DIY DPF Cleaning-Anyone do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSPKurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone here cleaned their DPF filter? How did it work out? I'm doing mine right now, will reinstall it tomorrow. '16 Cummins, btw.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On my 11’, I used Purple Power on both the NOX and DPF. The stuff that comes out is blacker than black! I did them each a few times, rinsed with water from the hose into my grass, fired up the leaf blower, got as much water out as I could. Reinstalled, got my smog certificate (California) and I was golden!

OP
OP
GSPKurt

GSPKurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I cleaned mine, but removed the splined bolts that attach it to the rest of the exhaust system and put grade 8 standard bolts/nust instead. That will make it easier to remove the DPF if there is a next time I need to do this.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Anyone here cleaned their DPF filter? How did it work out? I'm doing mine right now, will reinstall it tomorrow. '16 Cummins, btw.
How many miles are on it and why do you think it needs cleaning? Did your truck throw a code?

OP
OP
GSPKurt

GSPKurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yes, DPF full, regen didn't work. Got the dreaded 5 MPH max warning. 35,000 miles!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With only having 35K miles on the truck there is definitely something wrong to have manually clean the DPF because a regen won't clean it out. The dealer WiTech tool can force aggressive regents, AlfaOBD has the option listed for the Cummins but I haven't read about anyone using it.
I think I remember reading somewhere that Cummins recommends the DPF to be serviced at 200K miles.

twin88cam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins, full deletes, stock muffler, RaceMe tow tune..
Short trips, slow speeds and long idle time will definitely shorten the life of the system. Our trucks have a lot of pto time, and we spend thousands of dollars a year on emissions related problems. We have started buying gas powered F600's and gas Ram 5500's to get away from this problem, even with the projected life span of the gas engines being shorter, the decrease in maintenance cost, and lower cost of fuel, not to mention the lower initial cost, we are still ahead of the game dollar wise over the life of the truck. 200,000 miles / 5000 hours is probably correct on Cummins, if you tow almost all the time, and , or long distance.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
With only having 35K miles on the truck there is definitely something wrong to have manually clean the DPF because a regen won't clean it out. The dealer WiTech tool can force aggressive regents, AlfaOBD has the option listed for the Cummins but I haven't read about anyone using it.
I think I remember reading somewhere that Cummins recommends the DPF to be serviced at 200K miles.

I have used the stationary De-soot function in AlfaOBD and it works great. I know several others that have as well.

Kanypony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
You seem to have a very low mileage to change the DPF, and for 4 thousand bucks.

Homospaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
I decided to clean the DPF myself somehow.

Last edited: