DIY LED Bed Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yanclanman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put in some LED truck bed lights in my Ram. The whole project only cost me about $30. I thought others may be interested, so I am doing a little write up.

First thing I needed was some LED lights. I wanted the lights be on a black PCB board so they would blend in to the truck bed a little better. I also wanted them to be waterproof. Fortunately Amazon had exactly what I needed for only $10. It comes in a 16' roll witch was almost exactly the right length for the perimeter of my 5.7' bed. They also have an adhesive backing and are very easy to cut to any desired length.

Amazon.com: FAVOLCANO® 16.4ft 5M 300Leds Waterproof Cool White Led Strip Light 3528 DC12V 60Leds/M Black PCB Fiexble Light Led Ribbon Tape Home Decoration Lamp: Home Improvement

Next I bought a battery back ($15) that ran on 8 AA batteries. I also ordered a DC connector ($5) to run from the from the battery pack to the LEDs.

Amazon.com - The Octopak 2-s (Tm) - Aa Battery Power Supply for RGB LED Strip Light -

Amazon.com: LE® Connector of Single Color LED Strip Light, Connector Strip to Power Adaptor, Pack of 2 Units: Home Improvement

This made wiring the system up pretty simple. I'm sure you can wire up to your truck battery, but i was trying to keep it pretty simple.

After all the parts arrived I simply stuck the LED strip lights along the rail of my tonneau cover. The LED lights adhesive stuck very well to the metal of the rail. When I got to the rear, I just continued to stick the LEDs to the back of the truck bed. The LEDs did not adhere very well to my spray in bed-liner so I added some small strips of black duct tape to supplement. I attached the battery pack to the wall of my truck bed with some 3M VHD tape ($21). This stuff is really expensive, but it's the only thing I could find that would stick to my bed-liner.

All together the whole project only cost about $30 if you don't count the expensive tape. You could probably do it even cheaper if you skip the battery pack and wire it directly into your truck.

Here's a link to a video of the finished product.
https://youtu.be/MWcDPeeCRco

IMG_20160102_194244821.jpg

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like it. I have some puck lights in mine that I found at Costco. They came with a remote control and run on AAA batteries.

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
Thats awesome! I want something like for loading my motorcycle at night.

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent! I've been planning on doing the same.

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! Thank you for the links. I think I'll have to give this one a try

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7