DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

Discussion in 'M² Mods' started by Mpgrimm2, Jan 30, 2019.

1. R.L.K.

R.L.K. Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Looking forward to your feedback sir! Especially on the microphone ,I've heard of a couple guys using it just haven't heard the feedback .
    If you really like the brandmotion microphone and the backup cam in the mirror you can still splice in the M2mods backup cam reroute harness to the radio and the backup cam will display in both the 8.4" radio screen and the rearview mirror at the same time from my understanding this has been done by at least two people here , maybe someone that has done this will chime in .

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. RyeThomas

RyeThomas Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L
    I have it spliced now and it works in my rear view and my 5.0 radio screen. It’s odd but I look at both, I don’t want to loose a camera to gain a microphone. I’d rather just gain a microphone.

Also I have heard a rumor with 2 cameras one tailgate one 3rd brake light you may be able to look at both ( one in each screen), one tail gate one Third brake light.
    This is totally unconfirmed, I may have imagined it.

R.L.K. likes this.
  3. Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2 Senior Member Preferred Vendor Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Laramie Crew
    Engine:
    5.7L
  4. RyeThomas

RyeThomas Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L
    Ok so I installed the Brandmotion last night, super easy.

Pull the right a pillar (passenger side), 2 10mm bolts.
    Pop the cover on the side of the glovebox.
    The wiring harness and connector are siting right inside held on with an alignment tab and a Christmas tree style push pin.
    Get to the harness. I unplugged the connector and worked on the bottom section. I have my back up camera tied into the top so there was no room.

Brandmotion has 3 wires on one side of the control box and 5 coming out. The 3 wires plug into the microphone, the 5 on the other end are what you use to tap into the truck. Of the 5 you only need 4 for our application.

Let’s go Microphone side. Truck side

Blue- Power/ red
    Yellow- Dark green wire Light blue stripe
    Black- Light blue wire Dark green stripe
    Black- Black

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    R.L.K. likes this.
  5. RyeThomas

RyeThomas Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L
    Ok couple notes.

My power wire was not red, I’m not good with color but it was a Burgundy color wire with a light red or possibly pink stripe.

Good news with a test light it’s easy to check the pins and make sure it’s power.

Next the black wires from the microphone are interchangeable, so it’s not super critical which goes where.

It honestly took me 10 min. There is plenty of wire in the harness to run it anywhere on the windshield.

I only had time to call my wife, she was uninterested. Just said you sound fine, lol.

I’ll do more testing today and see how the sound quality is. As far as install it’s so easy a Caveman could do it.

R.L.K. likes this.
  6. RyeThomas

RyeThomas Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L
    4DA855CF-2D62-43AE-9F42-A0D413339ACA.jpeg

Full disclosure this is my temporary set up till I know I’m happy. You can see the top is where I tied in my camera. Same type deal I used T’s until I was happy then I pulled them, soldered connections and electrical taped it.

Bottom with the taps is my temporary set up for the Brandmotion. Now you can kind of see what I’m talking about.

Also I don’t not take credit for this, I found an old thread here by member @TMyers that had the instructions. So thank you sir.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Mpgrimm2 likes this.