DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Mpgrimm2 i have a 2015 2500 diesel , with the 8.4 uas radio and 7 speed single zone mtc . What do i need to get Auto on my current setup ?
Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Mpgrimm2 i have a 2015 2500 diesel , with the 8.4 uas radio and 7 speed single zone mtc . What do i need to get Auto on my current setup ?
Thanks
Part 1 cabin Temp sensor harness
Cabin Temp sensor
Program via AlfaOBD for dual ATC, wait, then single Zone ATC

M² Mods.

Mordechai

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely check the harness. It's very easy to get it pinned incorrectly and I have several small details I do during a build to help keep me from making a mistake. Getting the pins back it is tedious. If you're 100% confident in the harness... Then the module would be next.. especially if it was used.

M² Mods.
Got this sorted out finally. All the wires where slotted properly, but there may be an issue with the terminal for the recirc door, or the pin on the module.
After fidling with it a bit, and testing the pin with a voltmeter I was able to get all HVAC functions to work properly. Calibration test passed successfully.

Thank you mpgrimm2, for retaining and consolidating all the information. Your posts and links have been a great resource.

Total cost for me was relatively cheap
RA4 2015=150
Dual Zone Bezel=55
HVAC module 2014=45
Pins and such=4094873b2b193373e32dbd5d53fcddf3fa.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Part 1 cabin Temp sensor harness
Cabin Temp sensor
Program via AlfaOBD for dual ATC, wait, then single Zone ATC

M² Mods.

Got your cable thanks much , installed programmed to dual atc , right now I can’t change the up or down for hot or cold and no temp display on screen yet .
When you say set to auto atc then wait “ does this take a while like maybe over night “ ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got your cable thanks much , installed programmed to dual atc , right now I can’t change the up or down for hot or cold and no temp display on screen yet .
When you say set to auto atc then wait “ does this take a while like maybe over night “ ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will post in the ATC upgrade thread... HERE

PS: If you reply to original emails that have all the links, I usually see it sooner.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
To all...
(This is also in the OP)

2018 & 19 CLASSIC OWNERS !]

* It is NOT recommended to install a 13-17 RAx radio in a 2018 or 19 classic!

It 'can' be done but you 'CURRENTLY' can't get rid of Cellular System needs service error message at startup (unless using the recommended 2018/19 classic UAx radio, & you will need ATC w/UAx upgrades to avoid hvac blend door issues).

Ram 2019 Classic RA2 to RA4 Upgrade.

& How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Gibbs' HVAC Issues w/UAS upgrade (fixed with ATC mod).

M² Mods.

lilfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Just wanted to pass along a big thank you for provide such a detailed description of the 8.4 Uconnect upgrade.

I just completed my upgrade from a Uconnect 5.0 and could not be happier.

Thought I would share my experiences - I was originally looking for a radio in the local want ads but most of the ad posters did not have the donor VIN so I was concerned about getting an unlock code from the dealer so ended up getting my parts from a local auto wrecker for $750

• 8.4 Uconnect RA3, factory Trailer Brake switch and controller from 2017 Ram 3500
    • Dual Zone Auto A/C controller, HVCA control unit and wire connectors from 2018 Ram 1500 (in fact they supplied the entire center bezel and complete dash wire harness)

I was going to get all the components from the 3500 but found near the end of the forum that the 2500 and 3500 parts may not be compatible so the wrecker took the radio and trailer brake components from the 3500 but the rest came from the 2018 Ram 1500 that was almost all stripped out.

I made my own wire harness but on my first attempt I ended up with a few problems so after re-ordering the female connector, pins and a new crimper the second attempt was much better.

The only real problem I had was not being unable to find a local dealer who would get me the radio lock code - my own dealer included - so used one of the recommended vendors and paid to get an the unlock code.

One item I forgot to mention - the RA3 radio I received did not have a cellular connector so no 911 bypass cable was needed.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

IMG_3070.JPG IMG_3092.JPG

Last edited:

Robert Holroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mike, thanks for the incredible wiring harness! Quality fit and finish was impressive to say the least. Install went very smooth. I already had a bezel and radio and with Mike's harness and hvac module everything just worked. WOW. what an upgrade. A must for anyone that has a Bluetooth hands free 3 button radio from the factory.

Thanks again Mike!

Rob

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Do you all 16 and newer radios
Only have three Fakra connectors if they have support for dual cameras
I know where 16 radio is but it has the four Fakra but it’s out of a car so I’m wondering if it’s actually a 15 radio

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you all 16 and newer radios
Only have three Fakra connectors if they have support for dual cameras
I know where 16 radio is but it has the four Fakra but it’s out of a car so I’m wondering if it’s actually a 15 radio
I think its 17 up that only have 3 fakras. My 16 has 4. 16+ supports both cameras but its wired in at the main connector and not a fakra. The 5th gen radios have a digital input for the camera so those do use a fakra for the connection

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2016ram1500exp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I don't know how this site works exactly tried to send a direct message to you I have a RA4 out of 2016 rebel I got the bezel from it thinking it would work but after reading seems like an easier route to try and get the custom bezel with the single climate control and all harness is this something you offer if so how much would this be I see infotainment has it listed for about $600 just wondering if there's a cheaper route because I find that the $300 model with the volume control and stock climate control just doesn't look right. Thank you.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I don't know how this site works exactly tried to send a direct message to you I have a RA4 out of 2016 rebel I got the bezel from it thinking it would work but after reading seems like an easier route to try and get the custom bezel with the single climate control and all harness is this something you offer if so how much would this be I see infotainment has it listed for about $600 just wondering if there's a cheaper route because I find that the $300 model with the volume control and stock climate control just doesn't look right. Thank you.
Who were you trying to message? You just click on the name of the person and it will bring up their profile and you can direct message from there. That bezel from infotainment is their custom bezel and to my knowledge no one else makes or sells it. It saves you the hassle of finding all the other components needed for the conversion and allows you to use your existing hvac controls.
I've used them before and they do what they claim. Generally speaking it's a way easier installation and since the wiring harness alone for the conversion is a min of $150, it's not a bad deal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

spokanedj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Edit: Found the issues. two different sets of neighboring pins had intermittent contact which each other. Was able to remove the pins, clean up the wiring and push them back in to resolve the issue. I probably should have just like Mike make the harness!

With the help of @Mpgrimm2 I was able to upgrade from a RA1 to an RA2 then finally to an RA4 I picked up on Ebay. I built the wiring harness and found the bezel and module at my local junkyard. Put everything together and it appeared to work. However, I have three weird issues:
  • Hazard lights flash every once in a while. Sometimes when turning on or off climate, sometimes when truck is locked and no one in it.
  • AC compressor will not engage. No matter whether I use the stereo or knobs.
  • Remote start only works on the second try. Works EVERY time on the second try. First try everything including my fuel pump comes on, but no starter.
I pulled the wiring and plugged in the old module and none of the above issue exist. So now I'm re-studying the wiring diagram scratching my head. I checked every wire according to the schematics and it all meters out. Guess I'll re-test everything again. Starting to wonder if the HVCA module (68183973AB) is bad. My truck had 7 speed blower from factory.

Last edited:

Tyler Welch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Is their a wiring diagram for the 4-7 resister hvac harness that we would normally order and strip down? I’m trying to order the hvac harness to break down and everyone is on back order for that particular harness. I was just trying to build one to speed things up at this point.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L