DIY thermal bypass valve replacement - 8 speed temps back under control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck's trans was always running kinda hot for my liking (195 under normal cruising) and I read quite a few posts on how this was supposedly normal. Then last summer I noticed it always continually creeping higher after a while of driving, approaching 200+ deg.

I started reading the forums and determined it to be the thermal bypass valve (TBV) on the side of the trans. Under normal driving conditions with cold ambient temps and during warmup, these transmissions are actually being heated by the engine coolant. The fluid is only being cooled when it really needs to be to save on friction and emissions.

There is a heater core on the side of the trans with a thermostat inside that regulates the amount of fluid going to the trans cooler and how much is being heated. Apparently these can go bad and as happened with mine are permanently heating the fluid.

The TBV is actually not that expensive to buy but the replacement is a major PITA. I originally bought a new one last fall but rounded off a torx bolt during the DIY (actually on the easy part of this DIY, haha) and put off the job until now as it wasn't an issue during winter and spring with cooler outside temps and never went over 200 deg anymore. Over the last couple weeks, though, in 80-90 deg weather, I could only drive 20-30 mi max before the trans was approaching 210 deg and I had to let it cool down.

So after finally getting that bolt out, I replaced the thing in my garage today, and it seems like it did the trick. Took it for a test drive and it never went over 185 deg anymore. Hope it's fixed for good. So, if you're seeing higher temps with your truck, consider replacing the TBV.

Parts needed:
Mopar P/N 52014750AE - heater assembly
1 qt ATF for the 8 speed

Tools needed:
- torx 40 or 45 cant remember
- allen key 8 mm
- bunch of common sockets and ratchets
- fexible hose pliers
- hose pinch pliers
- pick
- drain pan
- fluid pump for ATF
- torque wrench

DIY Procedure

1. take off the front driveshaft if you have a 4x4. Impact gun makes this much easier as you can't get to all the bolts at once and you'll need to switch it between 2wd and 4wd to rotate the shaft and break the bolts loose respectively
Mark the pinion to the shaft if you want to install it the way it was when you put it back together, shouldn't really matter though.

Now we're removing the brackets off the coolant and trans fluid lines to get some slack and wiggle room when removing the heater assembly later.

D2618353-4F91-4CCD-AB8A-0FEB62896769.jpeg
2. remove the shifter cable - pulls right off that lever and unclips from the bracket

5BE94937-6B8D-4CFF-AD43-03F324215F09.jpeg
3. remove the shifter cable bracket and cooler line bracket on the driver side (held on by the same two bolts) - these are T40 or T45 torx from the factory and they were really hard to break loose on my truck, may have Loctite on them as well and they're steel bolts in an aluminum casing so kinda tricky. Make sure to get a good grip on it as its also a tight fit for your hands. I didn't and rounded off the top one resulting in a huge headache. I eventually cut the shifter bracket and bought a new one just to be able to create a situation that loosely resembles accessability :D Replaced them with the regular hex bolts you see in the photo...

B76F8027-CB35-4F8A-B576-15D43C905BF8.jpeg
4. there is a bracket that holds the coolant lines in place on top of the trans on the pass side, unbolt it.

5. there are two brackets on the lower part of the trans on the pass side. one for the coolant one for ATF - unbolt both of them

Now the fun part starts. There is VERY little room for your hands so it takes some patience to remove the coolant hoses and tranny lines on top of the heater assembly. Make sure you wear safety glasses as there will be fluid spilling right on top of you.

6. I started with pinching the coolant hoses. If you don't do this, I would expect all the coolant to drain out of the truck once you remove the hoses. The FSM actually states to drain all coolant first. So make sure to pinch them tight.

7. To remove the clamps off the coolant hoses you'll need flexible hose clamp pliers, there's no way around these IMO. Even with them it was tricky cause some of the clamps are oriented in a way that makes it super hard to get the tool on. I actually removed the front hose last, after I had the whole assembly loose.
Some coolant will leak out of the heater, once you remove the hoses - about half a quart. So make sure you have a pan ready.

8. This is where I removed the 3 bolts holding the heater itself. Once it's off you'll have more wiggle room to get to the hoses and lines.
ATF will come out the heater once you slide it out of the trans - slightly less than half a quart for me.

9. Disconnect the trans cooler lines. Slide the plastic cover off the connector first. I used a small pick to remove the little metal retainers. Also takes patience as you can hardly see them from below, let alone reach them. Once the retainer comes off, the lines will slide right out the top. The retainers also fly off into oblivion pretty easily, but the new assembly comes with them so you won't need to look for them if they're gone…
2836F4E4-C85D-4C92-BB0E-5B5F5567F135.jpeg

10. clean everything up

11. connect the hoses and lines to the new assembly. I started with the front hose, then the cooler lines and the rear hose last.

12. bolt the heater to the trans, the new part had slightly different rubber grommets where it goes into the trans. The old part had little metal fittings with o-rings. These were apparently common to leak.

0748377C-2505-4268-BF57-490DF414C500.jpeg

13. secure all the brackets you removed in the beginning.

14. put the shifter cable back in place.

15. bolt the driveshaft back on (85 lb-ft)

16. refill trans

Here's how I did it, there are quite a few how to's on this all over the web:

Apparently you're supposed to have either the trans itself or the trucks frame level, seems to be kind of a debate.
I tried both, getting the trans level you'll have to jack the back of the truck up more than 3 feet, seemed pretty sketch.
Having the frame level (which is what the FSM says and makes the most sense to me as that is what happens when you put it on a hoist at the dealer) you'll need to jack the front a couple inches.

- Make sure trans temp is below 80 deg.
- start the truck
- remove the fill plug and pump in ATF until it spills out
- insert plug
- go into reverse for 5 s
- go into drive for 5s
- you need the rear wheels off the ground and the truck in 2wd for this! best only attempt with truck on hoist - let off brake and accelerate to 2nd gear, keep it there for 5s - I skipped this step as I did not have the rear wheels off the ground, I put back almost exactly as much fluid as I caught coming out, seems like it didn't matter that much
- go into neutral, rev to 2k for 5s
- put it back in park
- make sure the temp is still below 120 deg
- remove fill plug and let excess drip into pan
- tighten fill plug

17. enjoy your cool running trans

18. crack a cold one

You should probably bleed the cooling system but I couldn't find how and I figured half a quart could be replaced sometime by just topping off the expansion tank?

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

It's not hard to remove the tranny crossmember,2 bolts on each side,and you can drop the rear of the tranny and T-case down a fair bit,which gives you a little more wiggle room to get at the coolent hoses on top of the heater assembly.I agree they are a ***** to get at,lol.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If I had the 8 speed, I'd do it. Nice writeup.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be curious to see how your trans does this summer...please follow up with screenshots of your temps throughout the season during a variety of driving conditions. Also, where are you located?

TXCOMT

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice write up great work How much did the part cost you and what place did you get it from. Thanks again great info

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really hope mine never gets as hot as yours. That seems like a pain in the butt to change out! But much easier with your write up. Thanks!

OP
OP
nomercy346

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be curious to see how your trans does this summer...please follow up with screenshots of your temps throughout the season during a variety of driving conditions. Also, where are you located?

TXCOMT

Yeah, I'll keep you guys updated. So far it's looking pretty good, never went above 186 deg, although the last couple days have only been in the lower 80s. Next weeks forecast is calling for mid 90s again, though, so I’m curious how it’ll fare in real summer temps. I'm in Germany so mid to upper 90s is pretty much the max for summer.

Very nice write up great work How much did the part cost you and what place did you get it from. Thanks again great info

Got it off eBay from some dealership. They’re listed for around $110 right now but I believe they were only around $70 when I bought it last year, can’t really recall though.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NOMERCY: Excellent write up. I used to have an ED, and on another forum, a member had terrible problems with his trans. The stealership kept saying 3 way valve up on engine bad, etc. He had 247 deg tranny temps and more. Finally, he got a reputable place and they replaced the "heater core" on the trans and his problems solved.

Enjoy Deutschland, I did almost 10 years there. Awesome place...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sure would be nice if we could be confident a dealer would replace this single part, instead of making us all jump through hoops to prove there is an issue bad enough that warrants a complete transmission replacement (since that seems to be the only thing they will do in regards to the 8HP)

Mine seems to run between 180 and 190 during pretty much any outdoor temp. I dont ever tow, though.

The whole cooling setup is linked together, so I still wonder if you manage to cool down something else in the system (oil and/or coolant), will it lead to more "overhead" for the other components and cool them down as well. Exactly HOW to cool down the oil and/or coolant more, that is the question.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It sure would be nice if we could be confident a dealer would replace this single part, instead of making us all jump through hoops to prove there is an issue bad enough that warrants a complete transmission replacement (since that seems to be the only thing they will do in regards to the 8HP)

Mine seems to run between 180 and 190 during pretty much any outdoor temp. I dont ever tow, though.

The whole cooling setup is linked together, so I still wonder if you manage to cool down something else in the system (oil and/or coolant), will it lead to more "overhead" for the other components and cool them down as well. Exactly HOW to cool down the oil and/or coolant more, that is the question.

180 T-Stat and AGS delete drops the coolant down to a solid 185, but a tune is recommended and since I did the eFan swap it's required unless you run the AC all the time. Keeps my tranny right at 185 95% of the time where before it was usually right around 190 in the summer. It never went over 200 even with coolant temps around 210 so it was working ok, but after seeing this post I might think about replacing the heater assembly when it's time to service the transmission and go to the deeper PPE pan.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I need to keep my warranty intact (MaxCare Lifetime, too).

As long as they cover it, if it ever becomes an issue then so be it. Just annoying that they would rather see the trans grenade than take the time to replace that one part and save everyone a lot of time and effort.

OP
OP
nomercy346

nomercy346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Summer is back so here’s a quick update as promised:

This is where I’ve seen 213 deg and climbing before the repair: after about half an hour of normal driving, not working the truck hard, just going to the lake with the kayaks in the bed
CC8F8498-313E-4AF6-A645-26BE11222A78.jpeg

Highest I’ve seen so far was 190 in stop and go traffic and it dropped back to 186 once back up to speed.

Marczing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoormen
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was reading the 6spd has a thermocouple device as well, I know diesel performance products make a part for the 2500 3500 trans for the same problem, but it doesn't fit the 1500

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Summer is back so here’s a quick update as promised:

This is where I’ve seen 213 deg and climbing before the repair: after about half an hour of normal driving, not working the truck hard, just going to the lake with the kayaks in the bed
View attachment 171527

Highest I’ve seen so far was 190 in stop and go traffic and it dropped back to 186 once back up to speed.

I guess when it breaks it really breaks but when it's working good it works.

I pulled 8800 pounds roughly 500 miles and my trans temp never went above 194. That was a few weeks ago in all this heat we've got going on.

I'll be adding this page to my list of "just in case" pages should my transmission temps rise out of control like yours did.