Do Rear Air Bags Limit Suspension Travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello everyone. I have a new to me 2016 Ram Quad Cab Big Horn. There were not factory air bags installed (I have the original window sticker) and there are no interior controls for them. Got underneath to look at the shocks and to my surprise there were air bags. PO must have installed them. I traced the lines to the back bumper and the line had been cut off 6’ after the tee. I got a push on air valve and put a little air (5 lbs) and the rear raised considerably. They seem to be holding air. Aren’t air bags supposed to have a at least a little air in them?
However, it occurs to me that they would actually limit suspension travel as installed (see photo). Would this be a correct assumption? I don’t ‘need’ them and if they’re doing more harm than good I’d like to remove them.

Thanks

Attachments

• A26674BF-F46D-4F34-AA53-2F3962AC0978.jpeg
    A26674BF-F46D-4F34-AA53-2F3962AC0978.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 20

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The air springs that are installed should have at least 5-7psi of air in them. Unless you are going to lift your truck or do some extreme off roading, they're not going to limit your suspension travel.

Those air springs just replaced the axle bump stops and are good for stabilizing any load you put on your truck or if you are going to tow with it.

Get an Airlift WirelessOne all in one compressor setup, hook it up with a push-on T fitting and you can control it wirelessly in the cab of the truck with the remote fob.

I had the Timber Grove Air Springs on my 18 Bighorn with the WirelessOne and it was an awesome setup.

Those look like Airlift LoadLifter 5000 air springs.

Last edited: