Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY - add Auxiliary switches to a 2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by abbttb, Jan 9, 2017.

1. tnctx02

tnctx02 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2017 RAM SLT
    Engine:
    3.6L Pentastar V6
  2. RamRodJay

RamRodJay Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Hey everyone, first post here and reading up on this thread. Sorry for the noob but maybe complicated question im about to ask.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 SSV (special service vehicle), and it came with the upfitter package and the VISM under the dash. I have just the one upfitter plug in the engine bay, jthe dark gray one so I can run the aux panel for sure, just aux 5 will be useless since i dont have the PTO option. I understand I need the aux panel from a 2500+, but do I need the upfitter wiring package, or will this all be plug and play once i swap aux panels, and run 4 new wires from the gray plug in the engine bay? currently its the blank bottom row.

3. marc cormier

marc cormier Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    pentastar
    on non pto truck the 5th switch just become a regular aux switch like the 4 others. and there is no plug and play harness for these switch, if you don't have it from factory there is no wiring present, it's completely do it yourself

4. meu_21

meu_21 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    I have a 2018 RAM. I installed my switches and used alfaobd to program with the bypass cable, but my switches don't show up on the screen by just changing the "Cust.Set. Menu 1. Auxiliary Switches CSM Present". What setting did you use?

5. marc cormier

marc cormier Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    pentastar
    first, i don't know if you already work with alfaobd so just to be clear, everytime you change a setting in your ram you need to turn the key off and wait up to 5 minute for the truck computer to go in sleep mode, then the change will take effect after that.

this setting should be the only one. the option will be in the instrument cluster screen under the commercial setting. you need to enter a pin cond to access these setting. the default pin code should be 0000

6. meu_21

meu_21 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Yes, I initially activated it that way, but I couldn't get the radio buttons (check marks) to switch between Battery / Ignition, and Latching / Momentary, It would always default back to Ignition and Latching. Otherwise they were hooked-up correctly and I've tested them and work.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  7. kegger

kegger Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 pentastar
    Need a bit of guidance here guys. I finally got the relay box in the truck but it's not working. I have power to the relays on 30 and 87 but when I hit the aux button inside the truck nothing changes. I don't get power on any other pin of the relay. I've checked and the relays are working correctly. If I put power to the aux output the fogs light up. Did I wire something backwards!? From the switches inside theIthe truck I get 9.1 volts if I turn in any aux button and the power goes away on that button only. I don't know what to do other then pull the box and see what I may have wired wrong.

Any help would be awesome.

8. Moparfanatic21

Moparfanatic21 U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    The switches switch the ground not the power

9. kegger

kegger Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 pentastar
    I get the switches should be grounded. What's happening is there is zero power on the aux switches with the truck on. When I hit aux 1 there is still nothing but on pins 2,3,4,5 there is positive power. If I turn off aux 1 there isn't power on any pin. If I turn on aux 2on the panel there is zero power on pin 2 but positive power on 1,3,4,5......ect all the way across. I just double checked my wiring against the picture posted earlier in the thread and it all seems right. Only thing I can think is there is something wrong with the panel itself.

10. gdwillet

gdwillet Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Does anyone on here know how I can test my auxiliary switch panel? I think I got a bad panel as my tow haul and traction control buttons light up and work properly but my 5 aux buttons do not light up or work. Any help is appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk