DIY: PLASTI DIP on my 20" Chrome Clad Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram QC Sport 4x4 black
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I decided to try Plasti Dip out on my wheels. After reviews and various write ups and youtube videos I figured it would be worth trying and if I didn’t like it, it can be easily removed without any effects to the wheels underneath it. I located spray cans of it at my local Menards for just under $6 per can. I picked up 3 cans and that was plenty for 4 coats on each wheel (NOTE: I did not put any on the inside of the wheel).

ITEMS NEEDED:
(3) cans of Plasti Dip
Jack
(2) Jack stands
7/8” Socket
Torque Wrench (but not required)
Lug nut lock (if equipped)
Deck of cards or note cards
Glass Cleaner
Paper Towel
Lint Free Towel
Large piece of card board
Fan of some sort
Chocks or large blocks for the wheels

Allow about 6 hours total time, depending on your outside temperature, humidity, and wind. It was an overcast 40 degree day with a good breeze flowing into the garage.

STEP 1:
Park on a level piece of ground or in my case, my garage. Place the parking brake on. I started on the passenger side first. I used some blocks to chock the wheels for added safety. Start to un-loosen the lugs while the vehicle is still on the ground. You’ll need a 7/8” socket and the lug lock key if you’re wheels have them. Then once they are loosened, raise the vehicle and finish removing the lugs. Then take the tires off. I had to kick mine around a few places to loosen them from the light rust holding them. Once the tires are off, I made sure to keep them in order on the ground as they go on the truck so I didn’t forget which was front and which was rear. Then I put 2 jacks under the frame and let my Jack take a break. I then placed the tires on the ground and used a large piece of card board underneath them so to not paint the flooring.

STEP 2:
I then cleaned the wheels with window cleaner and some paper towel. I then used a lint free towel to get any parts of the paper towel off of the wheel.

STEP 3:
Then I placed cards from an old card deck I had around the wheel rim. I overlapped them about ½ inch. This trick works if you don’t have a lot of wind. A few times my cards blew off but didn’t affect the drying process.
IMG_2858-1.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg

STEP 4:
Apply a light coat of Plasti Dip. First get the hard to reach places then the easier spots. I stayed moving around the wheel and kept the spray nozzle about 12” away from the surface at all times.
IMG_2867.jpg

1st COAT:
IMG_2860.jpg

Wait 15 MIN or more between coats. Don’t worry if the stuff looks clumpy, shiny, or un-even….the magic happens when it dries. If you applied it mostly evenly and 12” away from the surface, by the 3-4th coat, it’ll be evenly dried and dull in finish color. REMEMBER to be in a vented area. I kept my garage open with a box fan moving air out...this stuff stinks!

2nd COAT:
IMG_2861.jpg

3rd COAT:
IMG_2862.jpg

I put a 4th Coat on since my coats were pretty light each time. I waited a full 30 minutes after the last coat to give it more time to dry before installing the wheels back on. I then removed the cards and installed the tires. I started the lugs and hand tightened them. I placed the vehicle back down and fully tightened the lugs to 100 ft/lbs with a torque wrench.
IMG_2864.jpg

I repeated the above steps for the driver’s side.

FINAL LOOK:
IMG_2871.jpg
IMG_2872.jpg
IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg

I will eventually black out my emblems and lettering. I will try to report any problems I encounter (if any) in the future with this on my wheels....right now I'm LOVIN' the look!I hope I have made this write-up easy to follow. If you have any questions just ask.

Re-CHECK Lugs after 100 miles.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice write up i like the card thing but if you decide to spray the tire it peels right off of it.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Looks good

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
That is a great writeup. Easy to follow and the outcome looks awesome!

Nice write up i like the card thing but if you decide to spray the tire it peels right off of it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. My buddy did this to his friend's Ram and just peeled it right off. You really don't need to remove the tires either, just put some newspaper to cover the brakes. The more you use plasti dip the more tricks you learn.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
great job. and it looks awesome.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
very nice!!!

OP
OP
H

HoosierHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram QC Sport 4x4 black
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the comments, keep 'em comin!

As for not removing the tires, i've read people do both, but I had the equipment and the time to remove them and didn't want to chance the stuff running, which I could see happening to the point it would show up once it dried.

cowboykyle88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does this stuff hold up to mud, snow, rocks? Basically does it hold up to the off road crowd? or is it just for looks??

chris h.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does this stuff hold up to mud, snow, rocks? Basically does it hold up to the off road crowd? or is it just for looks??

You can literally scratch plasti dip right off with your finger nail, so I'm gonna say no, it won't hold up to mud or rocks. Thats the beauty of it when using it on interior pieces, if you mess up, you can rub it and peel it off and start over.

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
crap.
now i have to figure out how this would look on my silver truck...

that looks nice with the black truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock