DIY Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looking at the wiring diagrams for my 2017, there are 2 sets of mirrors: base and premium. Im not 100% sure of the differences, because even the "base" mirrors reference heat, auto dimming and (oddly enough) power folding

It looks like the wires would be blue and yellow coming from the door module (one module for each door)....if you can see them going near your current mirrors, it looks like its possible they are plug and play. You would still need the switch, though. I dont know, though, if there exist another set of mirrors (non-tow) that are wired differently.

I found an installation video from infotainment, it looks like it is all plug & play. I would need to get 2 door modules, and the new driver side switches but everything is just swapped out, doesn’t look too difficult.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
Hi there, I have a 2017 Ram 1500 SLT with heated mirrors, I’m looking to add these mirrors that are also heated but has the turn signal/puddle light, does anyone know if the connections are the same?

CB71CFA1-8275-4DD2-A9F5-37089A65FE7D.jpeg

chum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Very easy, put a kit together myself and using alfaobd to activate the power folding module. love it!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hi there, I have a 2017 Ram 1500 SLT with heated mirrors, I’m looking to add these mirrors that are also heated but has the turn signal/puddle light, does anyone know if the connections are the same?

View attachment 145493
Not sure if those are from a 13-18 model year truck since I don't see a temp a Sensor located on that driver side mirror.

M² Mods.

tzr916

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 QC SLT 6'4"
Engine
5.7L 8spd 2WD
If you are able to source the connector with a little bit of harness left from a donor overhead harness (this is what I did) you are going to splice it in as shown in this pic:
bbb447efe5f00cf2aef8f4fc47ca7ff1.jpg

If you are fabricating your own harness and using quick connects onto the terminals you would wire it like this sweet picture I drew lol:
9380c08726c41055ae2992b7c7dabb3b.jpg

And if you are going to use a DPDT switch use this diagram:
13126cd1bb1bb3f633a4d52392974a23.jpg

I acquired some "chrome" covered "Limited" power fold mirrors. I want to do some custom paint, but there's one screw that's only accessible when the mirrors are folded. So I want to fold the mirrors BEFORE putting them onto the truck.

I tried applying 12v straight across the yellow & blue wires, but nothing happened. I also tried manually moving them, but they don't seem to budge.

My mirrors have two connectors on each mirror. The connector with the motor "signal wires" (Yellow and Blue) has 10 pins, not 6 (as in these drawings). So I'm not clear on how I might wire mine get them to fold without being on the truck?

Yellow - goes to the motor
Blue - goes to the motor
Black
Black
White

Brown
Black w/stripe
Red
Purple
(dark)Blue

HELP???

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
I recently installed set of OEM power fold tow Mirrors, work great, but no bracket, picked up a set, no hardware, does anyone have a solution instead of those Rivnuts from mopar?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I recently installed set of OEM power fold tow Mirrors, work great, but no bracket, picked up a set, no hardware, does anyone have a solution instead of those Rivnuts from mopar?

You can get the RivNuts much cheaper on Amazon or eBay. Just make sure you get the hex shaped ones, not the round ones. They're not hard to put in, I used the install tool that came with my tailgate dampner (DeeZee).

-K

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I acquired some "chrome" covered "Limited" power fold mirrors. I want to do some custom paint, but there's one screw that's only accessible when the mirrors are folded. So I want to fold the mirrors BEFORE putting them onto the truck.

I tried applying 12v straight across the yellow & blue wires, but nothing happened. I also tried manually moving them, but they don't seem to budge.

My mirrors have two connectors on each mirror. The connector with the motor "signal wires" (Yellow and Blue) has 10 pins, not 6 (as in these drawings). So I'm not clear on how I might wire mine get them to fold without being on the truck?

Yellow - goes to the motor
Blue - goes to the motor
Black
Black
White

Brown
Black w/stripe
Red
Purple
(dark)Blue

HELP???
You would use the yellow and blue wire in the black connector. Tap into the wires and connect one to the negative battery terminal and one to the positive battery terminal. If they don't fold simply switch the wires and they will. They will not work if you run a positive wire to both. They are controlled by a simple reverse polarity motor. Connect the wires one way and it opens connect them the opposite way and it folds but it has to be connected to a positive and negative. You can also manually fold power fold mirrors just like you can regular mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found an installation video from infotainment, it looks like it is all plug & play. I would need to get 2 door modules, and the new driver side switches but everything is just swapped out, doesn’t look too difficult.
All the wiring for all the 13 to 18 mirrors are the same. There is nothing you need to add to get the blinker/puddle lights to work besides enabling the LEB and LEC codes. Your current door modules have the correct slot for the extra white mirror connector. The dealer can add the LEB and LEC codes to your truck. The door modules you currently have support the auto dim, heat, memory, blinker light and puddle light. The only function they will not support is the power fold option. As stated you will need to change the door modules and the master switch plus enable the LER code. This is where it gets tricky. The dealers are unable to enable this code in many cases because it's not allowed in a particular trim level or option package. In this case you would need to enable the codes in another way. In this caseI recommend the Alfa tool over Infotainment's Genie . The Genie is expensive and will only enable the mirror codes. The Genie is also only capable of adding codes but not removing them or any other features. The Alfa tool is inexpensive and can enable any codes you want or disable any code you want plus can be used for diagnostics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
And if you are going to use a DPDT switch use this diagram:
13126cd1bb1bb3f633a4d52392974a23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so awesome. I've been wanting Power fold mirrors for many years but I put it off because the mirror were so expensive but now they are getting cheaper.
Then wasn't sure how to get to work on my 09.
Figured just needed to give them power but thought it would be to hard. This is super helpful.

I just bought some used power fold mirrors and got them to work by hooking them up to my drill battery.
But I think I killed the passenger side motor. Because it doesn't seem to work anymore. Plus there's a odd smell. lol.. oops

Few questions about wiring.

Where's a good place to get power around the drivers area?

Will I need a inline fuse on the power wire?

Think I'm going to get this switch.. Not many double pole switches out there to chose from.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-DPDT-...058443?hash=item4417433c4b:g:~~EAAOSwUd9agtKc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock