DIY: Folding Rear Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I wanted to fold my rear seats down for an amp mounting in the back and I found all the info I needed across several forums so I figured I'd put it all in one place with pics. Also, this doesn't require you order anything, just make a trip to Home Depot

What I Used:
11 bags of 1/2" washer (pic below)
18mm Socket
Breaker Bar (optional)
1" Masking Tape

The articles say 1/2" of spacer but I found that 9/16" worked better for me, and that's 8 of these washers. I used the masking tape to hold them together instead of shoving them all in there individually.. worked much better.

44374c171d22c8208563338826eb7db2.jpg

7f9f7c0e97d625a1dbcaf64b3406aafe.jpg

bd4ff09d77de7fec4993a4239157c1c2.jpg

There are 4 18mm bolts holding each seat in, unbolt them. You may need the breaker bar to save some effort(work smarter, not harder) because some of those bolts were torqued with Zeus's Hammer for me. One in the front and one in the rear from each side.

f7978c01e4c7fc369ed57fbeb5fe314b.jpg

ff13b0c75b6c5fcdd327f4c942830f98.jpg

No need to lift the seat up to check just yet otherwise it might be tricky to place back on, I promise if you removed those 4 bolts, you're good. Insert the washer blocks under each hole and hand tighten the bolts back on just so they're threaded in.

77d8c73bbe3d16693783201f7101702b.jpg

Once they're all threaded, tighten them all with the socket. I didn't use the breaker bar because I assumed they didn't need to hold a suspension bridge together, just the seats in place. I still used a good amount of elbow grease though. Once they're all tightened, lift up the seat and almost towards the top, you can pull the seat forward and it all folds down.

551b7d9d8d3f961710bfb8ec15c83808.jpg

You might have to give it a decent tug or push to get it off or put it back on, like slamming a front seat in place when you fold it forward. You could always use another washer on each side, but this way it stays in place. Any questions, let me know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Great writeup.

Could I recommend to maybe suggest using 8- 3/4" nuts as an alternative to the washers? It works the same and less work necessary as you won't need to tape them together.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Great writeup.

Could I recommend to maybe suggest using 8- 3/4" nuts as an alternative to the washers? It works the same and less work necessary as you won't need to tape them together.
Thanks!

At first my idea was to use an oversized nut but I didn't know off the top of my head how much space around the bolt hole I had so I was trying to minimize the excess spacer around the hole but those would work just as well I bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dlking05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is worth it if all i want to do is be able to clean the back windows easier. Great write up

streetdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look at the pictures of the original post, when the seat is folded forward you can see the hooks that lock on to the rear wall that keep the seat from folding. I took a large crescent wrench, adjusted it so it fit tight on the hooks and bent them to the side, problem solved. The seat folds and it's not elevated by spacers. I've never had a problem of it folding on its own.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you look at the pictures of the original post, when the seat is folded forward you can see the hooks that lock on to the rear wall that keep the seat from folding. I took a large crescent wrench, adjusted it so it fit tight on the hooks and bent them to the side, problem solved. The seat folds and it's not elevated by spacers. I've never had a problem of it folding on its own.
Got a picture?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

XabuJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So with it in the normal upright position, how much of the hook is inside the loop?

I ask because I got about 9/16" with like 5 washers, not 8. I used some expensive green loctite my neighbor gave me, that basically forever glued them together. When I bolted it all back together, when I try to pull the seat, watching when it's at the highest point when you lift the bottom up a little, nothing happens. It's still very much hooked in, but it feels like there's a good 1" almost of hook. Granted I can't really measure and that length is probably off, but it's still enough that I can't pull it forward.

Was it super hard the first couple times until you got the trick down?

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So with it in the normal upright position, how much of the hook is inside the loop?

I ask because I got about 9/16" with like 5 washers, not 8. I used some expensive green loctite my neighbor gave me, that basically forever glued them together. When I bolted it all back together, when I try to pull the seat, watching when it's at the highest point when you lift the bottom up a little, nothing happens. It's still very much hooked in, but it feels like there's a good 1" almost of hook. Granted I can't really measure and that length is probably off, but it's still enough that I can't pull it forward.

Was it super hard the first couple times until you got the trick down?

Depends.

I have to find a "sweet" spot between lifting the bottom seat and pulling the back forward for mine to unlatch.

On one hand, you want enough hook left to safely hold the seat locked in. On the other, it needs to be just enough hook for it to come unlatched when you want to fold it down.

Not the greatest mod lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Depends.

I have to find a "sweet" spot between lifting the bottom seat and pulling the back forward for mine to unlatch.

On one hand, you want enough hook left to safely hold the seat locked in. On the other, it needs to be just enough hook for it to come unlatched when you want to fold it down.

Not the greatest mod lol
Agreed, I'm over 3/4" in spacers and still can't get it to unlatch. I'm going to remove the spacers and forget about it.

XabuJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends.

Not the greatest mod lol

Agreed, I'm over 3/4" in spacers and still can't get it to unlatch. I'm going to remove the spacers and forget about it.

Damn it.. haha.. I just put in a nice amp behind the seat and would prefer to have easy access to tune it, since it's fairly high end with a great crossover setup.

I'm going to have to look into what I can do to make it work, maybe not using spacers and going a different route, I don't know.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn it.. haha.. I just put in a nice amp behind the seat and would prefer to have easy access to tune it, since it's fairly high end with a great crossover setup.

I'm going to have to look into what I can do to make it work, maybe not using spacers and going a different route, I don't know.

I believe some guys file/cut down the hook to make it easier.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

What RZRman said...I know I can make it work, I just don't have a reason to like you do.

I honestly think there was a change in length for the rear seat "hooks" sometime that accounts for the variation in spacer height. The best solution would likely be to add a little spacer height and file down the length of the hooks until it meets in the middle with minimal modification to each...

XabuJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe some guys file/cut down the hook to make it easier.

That's what I was just thinking.. since I can reach behind there and such, using a marker or whatever to mark where it is at both points... so I can cut and adapt it at that point.

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Ok I gotta ask!! For the life of me (without reading owners manual) I cannot fold my rear seats down on my 17 2500. Is this one of the reasons??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok I gotta ask!! For the life of me (without reading owners manual) I cannot fold my rear seats down on my 17 2500. Is this one of the reasons??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it is not meant to fold down.

XabuJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes, it is not meant to fold down.

If you want to look at why, unbolt your seat and lift it up, you'll see the hooks that we're talking about. It's what keeps it in.

I think I also will modify the car seat holder they put in my '09, it doesn't fit the clips that they use today.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know the rear seats in a crew cab 2500 didn't fold- I always figured it was just the 1500-
Love my mega cab and my folding/reclining back seats-