Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY - add Auxiliary switches to a 2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by abbttb, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Fishstickz

Fishstickz Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    1. After watching one of the videos posted above, yeah the switches are removable with a little work

2 & 3. From the same video, it looks like it they can be moved around a little. However the top row and bottom row have different shapes to them so they may not be able to swap with each other. Also the ones on the end that curve around probably wouldn’t swap either. Also you’ll have to do some wiring to make sure the buttons you change the positions of match up with the wiring

4. It also looked like from the video that every button (including the unused boxes) have the circuitry behind it, so I would imagine those circuits have to output somewhere

Thank you to the guy who posted those videos earlier. It looks to me like the only difference in part numbers between all these switch banks is the faceplate and buttons—all the electrical appear to be there no matter the part number. Since these switches are so easy to take apart and swap buttons, I doubt it would be too hard to make some custom buttons with some fab work

Have one of you guys taken apart your old switch bank without the aux buttons? Im kinda wondering if the circuitry is behind those as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  2. GTyankee

GTyankee Senior Member Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 ecodiesel
    I recall one youtube video, where the guy changes around the buttons

You all do know that you can install the aux switches, but afterwards you have to activate it, either by going to the dealership or using a capable scan tool or programmer

Once it is activated you can use the radio to set the functions

3. Fishstickz

Fishstickz Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    You’re 100% right on a typical OEM swap, but my rig is about 7 years to old for that lol

I’m looking to put a 2013 switch bank in my ‘06. Since 2013s were hard-wired and didn’t have the LIN-bus junk, the hardest thing will be grafting it into place. Since everything is completely not-OEM anyways I’ll have a lot of freedom with the top row of buttons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GTyankee

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 ecodiesel
    I was just referring to changing the buttons around on the auxiliary switch itself
    I was not referring to the connections on the back of the switch

Fishstickz likes this.
  5. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L
    So when I cut my wires behind the switch bank do I connect my new wire to the side coming from the switch bank or the side running to the switch bank? Or do I connect to both

6. GTyankee

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 ecodiesel
    Found on another website

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021