DIY: Folding Rear Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For the guys that did this, can one of you post a pic of the loop the hooks go into? I seen a video where a guy can unbolt that loop and flip it over maki g the hitch point lower, no cutting g of hooks or spacers needed. It was and older Ram, idk if the newer ones are welded or bolted?
Different hook in the newer Rams...I checked when I saw that video!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Got a picture?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

no need to bend them just go about 1/16 of inch in top the white plastic that fits over the metal hook and saw it off.
Shortens the hook so when seat is lifted, the hooks clear the anchor and seats fold down. when seat is in upright psition. hook is firmly caught by the anchor and seat stays put.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
For the guys that did this, can one of you post a pic of the loop the hooks go into? I seen a video where a guy can unbolt that loop and flip it over maki g the hitch point lower, no cutting g of hooks or spacers needed. It was and older Ram, idk if the newer ones are welded or bolted?

older ram does not work on 2010 and up.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is a great mod. Great place to put stuff out of sight!

dynocon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did this over the weekend. Thanks for all of the tips. I removed the 2 back bolts and loosened the front 2. Raised the seat and lifter the back to get it off the hooks. I then reached beside the seat while folding it back to determine where to cut the hook. Mine were not the same height for what ever reason, one was cut right at the plastic, the other was 1/2" into the plastic. Bolt cutters work great to cut the hooks. The back will fold down when the seat is raised, then locks back into position.

Scott Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very nice mod! Do the hooks still catch and keep the seats in their upright position when they're not folded? I have 2 kids that sit in the back and wouldnt want anything weird to happen if a wreck were to happen. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Very nice mod! Do the hooks still catch and keep the seats in their upright position when they're not folded? I have 2 kids that sit in the back and wouldnt want anything weird to happen if a wreck were to happen. Thanks in advance!
Yes they did. They never came unlatched over bumps or anything like that

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Guys for the awesome write up and video, I have a 5 gen, looks like loosen all 4 bolts that hold the seat down, then you can pull on the seat back to cut that hook, I used a pneumatic cut off wheel nice and clean

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Guess I need to revisit this project? My 2019 quad I tried this a year ago when I got it. Put 3/4" washers under seat AND cut the hook to the plastic part and still doesn't work. I think it's close but not cutting/lifting more. Maybe bend the loop down?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Guess I need to revisit this project? My 2019 quad I tried this a year ago when I got it. Put 3/4" washers under seat AND cut the hook to the plastic part and still doesn't work. I think it's close but not cutting/lifting more. Maybe bend the loop down?
Or shave a tiny bit off the seat hook?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Revanoff2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Are you pulling the top of the seat forward when the bottom is all the way up? I would try pulling on the top forward while also lifting the bottom up. You may find the top flips forward before the bottom is all the way vertical.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Are you pulling the top of the seat forward when the bottom is all the way up? I would try pulling on the top forward while also lifting the bottom up. You may find the top flips forward before the bottom is all the way vertical.
Yes I keep pulling on the headrest as I raise the bottom. I know "how" it works just can't get the right combo of cutting/lifting to get mine to work. I bet RAM read this thread and made it harder to do lol

Revanoff2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes I keep pulling on the headrest as I raise the bottom. I know "how" it works just can't get the right combo of cutting/lifting to get mine to work. I bet RAM read this thread and made it harder to do lol

Probably lol

I guess you just keep cutting until it goes!