DIY: Transgo HD-2 Shift Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a tutorial on installing a Transgo 45/545RFE-HD2 Reprogram kit. This applies to any vehicle that uses a 45/545RFE transmission. All Hemi or 4.7 powered Rams, Dakotas, Durangos, etc...

First, take a look at the supplied instructions. Familiarize yourself with them well, I will elaborate on these. MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Also take note, you DO NOT have to install the "Heavy Duty Underdrive Snap Ring" into the input clutch/drum or springs and valves into the transmission pump if you do not want to remove the transmission from your vehicle. However, I do recommend that you do, because this gives you beefed up parts designed to handle the increased line pressure this kit gives you.

The next document you should keep on hand is the 545RFE Transmission Manualhttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=DK0NSJYO This is a very handy manual to have around. It will tell you just about anything you need to know about this transmission.

Step One: Remove Transmission from your vehicle. (Or if you are skipping the pump and input clutch portion of the install, Skip to Step Fourteen) Refer to this tutorial here for detailed instructions on tranny removal http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...-tutorial.html

Step Two: Remove the torque converter. it just slides right off the input shaft. what you will be looking at behind the tq converter is the transmission front plate.

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

Step Three: Remove the front plate. It is held in place by two snap rings, one around the shaft, and one around the outer edge of the plate. I found that using a small flat head and a metal hook made it easy to work with. Once the snap rings are removed, I used a LONG flat head, and inserted it into a hole in the housing behind the plate, and gently tapped it out.

DSC_0101.jpg

Step Four: Now we are left with the fluid pump, we need to remove this. It is held in place by six hex bolts. once those are taken off, it will slide off the shaft.

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

Step Five: Remove the input clutch assembly. it should slide right out. You are going to want to move this to a clean work bench. without a bunch of clutter. you will need to be organized to keep track of these parts.

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

Step Six: Remove the first snap ring on the clutch retainer. It is the one right underneath the little lip on the protruding fins. Once the snap right is out of the way, remove the metal plate it was holding in place and the few discs that are under that. set those and the snap ring in a clean organized spot. (note, the snap ring we are replacing is located at the bottom lip of the before mentioned "fins" its a little ways down there)

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0117-1.jpg

Step Seven: Remove the next snap ring, it is located on the outside of the fins, and is holding down another thick metal disk. once removed set those in your designated area, and keep track of the order these parts are coming out.

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

Step Eight: Remove the input shaft and the gear it is attached to. once again, set in clean area, in order.

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

Step Nine: Now we are down to ring we are replacing. It is the ring located directly underneath the bottom lip of the "fins". you should have something that looks just like the first picture below, if you don't, you probably didn't remove enough parts and need to follow directions better. Remove this snap ring, and put in the new supplied one. It is a tight fit getting it in there. I used a flat head and mallet to tap it into place.

DSC_0113-1.jpg

Step Ten: Reassemble the input clutch assembly in the reverse order you took it apart, then put it back into the transmission.

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Step Eleven: Now we turn our focus to the fluid pump. You need to remove all torx bolts on the face of the pump, and the six around the pump shaft on the back. The bolts from the front of the pump are different from the bolts on the back, keep them separate. Now separate the front and rear of the pump.

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

Step Twelve: Working on one valve at a time, remove the retainer clips, and replace parts with the supplied ones as per the instructions. note that the springs are not under much tension at all, and aren't going to go flying off when the retainer is removed. Be sure not to drop or lose any parts though, as they are very small.

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

Step Thirteen: Reassemble pump, and put it back into the transmission. Tighten up all 6 bolts holding it in. Then replace the front plate, and hold it in place with the 2 snap rings.

Step Fourteen: Drop the transmission pan and remove the flat filter (it is held in place by one torx bolt) and the spin on filter (it spins on and off just like a normal oil filter)

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

Step Fifteen: Disconnect the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly. This is the huge plug on the driver side of the transmission.

DSC_0015-1.jpg

Step Sixteen: Remove the valve body. It is held in place by six hex bolts.

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

Step Seventeen: Remove the spring retention plate. Don't worry about springs shooting off all over the place when the cover is removed, there is no pressure on them at this point.

DSC_0142.jpg

Step Eighteen: Remove the springs and pistons, place them in your clean organized area, and mark where each one goes. Replace the lower seal on each piston, and add the wire expander. Add the washer and the new large spring into the Over Drive Piston. Place the stock springs (large and small) back into the Under Drive piston. Put a new large spring, and stock small spring into the 4th piston. New large and small springs into the 2nd piston And both stock springs back into the Low/Reverse piston. (note, all new springs are the same size, so just put one in where it's called for)

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

Step Nineteen: Now comes the tricky part, removing the end plug and switch valve. They are in there pretty snug. To remove it, I turned the valve body upside down, and had a buddy hold it while I tapped the backside of the switch valve port with a screw driver handle. This took quite some time. I got it out just enough to fit a fingernail underneath the lip of the end plug so I could pull it out. I then had to repeat the process for the valve. Now install the new switch valve and end plug.

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

Step Twenty: Put the pistons and springs back into their respective places. Now put the new supplied spring retention plate on. Use blue loctite on each bolt, and torque it down to 40 inch/lbs. The loctite and torque specs are extremely important, do not overlook this step!

DSC_0149.jpg

Step Twenty One: Put your valve body back into the transmission, put your filters on, put the TRS connection back on, use a factory gasket, RTV, or both to put the pan back on. Reinstall the transmission into the vehicle if you took it out. Fill with ATF+4.

Step Twenty Two: Warm up your fluid, top it off to the correct level, then enjoy the fruits of your labor with a much better shifting transmission.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Nice write up and very helpful. Im deff gonna have this up if I have any issues while installing my shift kit when my converter goes in.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you had all the pistons replaced and then turned the VB upside down to get the switch valve out and the pistons fell out, is there a cheat sheet for which piston goes where? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the pistons are the same FYI figured that out with a call to Dodge. Just finished snap ring install and valve body. Doing pump now then cleaning everything up to have the trans installed after Christmas :)

Thanks for the write up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro