Do I Need a Rear Sway Bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alnbobby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine
On my previous truck (2017 RAM 2500 HD, short bed), I installed a Hellwig sway bar to improve rideability when using my 2,800 lb truck camper. I recently purchased a 2022 RAM 3500 short bed that has an air suspension system with no rear sway bar. I'm hoping to hear some feedback on whether I should pursue installing a Hellwig for my new truck. Will the air suspension perform well enough with that truck camper? Compared to my previous truck, the sway bar for my RAM 3500 will be more expensive and much more difficult to install.

Bike_Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't think you will need one. The 3500 had the springs further out for better roll support, not to mention being stiffer. Note that the 3500 still has leaf springs. The air springs are supplemental to level loads. It has an "alt trailer height" button that will let it sag an inch before load leveling. I bet running in that height would be even more stable.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are fine. The only reason the 2500 has one is because of the rear coils. ( a 2800lb camper was probably a bit much for a 2500).