Do Dual 220 Amp Alternators Lessen Fuel Economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Simply STUNNING but the picture is of a 1500 interior. The newer Gen 5 interiors have only in part made it to the HD line or did they for the 2023s? The biggest giveaway is the steering wheel controls. None the less, stunning.
The interior picture was screen shot from this last weeks build url, below, of my factory ordered 2023 3500 Longhorn. Scroll down in this link to the interior--where you can also click "Rotate 360"for a virtual view, as if sitting in the truck. Also visible are the newly redesigned side view mirrors. And the digital instrument panel cluster is also newly redesigned.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_3...7,NFC,SJE,XAN,SEB,LNC,LPD,WLA,NHK,MDN,UBQ,2HK

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Simply STUNNING but the picture is of a 1500 interior. The newer Gen 5 interiors have only in part made it to the HD line or did they for the 2023s? The biggest giveaway is the steering wheel controls. None the less, stunning.

2023 HDs have the new steering wheel controls, confirmed on Rebels and Power Wagons pre-release.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
2023 HDs have the new steering wheel controls, confirmed on Rebels and Power Wagons pre-release.

And a newly designed, all digital instrument panel/ cluster--as well as re-engineered side view mirrors. As shown in the pic on page 2.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Good common sense there. I am ordering the truck with the 2nd owner in mind. They might want to haul a 5th wheel, so I got the 5th wheel prep package. But with the standard output CTD, and the 68RFE, it couldn't be a giant 5th wheel with full a/c, so just one alt should do for them. They guess they could also add the 2nd afterwards. The order is being confirmed later this morning and I will delete the dual alts. Thanks!
I installed the second alternator on my 2016 3500 Cummins, didn't see any difference in fuel consumption. And installed it because also installed a 1000w inverter under the rear seat, turning it on from my Auxiliary switches. From the inverter I ran an extension cord into the box(with canopy) and when we go camping I load up a 3.5 cu.ft. chest freezer full of steaks, burgers and ice cream for the kids. Don't want to run the freezer in my Grand Design XLS21BHE camper while towing. So, money wise, cheaper than buying a special portable 12v freezer/fridge, which would be even less volume.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
This is the common sense I've been looking for in this thread. Thanks! :happy160:
That is if you're using those extra 220 amps. But if you're just operating your truck normally, that makes no difference. You just have 440 amps available instead of 220 in case you need them, for, like, a super powerful sound system, or anything else.