Do You Keep Your Cummins Exhaust Brake On All the Time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Never waited to see if it would decide to come on if I didn't press the brake. When I want exhaust brake I want it now not 10 seconds from now. If I want to coast I just don't fully let off the fuel. I'm glad FCA gave the option for Full/auto mode as some people prefer one over the other. For me the Auto mode is just a waste of a button push (especially since full comes first in the cycle).

BTW: the you tube video that was posted earlier in the thread also never had Auto engage the EB unless the brake was pressed.
I kind of wish FCA made 2 or 3 levels of EB like the semi's I drive. Sometimes you want a lot, sometimes not.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I kind of wish FCA made 2 or 3 levels of EB like the semi's I drive. Sometimes you want a lot, sometimes not.

I too wish we had a real Jacobs engine brake like semis engines have and not the turbo veined one we have now thou it is better then nothing....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a question, i have not been around small truck with the Exhaust Brake.

When the EB engages, does it make noise like a Jake Brake, or is it more like a Williams Controls Blue Ox Exhaust Brake Guillotine Style ?

Well, i guess i found the answer ...

I also found the answer on whether you should use Auto Mode all the time. when it engages, you are using ZERO fuel

Last edited:

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I like the VGT exhaust brake. It's quieter and simpler than a Jake brake. Doesn't require any additional parts vs what the truck needs to run anyway. With a load on some steep mountain switchbacks it'll make a ton of braking power.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I use Full EB only when towing. At least for me, Auto EB is not as smooth as I would like and it cuts off abruptly at around 25 MPH. I do do tow fairly often.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I like the VGT exhaust brake. It's quieter and simpler than a Jake brake. Doesn't require any additional parts vs what the truck needs to run anyway. With a load on some steep mountain switchbacks it'll make a ton of braking power.
My self having driven a semi truck with a Jake brake with a 3 stage switch I prefer the real thing over the Turbo type of exhaust brake currently on our trucks...

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Yes! The exhaust brake is one of my favorite features of my truck. I keep mine in Auto unless I am towing my toyhauler. Then I use full EB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba