Do I need Longer wheel studs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bacaruda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had these 305/50-20 tires on stock wheels for 2 or 3 years. I noticed the other day they have been rubbing the
end of the upper a-arm. Made a shallow groove, not to the cord. I think 1/4" spacer would take care. Would I need longer wheel studs for just 1/4"?

Jim

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I'm guessing that your RIMs OFF SET is causing that

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a 1/4” spacer no. But find a spacer that’s hubcentric. The stock lugs are decently long off the bat so no worries there.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you check your truck's wheel bearings ...just in case?

Also, is there any unnecessary material on the end of the upper a-arm you can grind off (w/o affecting safety)? Doesn't sound like you'd need to remove much. And just rounding off the rub area might help too.

OP
OP
bacaruda

bacaruda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rims are stock 20" with the plastic chrome.

OP
OP
bacaruda

bacaruda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jeepwalker, yea I think so thought of that too.

OP
OP
bacaruda

bacaruda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Asked for pics,,,,

Attachments

• Arm.jpg
    Arm.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
bacaruda

bacaruda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I'd heard heard on other site that you only need thread engagement equivalent to stud diameter. Well, after looking I'm not comfortable with that. I've been trying to find a compatible stud that is 1/4' longer thread. I thought I found them on ARP. Just the right length increase, knurl diam and length. Oh, I missed or read right past, thread dia is 5/8 instead of 9/16. Crap, pulling hair with Jeg's to get them. Now start all over.
Anyone have some ideas where I can get these? Is there a MOPAR stud that matches this criteria?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like a few whacks on the end of the UCA with a BFH would resolve the rubbing issue.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you only use a 1/4" spacer you will have plenty of thread engagement. It's a Ram not a pos Nissan lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, I'd heard heard on other site that you only need thread engagement equivalent to stud diameter. Well, after looking I'm not comfortable with that. I've been trying to find a compatible stud that is 1/4' longer thread. I thought I found them on ARP. Just the right length increase, knurl diam and length. Oh, I missed or read right past, thread dia is 5/8 instead of 9/16. Crap, pulling hair with Jeg's to get them. Now start all over.
Anyone have some ideas where I can get these? Is there a MOPAR stud that matches this criteria?
The stock studs are perfectly fine with a 6mm / 1/4" spacer.I've been running 6mm spacers on both the truck and the rear of the wifes Challenger with no issues for years,just spend the money for some good hubcentric spacers as the guys above have stated

BigMike71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't find a hub centric 1/4 inch spacer. The smallest hub centric I could find is .375 inch if I remember correctly. That said I have been on the hunt for longer studs as well. No luck yet. So if anyone can point me in the right direction please do.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Motorsport Tech has them. The Bora parent company. They can make anything. Stock offset wheels are the issue. Your stuck with using OEM UCA’s unless you go to a skinnier tire, offset wheels, or use a spacer. I ordered a set of 1.5” Bora’s. Waiting…I tried installing Zone UCA’s and couldn't get my wheel on the hub flush…
My sidewall never rubbed to the extent yours has, no marks on mine but I do have a slight rub at full lock on the sway bar.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually called them and talked through the hub centric and wheel centric stuff. Our hubs are 77.8mm and my wheels are 78.1mm. I was fretting over .3mm for no reason and wanted reassurance lol.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why would you mess with the cost and problems of spacers when you could easily gain an extra 1/8" (or more) by 'tweaking' your UCA in about 15 min of efffort? There's barely any wheel rubbing now. Probably only during wheel flex at sharp corners.

BigMike71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Motorsport Tech has them. The Bora parent company. They can make anything. Stock offset wheels are the issue. Your stuck with using OEM UCA’s unless you go to a skinnier tire, offset wheels, or use a spacer. I ordered a set of 1.5” Bora’s. Waiting…I tried installing Zone UCA’s and couldn't get my wheel on the hub flush…
My sidewall never rubbed to the extent yours has, no marks on mine but I do have a slight rub at full lock on the sway bar.
I emailed them today and they said that they do not have studs for my application. Any other suggestions?

BigMike71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would you mess with the cost and problems of spacers when you could easily gain an extra 1/8" (or more) by 'tweaking' your UCA in about 15 min of efffort? There's barely any wheel rubbing now. Probably only during wheel flex at sharp corners.
How are you tweaking the control arm? Looking at it I don't see that I can. The clearance is supper close with the oem wheels and 305/50 Toyo AT3 s that I'm running.