DIY hard tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didn't want to drop 800+ on a hard cover, but my wife and best friend told me I should because it's a 50k truck...
So I made one.
In retrospect it might have been better to use 1/4 aluminum for the panels but that stuff if really expensive.
I didn't set out to post this as a project so there's no build pics. However, thru trial and error I ended up with this: a tri fold locking cover that sits flush with the bed rails. It's not complete yet as the weather strip I ordered was shipped to the wingw address and I haven't installed the lid struts yet. Also still trying to figure out the best eat to fold up the back panel, which folds down...
General Materials list:
1x2 strips to frame the panels
1/4 hardboard
Heavy galvanized sheet metal
1 large piano hinge
4 offset hinges
2" cabinet locks
Marine cam locks
Marine vinyl
A ton of contact cement
Leftover insulation panels
Auto carpet
Angle iron for bed rail and panel brace
Rail clamps

OP
OP
Shorebound

Shorebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know what's going on with the pics but from my phone it looks like I'm posting duplicate images.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite an endeavor. One issue I see is it looks like the seams will leak badly during a rain.

OP
OP
Shorebound

Shorebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Quite an endeavor. One issue I see is it looks like the seams will leak badly during a rain.
I have seals on order for the bakflip. Hopefully that will do it. If not, I'll figure something out. I'm in Arizona so I'm not really worries about rain (for that reason anyway!)

OP
OP
Shorebound

Shorebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Total maybe 400. A fair amount was trial and error and hardware. I ordered hinges and weather strip I didn't use, and went thru a lot of contact decent as I decided in the covering. I also tried hammered texture paint and canvas before going back to the vinyl.. I'm concerned about how easy it is to scratch.
Had I paid full price for the steel plate I'd be in it a lot more.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Built not bought ! Looks outstanding to me.

OP
OP
Shorebound

Shorebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Built not bought ! Looks outstanding to me.
That's right. Haven't wrenched since I sold my rock crawler so this was kinda fun.
Thanks for the compliment.
The Bak flip seal worked for the cab and the sides. Won't work for these two areas tho so back to home depot I go...

20180702_202345.jpg

20180702_202354.jpg

Last edited: