DIY: How To Remove Airbag Emblem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlwaysSomethin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram
Engine
5.7L
So I got a replacement badge for my steering wheel from Nate at rebadge, and couldn't really find a good idea on how to remove the old emblem (some say pry it off etc. but I couldn't find a definitive answer)

I came to the conclusion the best was was via removing the Airbag, then its cover. I first followed steps from a Steering wheel control how-to to remove the airbag, found here: http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_2013-2014_oem_steering_wheel_audio_control_install-54449/ by @Cgeorgemo

20150217_192821_zpsru4lgcf3.jpg
20150217_192747_zpsdvwjny9u.jpg
20150217_192742_zpsx3amieew.jpg

once you have the bag off, you can bend the tabs back, as you see in the pics, and remove the actual cover, that will get you to this:

20150217_192550_zpsp3uogltg.jpg

I never fully removed the cover, i simply pulled the lower part away, and gently pushed the silver tab down with a screwdriver and it popped right off releasing the emblem. You can now hook the cover back over the tabs an bend them back.

After the cover is back on, You can make all your connections, snap the bag back in, reassemble the column cover, install your new badge before reconnecting the battery.

20150217_193426_zps49c0rfga.jpg
20150217_193547_zpssuxwzejd.jpg

I probably should've taken more pictures, but this is my first shot at a writeup, and I obviously had no clue what I was doing to begin with haha. So hopefully this can help someone! I'm glad I didn't choose the "Just pry it off" method, A. because id hate for the metal piece to just be rattling behind the bag cover, B. Because my luck the bag would deploy and itd find my face.

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WHere des one find such wonders?

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm glad I didn't choose the "Just pry it off" method, A. because id hate for the metal piece to just be rattling behind the bag cover, B. Because my luck the bag would deploy and itd find my face.

What is securing the R/T badge from becoming a projectile in an airbag deployment?

Igolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it came from Nate at Rebadge it's a decal and not a metal or hard plastic badge so you should be safe if you ever had to use the airbag.

OP
OP
AlwaysSomethin

AlwaysSomethin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram
Engine
5.7L
WHere des one find such wonders?

RebadgeDesign.com

What is securing the R/T badge from becoming a projectile in an airbag deployment?

its an adhesive get decal. Much softer than the hard plastic/metal backed OE emblem, and softer than the airbag cover soooo....As much as I appreciate the devils advocate, thats the least of my worries when the airbag deploys...

If it came from Nate at Rebadge it's a decal and not a metal or hard plastic badge so you should be safe if you ever had to use the airbag.

Correct.

DocHoliday

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
isn't the air bag flap meant to flop up or down? and the actual air bag is what slams into you and gives you a brillo pad rug type burn on your arms and face? or are you saying this whole center flap will hit you first, impale you in the neck so you cant breath and then the air bag- somehow I don't think Ram set that up that way. It should be perfectly fine.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
are you saying this whole center flap will hit you first, impale you in the neck so you cant breath and then the air bag- somehow I don't think Ram set that up that way. It should be perfectly fine.

I only asked what kept it retained. Never mentioned the flap hitting the driver...

Felt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
@AlwaysSomethin you didn't notice a part number for just the cover itself when you were taking the air bag apart did you? I'm trying to buy the just the cover and so far all I find is the airbag assembly which I'm assuming comes with the cover. It's a 2019 Ram 2500. Thanks for any help.