DIY/Cheaper Performance mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would avoid the Indy manifold. That is, unless you're planning a nice aluminum headed 408 with 11:1 or better compression and a nice solid roller camshaft. Or a boosted 408. It's big is the problem, too big. Massive plenum single plane manifold with very large short runners. All this translates to garbage tq. Not a good fit for 99% of guys running these engines.

I'm slowly building a spare block with a factory crank, H-beam rods, forged pistons, billet main caps, aluminum heads and a Vortech blower and I wouldn't run the indy if somebody gave it to me. Just not well suited to most builds. Least not without more rpm, gear and converter in my truck I wouldn't.

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Good to know, it looks good, but does not sound like the route I want to go, not looking to build a power beast, more or less just want to be able to have enough power if and when the need arises. If you get a chance to make a build thread for that motor you are building would definitely love to see that.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Good to know, it looks good, but does not sound like the route I want to go, not looking to build a power beast, more or less just want to be able to have enough power if and when the need arises. If you get a chance to make a build thread for that motor you are building would definitely love to see that.
Lol it'll be awhile

Fistymopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 98, 99 98, 00,96,99, yes I have several
Engine
5.2- cummins
20181118_093602.jpg 20181117_150900.jpg 20181117_145557.jpg FYI short tube headers make the same amount of performances the long tube unless you're consistently running above 4000 RPM, which is where the heads start to work too. At least in all my dyno test. Here is the only actual fix for the Magnum motor but it's neither cheap nor easy. it requires drilling the block for oil and installing La heads so you can get the velocity up through the roof where it needs to be. so now you can get the mileage out of it and the low end power these trucks need. This 5 9 is a mainly refined stock except for the cam and it's been balanced. the LA heads it make 453hp at 4000 and 488ftlbs at 5500. No " scrap" stroker kits or aluminum heads. It is essentially now an efi LA.
Dollar-for-dollar, an La motor, magnum motor and a Hemi it is still much cheaper to build an LA motor. Love these trucks, i have 11 of them but they are limited by the Magnum head design, and dwindling aftermarket support and high costs. NOT everyone has 7300 to put into to a Dakota or ram but.....

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Short tubes don't have near the performance the longtubes do and if they do you need to revise your entire system. The ball collectors, tiny primaries and tiny downpipes these trucks have kill any real gain

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Aftermarket Magnum heads also make plenty of power. They actually out perform all the factory LA castings and most of the aftermarket. Not all but most. And considering the cost of drilling the block plus the cost of the valvetrain, unless you're building a pretty serious drag engine you're wasting time and money when you should've started with an R3 block or similar anyways