DIY: 2017-19/20 classic Overhead Mic and Compass harness install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
View media item 30608
This is my dome light connector, I only have 2 wires. Easy to remove some light, no screws. Small opening on clear lens on driver side, pop it out from there. The lens actually has a wing type protrusion that holds passenger side of light up on ceiling and once you rock lens down you will see whole light loosen. Then just slide whole thing out, once disconnected from plug reach up in the opening and remove tape, gives you a little more wire to work with.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I was installing the base part of the overhead console I didn't actually pull the whole headliner down. What I did was remove both covers from the driver and passenger side a pillar, then I removed both driver and passenger visor, and then I was able to pull the headliner down enough to slide the base part up into the cavity. I had cut a small hole already in the headliner so that I could work a little easier. Then I put the two screws from each visor up into the base unit to hold it in place and then I started work on creating the opening enough to allow me to put the trim piece of the console in I worked from the light and of the overhead console, basically the rear and worked my way forward. With the trim piece you only have about a quarter inch at the front so you want to be real careful when you get to that end. For the wires that I ran to the driver and passenger seat pillar I had to take the rear seat out which made it easier to remove the two pieces of the trim on the pillars. If you remove the sea pillar trim before it is possible to take the upper part of the trim out and not remove the whole seat but it sure is a lot easier to do the wiring with the seat not there and if you're so inclined you can do the modification on the two hooks on the back of the seat if you don't have a full forward receipt already you can add that option, look into fourth gen DIY folder for more on that.

ShagTimeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
@Mpgrimm2 Today I purchased a 2017 2500 Tradesman Cummins with the RA1. My plan is to use the M2 MODS harness and schematics for the upgrade to at least the RA2 with Bluetooth, but I am leaning toward getting the 8.4 with NAV. I am local to Anderson SC. Is there anyone specifically in our area as the "goto" for used pieces?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Mpgrimm2 Today I purchased a 2017 2500 Tradesman Cummins with the RA1. My plan is to use the M2 MODS harness and schematics for the upgrade to at least the RA2 with Bluetooth, but I am leaning toward getting the 8.4 with NAV. I am local to Anderson SC. Is there anyone specifically in our area as the "goto" for used pieces?
He usually has most of the stuff you may need and sometimes even a radio. You won't need a conversion harness with the RA2 because it uses the same HVAC bezel as the RA1. You would need the harness with the RA3 or RA4 radios. You may want to message him in the vendor section of the forum. He monitors that regularly. He is definitely the place you want to go to get most of what you may need.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I will send you a message shortly. (I happen to have a complete 17 RA4 kit).

M² Mods.

Catdaddyttt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered the wiring harness to add the hand free mics to the headliner of my 2020 Ram 1500 Classic. It arrived in a timely manner, the harness was great quality and the install was easy with the directions supplied. I recommend any work done by Mpgrimm2!!!!

Kurt B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So trying to add the microphones to my truck and I wired them all the way from the headliner down but when I get to the back of my radio I already have the ports 29/30 and 39/40 already populated but they don’t show up in the green i370 plug on the driver side. Any clue where these wires might disappear to in the truck? I am working on A 2016 4500 cab chassis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So trying to add the microphones to my truck and I wired them all the way from the headliner down but when I get to the back of my radio I already have the ports 29/30 and 39/40 already populated but they don’t show up in the green i370 plug on the driver side. Any clue where these wires might disappear to in the truck? I am working on A 2016 4500 cab chassis.
13-16 trucks have them in the passenger side i340 connector are intended to be used with the 13-16 mirror that has the mics and Mopar mirror header harness. It's all plug in play with parts to can get direct from mopar it a salvage truck.

See... RamForum’s DIY: 2013-2018 RearView Mirror Upgrade & Harness install

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok updated my stock radio to a RA2 then with the help of @Mpgrimm2 and @Athlium i got my mics in the head liner and the radio displays my backup camera M2Mods harness are great quality and exactly what I needed all plug and play. so now my 2017 express has Bluetooth and hands free and the steering wheel controls. Now I got a get the new badge EXPRESS+ lol thanks all for the help. Mike has great info and top shelf harnesses better than stock and great customer service!

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
ok updated my stock radio to a RA2 then with the help of @Mpgrimm2 and @Athlium i got my mics in the head liner and the radio displays my backup camera M2Mods harness are great quality and exactly what I needed all plug and play. so now my 2017 express has Bluetooth and hands free and the steering wheel controls. Now I got a get the new badge EXPRESS+ lol thanks all for the help. Mike has great info and top shelf harnesses better than stock and great customer service!
Now only if we could figure out how to get those headliner mics to work in a 2014, i'd be happier than a pig in ****! lol

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys, so I just installed the overhead console with homelink. Since I already had the mirror with mics and corresponding harness done while back when I upgraded to ra2, I just spliced in the homelink harness into the mirror harness, since the mirror harness already had linbus wire, plus power and ground. However, now, I don’t know how to program the homelink... All the videos that I find have people programming it using the 7” screen cluster, but I have the cheapo cluster (for now). How do I see the homelink programming options?