm Fakra 911 Bypass works.
* AC / Heater works on touch but with issues.

What do not work:
* All Temp-Ctrl bezel buttons or knobs except hazard switch.
- Some how Pin 4(Switched B+ of 8 pin) read 0.34V & 1 ohm. All wire all have been checked with ohm meter 0 or 1 with continuity. Also pin numbers are checked numerous times.

Other abnormal symptoms unless they are normal this way?
* AC/Heater cannot be turned on as car starts. "ON" on left bottom of touch screen is disabled until the "Rear Defrost" indicator on top right corner of touch screen is done flashing which lasts for 2~3 min.
* Fan power is weak(LVL 1~7) - you feel blower is running at high. You can hear it is shifting as you switch but it is weak and air from the front vent (Front deforest vent) is(??)

What do I got to do in order to finish these right way?

Thanks All

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
None of the Bezel controls work? Not even volume?
(The hazard switch is a seperate circuit)

Not sure about your background, or how confident you are in the harness you built, but if you have any pins miswired , poorly crimped, not fully seated/backed out, or the pin has managed to cross-short to another in the connector (loose wire strand or cut through the cavity divider) it will cause all kinds of weird problems. In my experience, 1/2 the people that build their own end up buying one to replace it.

If you are 100% confident in your harness and it matches the 1500 7speed diagram in post 2, then you may have a bad HVAC module. (But you should have volume control on the Bezel still)

M² Mods.

Last edited: