DIY Bedliner Opinions/Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just received my quote from Line-X...all I can say is they must not do random drug testing at their facility. Basically $600 for basic and another $200 for their “Premium”. Oh, but if I do it in next 30 days I get a$100 off of the Premium upgrade. This is also with me having to remove my factory plastic drop-in liner and cleaning the bed prior to the appointment. Ah no thanks....
Doing my research on the DIY products. Anybody here done this yourself? Looking for a little firsthand experience feedback.
My Ram has a tonneau cover that is on 99% of the time. Its not used for work or regular hauling. Just runs to Lowes or to the mulch yard etc...
I like the fact that the spray-in/rolled-in liners look better, aren’t slick and seal in the bed against future problems like rust etc. i realize they scratch and I know that if I dont do a great job prepping it will go sideways....

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will get tons of replies but I doubt many will mention the BedRug option...except me! I have both the tailgate and the bed mat from this company and for my purposes, it's perfect. Your knees will have no problem being on either surface (try that with Line-X or similar products) and the bed mat is nicely padded. They'll hold up to abuse, so you should have no issues considering how you use your rig. They're held down with heavy-duty hook-and-loop, although the stuff BedRug includes is not great quality. Nope, the bed isn't sealed like a spray-on or roll-on job, but you've got a tonneau cover (as I do), so who cares?

BTW, BR makes a liner that covers the sidewalls, too, if that's important to you. It wasn't to me, but if I treated my Reb like a farm truck, I'd probably opt for it.

Hope this helps!

TXCOMT

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my 2 cents but $600 for line-x is not bad for the liner you get. They do the prep work themselves and it will be far superior than any DIY job.

There is a YouTube channel where a guy tests every available DIY bedliner and every result is laughable at best and you’d be back to square one with a poor looking and performing liner job.

Either have a professional do it, or just get a bed rug in my opinion

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a DIY Herculiner liner on my Dakota. I used my bed a lot. Not like a commercial work truck, but I did a lot with that bed over 17 years. Hauled rocks and stones, heavy furniture, logs and branches, etc. After 17 years, it was still in good shape. Everything was still covered with the liner. I liked the Herculiner because it had bits of rubber in it, so there was texture. Things didn't slide around in the bed.
My RAM came with a drop-in liner, but I would definitely think about doing the Herculiner again if I didn't have the drop-in.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
If you're looking to save a few bucks and protect the bed, I'd just address any bare metal with some quality paint and either get a new slide in or clean up the existing one. The problem you'll run into with a DIY job is if it starts to peel or gets a scuff down to the metal, you'll never get it patched without it looking like you think it will. I did my boat decks with a roll on kit and it looked good for about a year then started peeling up here and there and wasn't as durable (not even close) as a commercial spray in. My last truck had a slide in and my new one has a Line-X I miss how easy it was to slide stuff in and out of the bed, but don't miss always wondering if the bed was rusting out underneath. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep in mind impact resistance is significantly reduced with any kind of paint on liner as compared to a drop in.

My personal favorite is a roll on with either a drop in or a rubber mat for impact protection.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Groundhog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got the Premium LINE-X in my truck, money well spent in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I paid $450 for Rhino liner. I can't tell the difference between that and Line X. Just my 2 cents.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I used Herculiner on the interior of my old Jeep years ago. What an utter PITA that was! it comes down to your expectations of quality/finish and how much your time is worth to you. I think I paid $550 to get the bed of my 1500 Line-X'd. The 2500 had the coating from the factory. After my experience with Herculiner, wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Probably going to add a Bedrug eventually too.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will get tons of replies but I doubt many will mention the BedRug option...except me! I have both the tailgate and the bed mat from this company and for my purposes, it's perfect. Your knees will have no problem being on either surface (try that with Line-X or similar products) and the bed mat is nicely padded. They'll hold up to abuse, so you should have no issues considering how you use your rig. They're held down with heavy-duty hook-and-loop, although the stuff BedRug includes is not great quality. Nope, the bed isn't sealed like a spray-on or roll-on job, but you've got a tonneau cover (as I do), so who cares?

BTW, BR makes a liner that covers the sidewalls, too, if that's important to you. It wasn't to me, but if I treated my Reb like a farm truck, I'd probably opt for it.

Hope this helps!

TXCOMT
This is actually a good option. @JB1, who has one of the sickest trucks on this site, doesnt even have a liner, just a rug and it looks cleannn

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had my truck line x’d with premium for 638 and got free weathertech floor liners ! U in Texas by chance lol

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It did the Herculiner roll on kit myself but bought as extra gallon to apply on top of the first gallon. Which came out to about $170 with the other supplies. Did everything myself. Best to use powertools hahah. Its been about 2 years now and gone through 2 seasons of wood hauling(20 loads each season) and hauling house supplies, gravel and others. Still holding up fine but does not feel "hard" as factory on my grandfather truck. More on the softer rubbery side. I would do it again if I get another truck that doesn't have it. My new truck came with the factory drop in plastic one.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is actually a good option. @JB1, who has one of the sickest trucks on this site, doesnt even have a liner, just a rug and it looks cleannn

Wow thanks man I appreciate that. :cheers:

@ThunderMug95, I’m kinda like you I really didn’t need an 800 bed liner, just something to protect it from hauling few things that a normal homeowner might haul. I got the BedRug Impact Truck Bed Mat part #IMT09CCS. Bought my truck off the lot and it didn't come with a spray on liner so just decided to get this mat. I really don't haul much in the bed and really just needed something to keep things from sliding so this was a good solution for me. This mat has the same 3/4" padding like the carpeted version(1/4" on tailgate) but has a rubber feel on top. It retails around $199 but I got mine at autoanything with a coupon, no tax and free shipping so it wasn’t bad.

B782D089-3FC6-46EB-9686-71F0C41F1C51.jpeg

6B31CCD3-C0B4-4657-86D6-B9456243E0B3.jpeg

2BC1FD9A-693E-4CDE-98EE-BF30659826A0.jpeg

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With various trucks, I've had a bare painted bed (dented a bit, rusted, things slide around a lot, but easy to clean with a hose). I've had a BedRug (feels great, hard to clean when you put things like yard waste in the truck). I've had a factory plastic drop in (looks good, things slide around a whole lot). I've never liked the idea of spray in because it's really hard to kneel or crawl around in that 80 grit sandpaper, they damage your paint in order to get it to adhere, and if it doesn't adhere well then you're stuck. And it's $$$$ to get a quality job.

For the Ram I went with a https://www.dualliner.com/. Plastic snap-in sides, heavy rubber floor. Easy to clean, nothing slides around at all. I can treat the truck like a truck with dump runs, etc and wash it out and be done. I also have a tonneau over mine 100% of the time. $400 with free shipping.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I know a few guys that have done the Raptor liner and had good results with it...

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate all the feedback folks. I had planned on doing a class A prep job with my DA etc. i just cant see forking over that much $. I admit, the LineX does look great and performs. I ordered a bedrug mat similar to JB’s tonight. I can use with or without my existing plasti drop in. I am going to remove the plastic liner and check to see if there is anything of concern. The truck came with it and it didnt have a tonneau until I got it. Will be waiting until weather changes for the better if I go ahead with a DIY roll/spray in..

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a gallon of something liner at Autozone, thing came with a roller and a paint brush. I remember they had a can of chit for $90 brand bla, and another one for $69 brand ble, i went with the last cause i'm cheap and i painted the bed myself. Sure i won't be winning any car shows with the way it came out :), but i'll tell you what, i wanted extra protection on top of the bare paint i had, so this thing did what i wanted, plus i threw a Deezee HD rubber mat on top of it. Hasn't chip yet, i don't haul sharp objects, mostly camping/outdoor/offroad gear, my bed looks like this on a normal day without anything in the back, this is clean mode... why would i bother with $600 worth of magic paint ?
I'll be ordering the Deezee tailgate mat as it's nice to have, the paint on that portion is all scuffed up, but still holding, i paid i think $80 for the bed mat, the tailgate one is $40.

46979203232_acdbadf814_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited: