Do the upper trim levels really add to the towing or drving experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was looking at the upper trim levels, and bought a Tradesman again. Even the Tradesman has several different trims from the factory. I saw nothing in the Laramie or Limited that interested me except for braggin rights. And the payloads were too low. 800-1200 pounds less than my Tradesman.

I can do alot of travel for the $10,000 not spent on the Laramie or Limited trims. I can afford the upper trims, so that's not the issue. Even my new truck was more than my first house. And this possibly is my last truck.

I was kinda excited about the Android Auto, until I started to use it. Like many computer programs, it is just not as seamless or without annoying issues. I was hoping to be able to replace my RV GPS with a RV routing app. But found limitations as to what Android Auto will allow to be used. Which is why I was not interested in the GPS in the truck. Apparently they do not know what a 2500 or 3500 truck can pull and that some roads are to be avoided when doing so. Stand alone GPS units are just so much better than any in dash unit, and the phone apps can be slightly better with more current information.

What do the upper trims add to your experience once the newness wears off?
I also looked at different levels and bought a Tradesman 2500. Love it. I have already upgraded a number of things that ran me about $850 that in trim levels were over $1800, and I used FCA components for just about everything. I can buy leather seats as covers for a lot less than trim package, bit actually I am leaving cloth. I had it in my 2003 Ram I bought new and now my parents drive and still looked awesome. Had dogs, kids, burgers and dirt all over them, nothing a little cleaning didn't erase.

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So most of the trucks I have owned over the years have been trimmed not much above base through three of them were base level models. As I have never brought a truck new, it has been what I could find for what I needed/could afford. My 98 F150 XL was special ordered by my dad and was nicely equipped with a wonderful cloth 60/40 cloth split bench seat (just like the ones in the XLT) but missing cruise control (Which I added a factory kit to it). This Ram Laramie is the first truck I have owned that has had more than power windows, cloth seats, power locks cruise control and towing package with built in trailer brake controller. The price was right (in my budget) and was the best deal I could find within 100 miles back in June. Tradesman/SLT/Lone Star either of those trim levels would have been good for me as long as cloth seats (I ready love the vented leather seats in this truck).

I kind if wish I had this truck back in 2016 when I was commuting/moving between Washington DC and San Antonio. Would have been nicer on me the driver than my Super Duty was (ride and comfort wise). I guess getting older means you like a bit more comfort, years ago I did these drives in my base model F100 without even AC in the summer between New England and Texas and it never bothered me. Buy what suits you and your budget (and towing needs). But remember your wife (she might have a bit to say about comfort ;))

OP
OP
HDGoose

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
So most of the trucks I have owned over the years have been trimmed not much above base through three of them were base level models. As I have never brought a truck new, it has been what I could find for what I needed/could afford. My 98 F150 XL was special ordered by my dad and was nicely equipped with a wonderful cloth 60/40 cloth split bench seat (just like the ones in the XLT) but missing cruise control (Which I added a factory kit to it). This Ram Laramie is the first truck I have owned that has had more than power windows, cloth seats, power locks cruise control and towing package with built in trailer brake controller. The price was right (in my budget) and was the best deal I could find within 100 miles back in June. Tradesman/SLT/Lone Star either of those trim levels would have been good for me as long as cloth seats (I ready love the vented leather seats in this truck).

I kind if wish I had this truck back in 2016 when I was commuting/moving between Washington DC and San Antonio. Would have been nicer on me the driver than my Super Duty was (ride and comfort wise). I guess getting older means you like a bit more comfort, years ago I did these drives in my base model F100 without even AC in the summer between New England and Texas and it never bothered me. Buy what suits you and your budget (and towing needs). But remember your wife (she might have a bit to say about comfort ;))

This truck is my first new 4 wheeled vehicle I have ever bought for me. And at my age, possibly my last big truck. I did look at the uppre trim levels, but I would have had to order one without the sunroof. And it would have been yellow, and then sent to a custom painter to become a Packer truck!!

I find it funny that many folks are saying to buy what I can afford. I can afford any truck on the lot, or that I would order. As usual,I just do not fit in the upper trim trucks. I did consider an MDT RV hauler briefly. But My wife would have a hard time climbing up into the cab on too many days. But I had loads of headroom!!

Last edited:

Wyo72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I also went with the tradesman which for a brief time I kind of regretted. But after thinking about it its still the nicest truck I have ever owned and besides with the money I saved I can afford to add the goodies I actually want and are useful to me.

OP
OP
HDGoose

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I also went with the tradesman which for a brief time I kind of regretted. But after thinking about it its still the nicest truck I have ever owned and besides with the money I saved I can afford to add the goodies I actually want and are useful to me.

I'm probably going to order the 12VoltSolutions remote start add-on soon. Several times it would have been nice in this heat.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a Tradesman with the rear park assist and a few other options that I wanted such as dual alternators and snow chief. The biggest gripes I have so far:

1. The seats need lumbar support- I don't care that they're not power adjustable, I just really miss the power lumbar support from my 2016 Big Horn. I'm actively looking for seats to swap because I haven't found an aftermarket lumbar support that's comfortable. For short trips, it's fine, but when the camper is hooked up and we're driving for hours / days in a row, it gets quite uncomfortable. Full disclosure- I had back surgery a year ago and things still aren't quite right, so it might just be me.

2. The 60/40 rear seat with fold-flat floors was nice to have, especially to give my dog and daughter clearly delineated areas. I made a platform for the dog, but still.

3. No steering wheel mounted audio controls and no kit available yet, unless I missed it. It's a minor thing, but when you're on the road for 10-12 hours towing, it is nice to have the buttons on the steering wheel rather than reaching around. Granted, it's nothing major, it's just a consequence of downgrading from a Big Horn to a Tradesman. There wasn't a Big Horn to be had in the area without a mega cab, which I would have loved, but that added about $8,000 total over the Tradesman, which I couldn't stomach, not to mention trying to parl and plow with a truck that is even longer.

Overall, I think the Tradesman has come a long way in terms of appearance, it feels nicer than my 2014 1500 Express was. I do wish that an Express type option was available on the HD Tradesman to put some aluminum wheels on and get rid of some of the chrome. Nobody needs this much chrome, do they?

I don't feel the need for the lane departure alerts, adaptive cruise control, or any of the other similar options. Not to mention, aside from the initial cost, it would cost me a couple hundred dollars more per year to register a higher optioned truck. Effing taxes and registration fees :(
I would get a Chrome truck (instead of paint) if I could I fing love chrome

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would get a Chrome truck (instead of paint) if I could I fing love chrome
You can get a chrome wrap done, but don't expect to see where you're going when the sun is out. I'm a chrome fan as well. Funny how the chrome was the expensive option and now paint is more favoured so it's the more expensive option.
Works great for me though.

OP
OP
HDGoose

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
You can get a chrome wrap done, but don't expect to see where you're going when the sun is out. I'm a chrome fan as well. Funny how the chrome was the expensive option and now paint is more favoured so it's the more expensive option.

I've had a few motorcycle friends with chrome tanks. One was custom,the other was factory. Both ended up onthe display wall after the novelty wore off.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's fine at least other people will see me. Hell people might even thing it's the Alien mother ship :D

Reactions: BWL

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Things I didn’t want: Chrome, carpet, cloth seats, giant breakable screens, tech I won’t use, running boards, bed liners. See also, things I don’t want to pay for.

Would I like heated and ventilated leather seats? Sure... but not for the extra $10K and all the other fluff and all those things that beep and ding.

If you like features, gizmos, and filler, Ram has the truck for you. And they will make sure you drive away happy with years and years of payments.

Just because you dont like the extras why criticize the ones who do. I just ordered a 3500 limited and like all of the bells and whistles plus I dont have any payments as I am writing a check for the truck when I pick it up. You dont have to be straddled with payments if you dont want to .

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just because you dont like the extras why criticize the ones who do. I just ordered a 3500 limited and like all of the bells and whistles plus I dont have any payments as I am writing a check for the truck when I pick it up. You dont have to be straddled with payments if you dont want to .

If you don’t like people’s opinions, for or against a topic, then perhaps participating in these vehicle forums isn’t for you. I expressed my opinions on why I believe a lower trimmed vehicle was right for me. You clearly believe in the higher trim being right for you.

Neither of us are wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334